The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Last years installment of the Euro Tour!
By SharkyUK
Here is a small selection of photo's that Salem or myself took during the Tour. Unfortunately we have been at a BBQ today and not had time to sort through all of our pictures. Anyhoos, enjoy and I hope some of them bring back a few memories for those who actually took the full routes.

Cheers,
Salem & SharkyUK

Pics begin...

Day 1
Having arrived in Boulogne (and getting a little confused when TomTom threw a wobbly and sent us round the same roundabouts 3 or 4 times...) we eventually made our way towards Reims. Upon arrival we encountered a classic car rally but didn't meet up with anyone else as we assumed they must have left without us. Just a few pics...

By SharkyUK
Day 2
A drive down from Dijon to Nice - passing through Quet-En-Beaumont amongst other places. As we headed up over the hills and through the lavender fields we were stopped by the police and told to turn back... as new road surfaces were being laid. Thus, we had to divert and take an alternative route and added another good 45 miles! Good roads though... :cool:

Despite the diversion we still were able to enjoy the Verdon Gorge and surrounding area but it made for a very long day.

By SharkyUK
Day 3

The day of rest... so we ended up taking a trip to St Tropez and took a boat trip. On the way home we found a quiet beach and soaked up the sun, went for a paddle to cool down and generally chilled out.

By SharkyUK
Day 4

This is where the challenging driving started (not really a good route for the faint-hearted or those who are scared of heights, or long drops). After losing Malc and Ann, who took a wrong turn, we hung around and waited for a while but got a call from them to tell us to keep going; we would meet later at the hotel. Later in the day we caught up with the NW group before heading off for Val d'Isere... only to have Malc and Ann catch us up on the far side of Val d'Isere! They must have been driving like a bat out of hell so it's little wonder that Ann refused to go any more mountain routes. I don't think she was the only one on the Tour who was a little scared or apprehensive with regards to the routes through the Col's and Passes.

By SharkyUK
Day 5

As Malc and Ann were no longer travelling with us (and realising how demanding the day ahead was likely to be) we set off on our own shortly after Dave and a couple of others around 6:20am. We were hoping to get an early start and miss some of the traffic as we believed the full route would be nigh on impossible to complete in a sensible time if we started any later. Little did we know that the journey over Furka pass was very nearly our journey over to the 'other side' when a freak hail storm hit us as we began our descent. The car slid on the marble-like hail and Salem had no control as the car headed straight for the edge of the road and the 150ft drop... Luckily Salem stayed calm and a combination of careful handbrake control and camber stopped us from going over. As the camber turned the car the opposite direction we were then headed for the rocks and still the car was uncontrollable. I noticed a gravel pull in / layby and pointed it out and Salem managed to get the car aimed at it. Thankfully the she kept the wheels turning steady and was able to point the car at it and the gravel layby pulled us up. Luckily we got it in the layby and sat for a few minutes to let the storm pass and - eventually - laugh at what was a bit of a close call. Scariest moment ever for the both of us. We still had to get down the rest of the pass however so we decided to wait for the hail storm to pass before going any further... We did our best to warn others of the bad conditions by ringing back to the hotel and trying to contact people who may have been able to pick us up on the walkie-talkies.

It didn't get any better once we arrived at the Stelvio Pass either as it started to bloody snow when we got there. Still, we were able to complete the full route and I believe we were the first to arrive at the destination hotel later that day (of those who did the full route) - not that it was a race.

By SharkyUK
Day 6

After the previous day's ordeal (and the very poor weather conditions) we did very little this day and didn't take many photo's at all - we wanted to spend some quality time together. Obviously we still had to get along the route from one hotel to the next so here are the respective hotels!

By SharkyUK
Day 7

Today was the day that we headed towards a rather quirky (but lovely) hotel not too far from the Nurburgring. We bumped into Craig in the car park (not literally) and he kindly offered to show us the way to the 'Ring. Salem was lucky (or brave?!) enough to enjoy a passenger lap with Craig in his Scoobyroo. :cool:

A handful of pics...

By SharkyUK
Day 8

After meeting and chatting with George et al at breakfast (and hearing about the previous nights events!) they kindly offered to take us back to the 'Ring to show Malc the ropes of where to go, etc. once there. Shortly after arrival Malc was on the first of his 4 laps (having just had a passenger lap with George - big thanks to George!) It put a smile on the old man's face :wink:

Whilst Malc was on his early lap Spencer invited me out for a passenger lap and, well, fair play to you Spence... you're a cracking driver and it was a great experience to see you and your CTR hassling (and passing) the likes of Twin Turbo Supras... :thumbup: Big thanks!

Big thanks to the southern boys from Salem, Malc, Ann and myself for the warm welcome, help and advice. :thumbup:

A few more pics...

By dexterR
Mate, apologies if I`m wrong here, but I take it that Lynda is your missus.

Anyway, whether she is or isn`t, pass on my compliments regarding the photos; they are TRULY excellent !

Possibly the best quality photos I`ve seen on this forum mate, and it`s not just the subject either; it`s the skill and the "eye" of the photographer.

Well done to all of you, for what looks like a great trip, and thanks for posting those marvellous pics................ :thumbup:
By salem
dexterR wrote:Mate, apologies if I`m wrong here, but I take it that Lynda is your missus.

Anyway, whether she is or isn`t, pass on my compliments regarding the photos; they are TRULY excellent !

Possibly the best quality photos I`ve seen on this forum mate, and it`s not just the subject either; it`s the skill and the "eye" of the photographer.

Well done to all of you, for what looks like a great trip, and thanks for posting those marvellous pics................ :thumbup:
Yes me Salem (Lynda) is Sharkyuk (Andy's) missus

Thank you very much for your kind words £20 is in the post to you :smile:
By salem
dexterR wrote:Nice one Lynda; and if you aren`t making loads of money from taking photographs, then you should be !

I honestly think they`re exceptional. :thumbup:
:oops: make money oh I wish..

However I was chuffed to bits when Andys best mate asked if he could use one of my pictures (the lotus one) for a magazine :-D
By SharkyUK
To echo the comments of my good lady I'd also like to say thanks for the kind words. :-D We are both still new to this whole digital photography lark so the comments are very encouraging!

I took 1000+ pictures over the course of the Tour and I'll be putting them all online over the coming days. Watch this space...

Cheers,
Andy
By SharkyUK
I took around 1200 pictures whilst away and 90% of them were through the window of Lyn's car as she drove the various routes. As a result I'm surprised so many of them have turned out so well. I didn't make preparations nor nothing... just point and clicked as Lyn 'made good progress' along the routes! :lol: I'm sorting through more of them at the moment and will put them online shortly.

EDIT: Here are a few more random pics...

That will do for now... still got loads more to sort and upload and the best pictures (in my opinion) are yet to come.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]