The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Done any mods? Let us have look or give us some tips.
By Danith
Well 2 questions really:

1. Is it worth it to shed 18(?) kg on a track car?
2. Is it simple to remove?

It's never worked since I've had it (5-6 years) so I was going to get it fixed but then it'd probably be better just to remove it to save weight?

I either want it working or removed completely. No point having that weight when it's doin nowt!
By wHAmEz
Think you answered your own question. Take it out. I've no idea how to remove it but if your building a track car weight is weight and 18kg is quite a bit [THUMBS UP SIGN]
If you're in control you're just not going fast enough
wHAmEz wrote:Think you answered your own question. Take it out. I've no idea how to remove it but if your building a track car weight is weight and 18kg is quite a bit [THUMBS UP SIGN]
If you're in control you're just not going fast enough
Yeh if it's Easy enough for a weekend diy mechanic to do with a few simple tools?
By Lewisgame
I've kept the A/C in my track EP3.
Mechanically it's everything a track car should be. But I've tried to retain some comfort as it gets driven across Europe to the Nürburgring.
If you're only doing tracks locally then I'd ditch it. Otherwise it's a nice bonus to keep for comfort.
Lewisgame wrote:I've kept the A/C in my track EP3.
Mechanically it's everything a track car should be. But I've tried to retain some comfort as it gets driven across Europe to the Nürburgring.
If you're only doing tracks locally then I'd ditch it. Otherwise it's a nice bonus to keep for comfort.
Yeah exactly. We've only really used it for annual nurburg trips and even though we've struck gold with the weather for 5 years we only desperately needed it once. Would be nice to have, but if it's s simple removal I could always put it back?
By Lewisgame
The A/C pump and condenser (big radiator at the front) is easy enough to remove. I'm not so sure how easy the pipes and the evaporator (part behind the dash) comes out.
To be honest I don't think 18kg weight saving is worth it for a hobby car and losing that added comfort. Just my opinion. Is 18kg less going to shave seconds of your lap times?
Lewisgame wrote:The A/C pump and condenser (big radiator at the front) is easy enough to remove. I'm not so sure how easy the pipes and the evaporator (part behind the dash) comes out.
To be honest I don't think 18kg weight saving is worth it for a hobby car and losing that added comfort. Just my opinion. Is 18kg less going to shave seconds of your lap times?
Oh God I'm not a pure lap time quoting, sparco shoe wearing nerd. Ha.
It's going cost a good 100-150 probably for a new condenser etc (presuming that's the issue after 6 years of not working) so it's just bugging me having it there when it does nothing.
Thought it might even out the weight stripping of the rear seats/plastics/tool kit/wheels etc

Also eyeing up some cobra Monaco seats as I believe the std ones are like 25kg each!? Shame as I love the oem seats

It's not so much lap times, but think it just livens the car up and makes it more nimble with less crap in it.
By Lewisgame
If you're not fussed about a bit of sweating or misty windows then just rip it out. It'll also make it far easier to fit an oil cooler if that's a future plan. Positioning the oil cooler in front of the condenser was very tight!
I personally can't live without A/C in a car.
Lewisgame wrote:If you're not fussed about a bit of sweating or misty windows then just rip it out. It'll also make it far easier to fit an oil cooler if that's a future plan. Positioning the oil cooler in front of the condenser was very tight!
I personally can't live without A/C in a car.
Bit of a luxury up in Stockport :)

Maybe I'll get a quote from a garage to either fix or remove
15repyt wrote:Leave it in. I would have wrote my car off by now when it rains if it wasn't for air con.

You can buy a compressor and drier which you will need from here
http://www.autoairconparts.co.uk/

Cheapest place I could find when I needed a condenser.
Cool thanks pal. Maybe I'll just get it sorted, one day I'll be glad I did it, ha. It'd leave a useless button too which would annoy me
By Chemical G
removed mine as hasn't worked for over a year and never use it anyway, pretty easy to take off just a case of removing front bumper and rad, the actual pump weighs about 10kg rest is not alot but it all adds up especially if your car is stripped out, plus bit less parasitic loss it seemed to rev a bit quicker once id finshed
Chemical G wrote:removed mine as hasn't worked for over a year and never use it anyway, pretty easy to take off just a case of removing front bumper and rad, the actual pump weighs about 10kg rest is not alot but it all adds up especially if your car is stripped out, plus bit less parasitic loss it seemed to rev a bit quicker once id finshed
Ha and now I'm back in the remove frame of mind
By Danith
Having it done. AC had never worked in the 7 years I've had it.

Ep is just for track anyway, Ring trips I'll be using the Fn2 with all the comforts.

Just had the AC fixed in my Fn2 and it cost £310!

£50 second hand pump, regas 1 (waste of time) £30, regas 2 £50, new condenser £100, labour £80.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]