The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to the MY07+ (FN2 & FD2) Civic Type R.
Mine has the rust on the roof and bottom of the doors , mine is a 57 I'm second owner so dont know if it was recalled previously , I'll be paying Honda a visit to see what's the story , bit gutted cos the car is allibaster silver and we all know how hard that will be to match I'll need to get some pics taken
eddgreen wrote:Where exactly on the doors should i be looking? is it behind the trims on the inside along the bottoms? it's an FN2 by the way! :(
well mine was at the top edge of the door, pull back the window rubber to check,mine was only a little but i took it back and they sorted it straight away.
nurburgring wrote:
eddgreen wrote:Where exactly on the doors should i be looking? is it behind the trims on the inside along the bottoms? it's an FN2 by the way! :(
well mine was at the top edge of the door, pull back the window rubber to check,mine was only a little but i took it back and they sorted it straight away.
Mines in the same place, just waiting now for it go in to be re painted.
I know most people seem to be using oil/wax as an extra precaution to stop further rust but there is a very good product called acf-50.

It's basically stolen from the aircraft industry and is safe to apply on almost everything. It's prevents corrosion and also stops and deactivates any active rust. I use it on my bike since its components are far more exposed than a car and therefore needs extra protection. It's cheap to, about £13 a tin, which lasts forever. It's a highly rated product and could be useful on the CTR!

Worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just found some not on doors but on the inside of my boot, i noticed that my boot wasnt sitting quite flush with the wing on one side under the light so i popped up the boot and have noticed paint missing 5p size with rust and coming off that is about a 8 inch line of cracked flaking paint. only had it 4mth its still under warranty 09 cw fn2 will this be a warranty claim or will my local honda dealer put it down to previous owner (like they are saying at the minute with my clutch and gear box problems)
Reading through most of the responses on the rust / thin paint saga, i think you will find that the main cause of the rust on the doors is not altogether to do with thin paint.

Yes, Honda are known for 'thin paint', i know, because i work there and used to spray the bumpers and trims on all models.

I believe that your problem is to do with thin or lack of Sealer along the weld seams and sashes.

I now work in the Sealer line, doing the new Civic and Jazz. A team of 25 associates and 6 robots is what it takes to seal the whole car before it goes through to the paint process.

I have only been on Sealer line for 4 months and it is a tricky process when sealing the weld seams and sashes [in a 1min 44sec process time]. This can result in some areas of the car to have a thinner application of sealer. We are currently working closely with the Japanese managers to improve the way in which we seal the cars and also Weld are looking into using a new weld technique.

It only takes a pin hole size gap in any area of the sealer to enable water and moisture to get in [hence your rust patches].
There is the 12yr corrosion warranty that i would imagine most of you are aware of and have quoted when returning your car to the main stealers, sorry, dealers !

Like most of you have said, they seem to be doing a 'quick fix' with grease, tape, more paint etc. I hope it lasts, but i doubt it.

We do in house testing for water leaks and rust etc, but no reports of any problems on the current models.........yet :problem:

I hope i haven't bored you all to tears and that i have made things a little bit clearer with regards to your rust problems.
NORRO75 wrote:Reading through most of the responses on the rust / thin paint saga, i think you will find that the main cause of the rust on the doors is not altogether to do with thin paint.

Yes, Honda are known for 'thin paint', i know, because i work there and used to spray the bumpers and trims on all models.

I believe that your problem is to do with thin or lack of Sealer along the weld seams and sashes.

I now work in the Sealer line, doing the new Civic and Jazz. A team of 25 associates and 6 robots is what it takes to seal the whole car before it goes through to the paint process.

I have only been on Sealer line for 4 months and it is a tricky process when sealing the weld seams and sashes [in a 1min 44sec process time]. This can result in some areas of the car to have a thinner application of sealer. We are currently working closely with the Japanese managers to improve the way in which we seal the cars and also Weld are looking into using a new weld technique.

It only takes a pin hole size gap in any area of the sealer to enable water and moisture to get in [hence your rust patches].
There is the 12yr corrosion warranty that i would imagine most of you are aware of and have quoted when returning your car to the main stealers, sorry, dealers !

Like most of you have said, they seem to be doing a 'quick fix' with grease, tape, more paint etc. I hope it lasts, but i doubt it.

We do in house testing for water leaks and rust etc, but no reports of any problems on the current models.........yet :problem:

I hope i haven't bored you all to tears and that i have made things a little bit clearer with regards to your rust problems.
Informative post [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
Mine is going in next week for this to be done under warranty (drivers door). Dealer sent the claim off to HUK on 11.09.2012 and it came back today approved.
Pink Jazz replacement offered, declined :lol: I wanted to try out a Jazz EV but they didn't have one free :sad: Then they wouldn't let me have the Legend on the forecourt :evil: :lol:
Honda did implement a minor fix to the MY09 cars by extended some rub protection. The issue mine has is a tiny spot of rust on a seam in the same area. It appears like the weather seal has collected water and held it there while the rust formed.
IMO it's only a problem if Honda don't acknowledge the problem. They have and they are fixing it.
Noticed that along the seal where the windscreen meets the roof there is rust. It's not terrible but is noticeable and is worse on the area beneath the seal when peeled back. Trip to Honda who have taken photos and are awaiting approval from Honda UK for full roof re spray and treatment. Car is only a 57 plate and has already had door rust treated.

It's just not acceptable that modern cars like these should be suffering from rust so early on. Whether its down to seals being too tight and cutting into the paint or poor paint quality, there's no excuse. I have total confidence in the car mechanically, I'm sure the engine will last forever but what's the point if the rest of the car has rusted away!! My first and last Honda!
Welshy81 wrote:Noticed that along the seal where the windscreen meets the roof there is rust. It's not terrible but is noticeable and is worse on the area beneath the seal when peeled back. Trip to Honda who have taken photos and are awaiting approval from Honda UK for full roof re spray and treatment. Car is only a 57 plate and has already had door rust treated.

It's just not acceptable that modern cars like these should be suffering from rust so early on. Whether its down to seals being too tight and cutting into the paint or poor paint quality, there's no excuse. I have total confidence in the car mechanically, I'm sure the engine will last forever but what's the point if the rest of the car has rusted away!! My first and last Honda!
Slight overreaction imo.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]