The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

I've been giving this mod a bit of thought recently, and came up with a wiring loom diagram to ensure the dipped beam stays on when main is turned on.
However, I'm not 100% sure they actually do fit '01-'03 cars, so if anyone knows please post below - ta :wink:

It works like this:

Terminal 30 has a 12v battery supply to it via an in-line 15a fuse(not shown :oops:) I went straight onto the battery.
Terminal 85 has the constant 12v feed from the cars original h/lamp plug (Yellow/Red) and is then connected to one side of the dip beam bulb (outer headlamp) the other side of that bulb must be attatched to earth.
Terminal 87 goes to one side of the main beam bulb on the inner headlamp and the other side of that bulb is connected to the Red/Blue on the cars original plug, as this is a switched earth when main beam is selected.
Terminal 86 is connected to earth.

So when dipped beam is selected, the yellow/red is then live and feeds the dip bulb as well as feeding the relay at terminal 85, through the relay to 86 thus energising it.
Because the red/blue is actually live whilst dip is selected, the main beam bulb won't light up with the power supplied from terminal 87, but when main beam's selected, the red/blue wire is now earthed and the main bulb lights up.

Apologies for the poor drawing, I find it much easier to actually do the job than try to show on here how to do it :oops: :wink:

Edited because the original drawing wasn't strictly accurate - apologies :oops:
Last edited by mr bilko! on Tue May 04, 2004 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Gizmo-R
Nearly there mate!!!

86 and 85 connections should be swapped over (Remember the rhyme - 85, live!!)

What you want is the yellow dips supply to 87A (which would also connect to 87 to supply the voltage when relay trips)

So, when blue wire (main beam goes live) relay will trip onto 87 and then 30 will supply the dipped beam its power when main beam is on!!!!!

This theory does work its just doing the plugs bits and things that can be a headache!!! I suppose spade lugs and some serious bit of crimping may do the trick!!!

I'm tempted now!! :oops:
By mr bilko!
Thanks for that feedback Martin :D Strictly speaking you're spot-on :wink:

I'd not worried about the rhyme "85 for live" because my relay didn't have a one-way diode in the control circuit, so it works either way- it's an old cheapo one :lol:

It also doesn't have 5pins so 87a is vacant :wink:
By GRTYPE-R
I can't see the drawing...... :( :(
By mr bilko!
GRTYPE-R wrote:I can't see the drawing...... :( :(
I've just checked mate, and it's still there :lol:

I don't know if you can see it now.
By GRTYPE-R
Now I can see it......
By carvolution
mr bilko,
i have just brough the 04 lights and i have wired them up the way your picture shows, but when you switch the main beam on the dipped beam goes half power and the main beam comes on half power as well?
any ideas.
also on the honda plug you have 3 wires, one 12v all the time that the lights are on, on that shows 0v all the time, and one that shows 12v when dipped beam is one but when you switch on the main beam it goes to 0v.
now electrics are not my thing, so i need some gidance as i am up sh*ts creek and there is no paddle in sight!!!
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
cheers
By mr bilko!
carvolution wrote:mr bilko,
i have just brough the 04 lights and i have wired them up the way your picture shows, but when you switch the main beam on the dipped beam goes half power and the main beam comes on half power as well?
any ideas.
also on the honda plug you have 3 wires, one 12v all the time that the lights are on, on that shows 0v all the time, and one that shows 12v when dipped beam is one but when you switch on the main beam it goes to 0v.
now electrics are not my thing, so i need some gidance as i am up sh*ts creek and there is no paddle in sight!!!
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
cheers
Please have another look at the drawing on my 1st post - I've edited it because it wasn't dead accurate - sorry for misleading you :oops: :oops:

The one that goes to 0v when you select main beam is the dipped beam feed. The one that's at 0v all the time is more than likely the earth wire, and the one that stays on all the time the lights are on is the sidelight feed

You don't state if you have a live feed when main beam's turned on :?

On my edited drawing you'll see the earth side of both bulbs are joined to the cars earth wire in the original plug, see if that's where the problem is, and don't forget that this is for one side only, you'll have to do the same mod on the other side.

Here's a link explaining how a relay works with a clearer diagram:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/fr ... basics.htm
By carvolution
thanks for the speedy response. i will try this tomorrow and let you know if it solves it!
cheers
By mr bilko!
It would've been speedier if I didn't have to make another drawing to replace the duff one :oops: I've been on it for 1.5 hrs :roll:

Hope you get it sorted ok and then you can blast around as fast in the dark as in daylight - just like me :wink:
By carvolution
a quick question again for you, the 12v all the time is on the headlamp plug, and the sidelight feed surley would be on the seperate plug for the sidelight plug.
so does this mean that the one that stays 12v all the time when the lights are on, is the main beam wire?
By mr bilko!
carvolution wrote:a quick question again for you, the 12v all the time is on the headlamp plug, and the sidelight feed surley would be on the seperate plug for the sidelight plug.
so does this mean that the one that stays 12v all the time when the lights are on, is the main beam wire?
I wouldn't think so mate, the main beam wire would only be live when main beam's turned on. I'll have a look at mine tomorrow and see what wire does what and what colours they are, then post the info here for you.

I don't know why you've got a live wire all the time in the headlight connection plug because as you rightly say, the sidelight wire is on a different plug :?
By mr bilko!
I'm still sussing out how the CTRs wiring works as opposed to "normal" European ones, I assumed (wrongly) that they were the same.

I've checked out the 3pin headlight bulb plug wires on mine and I see what you mean by having a live all the time the lights are on. So far:

Red/Blue wire is a live when dip is on, but dead when main's selected.
Yellow/Red is an earth on dip, but open circuit on main.
White/Red is live on dip and on main.

To rub salt in my wounds, my wiring book for the Morettes is at work, and the Morette web site has the wiring page under construction :roll: and the Punto we also have Morettes on is wired as per "normal" European cars as per my diagram. So, even if I have to take my front end off and take a morette out, I'll get the wiring dead right for you :oops:

see http://www.morette.com
By carvolution
i have just wired the circut as you said and it puts on the main beam stright away when you select the diped beam and then if you flash the main beam you blow the fuse stright away?
any ideas?
By mini bilko
Print off original drawing from Mr B's 1st post.

Now - looking at the relay terminals, the white/red from the car plug (constant live with headlights ON) goes to pin85 and also the dipped beam on the n/s headlight. The other side of the dipped beam bulb goes to earth. The o/s dipped beam is white/red from the cars original plug, connect this to the dipped bulb and the other side of the bulb to an earth.

Pin30 on the relay needs to be a 12v constant live from the battery with a 15amp in-line fuse.

Pin86 on the relay needs to go to earth.

Pin87 on the relay needs to have 2 wires coming from it, each of which going to one side of both main beam bulbs (run a wire across the car from left to right to get to o/s main beam bulb terminal).

The yellow/red from the cars original headlight plugs are NOT USED at all !

So looking at the n/s wiring, the red/blue from the cars original headlight plug goes to the other side of the main beam bulb - this is a switched earth on main beam. This is where the confusion has developed from :wink:

Hope this helps.

Mr B will put a drawing up later - we're going to fit my carbon bonnet now :P
By carvolution
sorry to say, but with your circut setup, nothing works?
By mr bilko!
As mini posted, look at the drawing but ignore the way I originally wired up the relay on it. Now substitute the wires as per mini Bs post as that is exactly how my Morettes are wired.

Just a thought, you've replaced the blown fuses haven't you?

Pm me with your phone number and I'll talk you through it if you're still stuck.
By mr bilko!

Follow the instructions as per mini b's instructions and that's exactly how my lights are wired up. This drawing is for one side only and to get the other side hooked in, tee onto the yellow/red before the dip bulb and send it over the front of the car to the drivers side to power the dip bulb there.
The other side of the drivers dip should be attatched to an earth also.

For drivers main beam, tee into the wire you have made up to power the main beam between 87 and the bulb and send that over to the drivers side.
The other side of both mains then plug into the red/blue on the cars original plugs (switches to earth when main beam is turned on)
Last edited by mr bilko! on Tue May 04, 2004 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By carvolution
mr bilko!
you are the man!!!!!!!!!
thanks for the phone call and as soon as we worked out that stupid Honda changed the colours on the headlight loom, everything worked.
thanks again for all your help and you are a legend in all ways!
cheers

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]