The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to the MY07+ (FN2 & FD2) Civic Type R.
By Private Custard
A small niggle that I was wondering if there's a fix for. My clutch pedal doesn't feel like it has a huge amount of travel, and feels quite stiff, particularly the final third. The biting point is also right at the bottom. Is there any way to make it feel more 'normal'? The gearbox feels sweet, but fast shifts are a right pain when hammering up through the box.
I was wondering about that. Looks like a couple of bolts to mess about with under the dash. I might have to find a guide somewhere. It's probably mechanically fine, I'm just fussy on the feel of a clutch pedal. It's strange, going from a fairly normal feeling clutch on my '52 Celica, to this, which is fairly unforgiving!
By ABP MOTORSPORT
Hi,

We see quite a few of the CTRs with a heavy clutch feel and low biting point.

A new clutch kit will make it feel totally different as sometimes this happens to the clutch gradually so you dont notice it getting to the point it is now.

Fit a new clutch and you will wish you had done it long before now.

Hope this helps?

Dave.
The clutch itself feels fine, no slip under load. I'll try the biting point adjustment before going any further. After todays news on the roof rust issue, I think it's worth sorting properly if neccessary.
By Danith
I'm in exact same boat. The pedal in my Ep now feels light as a feather in comparison to my recently acquired Fn2! The FN is on 76k now.

Had the clutch bled, braided line (just cos why not), pedal has been adjusted and the bite pt is a bit better but the pedal is still really stiff and gearchange feels pretty laboured (but not crunches or slipping). Read up that it's most likely a worn pressure plate spring/mechanism?
Looking likely that I'll get it changed anyway. Been quoted between 300-380 so far. YAY!
By Lewisgame
Don't adjust the pedal. It's a bodge fix to the real problem which is the clutch itself. Clutch pressure plate diaphragm spring is the fault and the cure is a new clutch kit.
If you adjust the clutch pedal to a faulty clutch, it'll then require adjustment again to the new clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By SFerraro
Danith wrote:I'm in exact same boat. The pedal in my Ep now feels light as a feather in comparison to my recently acquired Fn2! The FN is on 76k now.

Had the clutch bled, braided line (just cos why not), pedal has been adjusted and the bite pt is a bit better but the pedal is still really stiff and gearchange feels pretty laboured (but not crunches or slipping). Read up that it's most likely a worn pressure plate spring/mechanism?
Looking likely that I'll get it changed anyway. Been quoted between 300-380 so far. YAY!
Hi,
I just bought a 2008 Type R FN2 model, with only 46K, and I have the same issue !! Bit point is on the floor, clutch is so stiff, really seems to be a mechanism issue. I have checked the fluid level and colour, it is all perfect !
I am a bit disapointed with such low mileage to have such an issue...

So do I then have to change the clutch ?
If so, what is the best "fast road" clutch to buy ? I'm not really into OEM as it could lead to same issue, but more in aftermarket one. What is best option : Exedy ? Exedy Stage 1 (a bit more resistant) ? But I had a new Exedy on previous car and they were known to be noisy (and I had the issue !), so I'm not really confident any more with the clutchs world !!!!!!!

Thanks for your feedback :-)
Last edited by SFerraro on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Commander
SFerraro wrote:
Danith wrote:I'm in exact same boat. The pedal in my Ep now feels light as a feather in comparison to my recently acquired Fn2! The FN is on 76k now.

Hi,
I just bought a 2008 Type R FN2 model, with only 46K, and I have the same issue !! Bit point is on the floor, clutch is so stiff, really seems to be a mechanism issue. I have checked the fluid level and colour, it is all perfect !
I am a bit disapointed with such low mileage to have such an issue...

So do I then have to change the clutch ?
If so, what is the best "fast road" clutch to buy ? I'm not really into OEM as it could lead to same issue, but more in aftermarket one. What is best option : Exedy ? Exedy Stage 1 (a bit more resistant) ? But I had a new Exedy on previous car and they were known to be noisy (and I had the issue !), so I'm not really confident any more with the clutchs world !!!!!!!

Thanks for your feedback :-)
Would also like to know this!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
By Danith
Absolutely 100% oem which is exedy. Don't need an uprated clutch, these things have no torque. The springs in the pressure plate are what get tired, not the clutch friction plate
By Commander
Danith wrote:Absolutely 100% oem which is exedy. Don't need an uprated clutch, these things have no torque. The springs in the pressure plate are what get tired, not the clutch friction plate
Thanks mate!

By SFerraro
Do you have please a reference of the Exedy which is correct ? Do the springs are trustable on the Exedy ? Heard that Exedy can be noisy in mechanism...
An Exedy Stage 1 is not much more expensive and could be stronger, what do you think ? I just want to put a strong and fully trustable and reliable clutch, what do you guys recommand (with a product reference would be great :-) for FULL peace of mind ? :-)
Thanks in advance
By Danith
Mine is not noisy at all. I've had them in my ep3 and fn2 and have been fine. Usually about 120 pounds in ebay and tegiwa
By SFerraro
Fair enough, thanks ;-)

On Tegiwa, they have RPC Stage 1 clutch, same price as OEM, do we have any feedback for RPC products ?

They also have lighweight flyweel (4.3kg), is it worth changing the flywheel on a FN2 type R ?

Furthermore I see a basic Exedy clutch is £133 on RHDperformance website, is it really good clutch, don't want face anymore a noisy or springs issue :-( :-(
https://www.rhdperformance.co.uk/honda- ... -621-p.asp

Thanks

Cheers

Added in 1 hour 7 minutes 31 seconds:
Furthermore I see a basic Exedy clutch is £133 on RHDperformance website, is it really good clutch, don't want face anymore a noisy or springs issue :-( :-(
https://www.rhdperformance.co.uk/honda- ... -621-p.asp
By SFerraro
Hi,
I'm looking to an Exedy OEM clutch, but can I trust the Ebay seller, they have Exedy OEM at £139 and Stage one at just above £240 ? Is it real Exedy and not "copy" ??
I just want be sure the springs are not failing as it is the reason of why I change the clutch, so is Exedy having no issue ? because I'm disapointed with honda OEM clutch which failed under 45.000 miles on mine... :-(
Thanks
BR
By Commander
SFerraro wrote:Hi,
I'm looking to an Exedy OEM clutch, but can I trust the Ebay seller, they have Exedy OEM at £139 and Stage one at just above £240 ? Is it real Exedy and not "copy" ??
I just want be sure the springs are not failing as it is the reason of why I change the clutch, so is Exedy having no issue ? because I'm disapointed with honda OEM clutch which failed under 45.000 miles on mine... :-(
Thanks
BR
Ignore ebay and get it from a reputable seller. Give rich at Abp a shout and he can sell you one.
Or cox motors. You'll be looking at between £200-230

long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]