The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to the MY07+ (FN2 & FD2) Civic Type R.
By Pat88
Hi people,

What are peoples thoughts/opinion of an FN2? Been debating whether to get an FN2 or a teg DC5, ive always wanted an DC5 but finding one with decent mileage is hard to find.. ill be using the car daily and maybe doing a few motorway journeys soon.. Not a fond of diesel engines before anyone start telling me to get one lol.

Ive sold my ep3 just before christmas and want another vtec adrenaline.

Im in 2 minds..

Any advice/help be much appreciated.

Thanks
Pat
My opinion:
The interior is a lovely place to be.
The engine is what you'd expect from an EP3 in a heavier car.
The exterior is love or hate. I hate.
The handling is that of a fat car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By dweezle
:Fufu:
The Fn2 is actually lighter ;)
They share the same 0-60 and top speed (the FN2 is 1 HP more though) ;)
Handling the FN2 is excellent, even better if you go for the Cw, Mugens or any later release (slip diff)
Looks, nothing wrong with them, I'm a big Cw fan and I mugened my old one up and it looked stunning, and there's plenty others out there that look even better
Tuning, TDI are offering a new generation tuning package for the fn2

DC5s look stunning for their age and I wouldn't mind one but I would rather have one as a weekend car, something to have some fun in,
If you're going to be doing some miles and a daily driver I would go for the FN2, It's a nice place to be, very spacious, plenty of rear room for kids, huge double boot,
I use to read EP3 owners slating them but there's more and more popping up in FN2s and are actually enjoying them
If you can, go for a nice Cw one or even the blue (they're even rarer than the CWs & mugens)
The FN2 is not a bad car, most of the negativity it suffers is a result of Honda's missed opportunity to evolve the Type R onward from the benchmark the EP3 set 5-6 years earlier.

IIRC the Fn2 is approx 75kg heavier that the EP3, this is offset via the shorter final drive (5.06).

The suspension is less sophisticated to save on cost and requires higher spring rates to achieve the expected handling performance. This is why people moan about the ride quality.

However the chassis is more stable and of higher rigidity overall resulting in better high speed manners and less lift off oversteer.

Engine wise, the k20z4 on average actually makes more than 201bhp (more like 210) and brings its torque in earlier than the EP3. It has a better intake manifold, cylinder head and camshaft design.
But sadly it has a terrible exhaust manifold / exhaust route and runs an oil pump balancer, which both hinder tuning efforts somewhat.

All in all, as a daily driver it will be more livable than a teg *if you buy some better springs / coilovers and get the geo setup properly.
By Pat88
Much appreciate the input guys!

I have got my eye on an 2009 in a Dark Bronze colour! actually looks really nice and also has alot of features in it and only has 30k on the clock! so thinking that would be alot comfier drive on motorway than the DC5. As much as i do want a DC5 id hate to ruin it by putting the miles on it just from motorway journeys.

Also whats the vtec cross over like compared to other Type R's? is it still as aggressive even if i was to change the air filter?

Though i did get slated from my friends for thinking of an FN2 but to be fair, they have grown on me, i do like them inside out just wished they had the needle dials rather than digital lol (thats in my opinion)
By w6ady
Best thing to do is drive one see what you think. When I bought my ep3 I drove it and a fn2 back to back and made my choice. I thought the ep3 felt more nimble and but more frisky. The fn2 had a nicer interior but the ride in my opinion was awful. Definitely needed something changed as it was so crashy over bumps in the road. Go drive one and make a decision.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]