The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Last years installment of the Euro Tour!
By Turbo5
With 24 cars on the tour we need to split the group into smaller groups. 4 or maybe 5 cars maximum.
What I want is ideas on how we can manage this.
things to consider

1) Different driving styles, some are faster than others,
2) Groups of Friends who want to travel together
3) different start times, some of us are early birds others like to stay in their beds longer.
4) At least one member of each group to own a sat nav system
5) Lunch time dinning habits, nice meal or service station sandwich
6) Do you want to stop at places of interest or beauty spots. photo opportunities etc
7) Do some of the single drivers want to stay together, or couples M&F stay together
8) Should we consider the age of the people before spliting into groups. some of you young nippers don't want to be in a group with oldies who smell of pee and broken biscuits (old to you is over 35 )

I would suggest that any group of friends who want to travel together should arrange their groups and let us know so we don't put you into another group. or you may wish to travel alone. (I did a few days of last years tour, I set off at 6am somedays to miss the traffic or get to the next resort early afternoon)

I will start, with suggested group types

1) Very fast, expert drivers early morning group
2) Very fast, expert drivers late morning group
3) Fast average drivers early morning group
4) Fast average drivers late morning group
5) Slowish, scenic pace average drivers early morning group
6) Slowish, scenic pace average drivers late morning group

Early morning is after first sitting of breakfast ie breakfast starts at 7.30am and hit the road around 8.00am
Late morning setting of around 8.30am -9.15am

with 4 cars in each group that would make 24 cars

I am definately not in the very fast group and lie somewhere between slow and fast but I am definately in the early morning group.
By salem
Good idea

Well I'll be hooking up with Grumpy and Ann Teak as I will have to keep an eye on them and make sure they behave, plus we are use to each others driving as we have been on many outings together

I'm not over the 35 mark yet but not far off.. Grumpy and Ann Teak are both over 35 however they are both in their second childhood stage..

For us mostly average speeds with a blast now and again when its save to do so..
Probably more early birds I think..
I have Honda Sat Nav Grumpy has Tom Tom
Lunch time more like a nice meal but depends on how big the breakfast is really, I could last until the evening but I dont think Sharky could..
Yes we would want to stop off at places of interest/beauty stops take photos etc want to enjoy the scenary as well as the roads.

I am definately not in the very fast group as want to enjoy the views as well.

Ann Teak will probably have to make a few loo stops along the way otherwise she will smell of pee :lol: (thats just killed anyone that might want to join us!!!)
By Cat
I hate getting out of bed so most likely a late start :oops:

I'm probably in the fast, average driver category over here in the UK but without a passenger to help with overtakes I guess I'll be in the slow driver group for the HET :roll:

Although if there's beautiful scenery to stop and gaze at then I'll have to stop and gaze ...

Tell you what I'll just go in a group on my own :lol:
By Turbo5
Catz wrote:
Tell you what I'll just go in a group on my own :lol:
Well volunteered, Thats one group leader sorted :lol:
1) Catz Group late morning starts group, average speed as long as someone else is navigating (a car with 2 people needs to be the lead car, while one drives the other navigates) NB the lead car doesn't have to be the group leader
By Cat
Ermmm ... hang on just a sec! :lol:

I said "a group on my own" not a group leader ...

I reckon groups will evolve as the week passes, unless it's groups of friends who want to stick together. Although it's a good idea to try and get something sorted for the first few days too.

I need someone in front of me with a walkie talkie who can tell me when to overtake safely!
In fact I need a walkie talkie :roll:
By Turbo5
If we are going to split into about 6 groups we need a leader in each group Someone who can keep the group together, decide when to stop for fuel, lunch etc somebody to take the lead and get everybody to set off after you have all filled up with fuel or had lunch etc. I presume natural leaders will emerge in each group. (no control freaks though :lol: ) but if someone is happy to volunteer to lead a group it makes life a lot easier,
I am happy to lead a very early morning group but not in the very fast category, I like to stop for a nice lunch somewhere, not everyday ie on the first day its mainly motorway so it will be a service station, but on the route napoleon last year I stopped at a little villiage called corps, I had oysters, snails, shrimps, One of my biggest and best meals ever for 15 euro's each on the set menu.
http://www.hotel-restaurant-delas.com/

I also have a new hobby now photography and will be stopping everytime I want to take piccies, also my passenger is in the Strong smell of pee and very broken biscuit category and is now suffering from senile dementia so he has resorted back to childhood.
:oops: I am over the 35 year old category also
By salem
Great Turbo5 we will follow you if you dont have any takers and you dont mind.. As you know Andy is into his photography in a big way.. Ann Teak and I are just snappy happy.. Grumpy would join you with the oysters, snails, and shrimps, he loves all that stuff.. your passenger sound like he would get on well with my oldies lol
By Turbo5
salem wrote:Great Turbo5 we will follow you if you dont have any takers and you dont mind.. As you know Andy is into his photography in a big way.. Ann Teak and I are just snappy happy.. Grumpy would join you with the oysters, snails, and shrimps, he loves all that stuff.. your passenger sound like he would get on well with my oldies lol
he has been on all the Honda Euro tours with me, he has a 2004 CTR and is getting the new FN2 his previous car was a DC2 and a lexus soarer twin turbo. put it this way he is only 6 years off claiming his pension. but a very young outlook on life and doesn't act or look his age. everybody who has meet him on previous tours will agree.
By salem
In Ann and Malcs age group then.. they too dont look or act their age either. But then I think older pple tend to have more fun the younger ones these days and they dont worry about trying to look cool lol

Malc loves his cars was a car mechanic moving onto a HGV mechanic for years, however he is HGV driver now (bit of a busmans holiday for him!!)
By lecurie
I think me and Seano, Al Greene, minty and damo will stay together
By Coxy1984
Im not fussed what group I go with, as long as it ain't the early birds.
I enjoy my sleep to much :oops:
By algreene
lecurie wrote:I think me and Seano, Al Greene, minty and damo will stay together

yeh, i think so mate.. maybe get cats along too??

let minty navigate.. :lol:
By mumra
well you can put me in the fast, average what ever time group when i'm driving... in the slow group when the missus is driving :lol: (not just because she's a slow driver but cause i'll be telling her to "slow down", "watch out for that st bernard" and "we supposed to be on the right side of the road").

Come the autobahns though i think it will be right foot flat and with the group that's keeping up :twisted:

seriously though i'm not fussed.. i imagine we'll be travelling with lottie and si so theres the start of a group anyway.
By seano
algreene wrote:
lecurie wrote:I think me and Seano, Al Greene, minty and damo will stay together

let minty navigate.. :lol:
Yeah - Go Team Smoke! I wonder if we can get Minty started with a junior smokers kit?

I'm am not convinced by this sat nav malarkey - she either lies or is stupid. I've only tried it for 10 miles and she's taken me round the two long sides of triangle and tried to force me the wrong way down a one way street twice (once from each direction). I can see that I'm going to love this technology about as much as I love mobile phones.

Seano
By Cat
algreene wrote:

Yay!!! I'm in a group. :D
By lecurie
Catz wrote:
algreene wrote:

i think you will need you r lead boots on to keep up with seano!
By algreene
lecurie wrote:
Catz wrote:
algreene wrote:

nah, Seano drives like an old woman.. :lol: :lol:

I will be taking it easy for most of the trip.. no point being a nob and getting caught.. would only ruin holiday.. 8)
By ps2lord5
algreene wrote:
lecurie wrote:
Catz wrote:
algreene wrote:

nah, Seano drives like an old woman.. :lol: :lol:

I will be taking it easy for most of the trip.. no point being a nob and getting caught.. would only ruin holiday.. 8)
agreed mate.... ill be taking it easyish unless its a autobahn 8)
By kickboxing boo
Hi all, Have thrown some idea's at David.
After being on the previous 2 trips, you get a idea of how different groups form. As a group last year, people were having more fun as the week went on.... after the shy ones came out of their shells and the drunk ones sobered up.... Something like that anyway. I think maybe when we're in Dijon the first nigh,t when everyone is together we all should maybe have a name tag or forum name badge given to each person. So you can call everyone on first name terms straight away. I know that the majority of the group is travelling on the ferry on sat morning, however don't think an hour is long enough to memorise peoples names.

Boo's idea being a teacher. For the later part of the week as groups start to form, could be to mix things up. Put all drivers names in a hat the night before and pull
names out for the groups for the next day. Whether it be groups of 3 or 4.

Another idea is to introduce yourself to a stranger in the group using an interesting fact about yourself. For example, I won a wet t-shirt contest. :WOOT

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]