The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a question/comment about another marque? Ask in here.
By Bi6Dom
Well what a bag of sh-t the RS has turned out to be!!! Just been in to visit a friend that refurbs wheels.... he bought the new RS at £36,500 5 months ago, just done 4000 miles and boom engine has gone. He gets a call from Ford today saying new engine, gearbox and clutch. Apparently the new RS is plagued with this fault. Cylinder head cracking and head gasket failing. Etc etc. He said “I should have bought a Type-R.”
By parsimony
The engine problem has been well known about for quite a long time although the latest theory is that mid 17 build cars onward should be OK.
Do you know what the build date of this RS was?
Ford have been replacing engines under warranty (and this will come complete with clutch) but I've never come across a gearbox replacement.
How is the gearbox affected by the engine failure?
By Bi6Dom
No idea why the gear box is buggered, as for year of build I don't know just that he bought it 5 months ago. From what he's saying he doesn't want the car back after the repair and wants his money in full back. He is absolutely livid that he's paid this much money on which is potentially a useless car. He has no faith in Ford or the RS anymore.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]