The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Fancy yourself as a pundit? Post your thoughts here!
By J
Enjoy your betting. :lol:

http://blog.peta.org.uk/2014/04/the-gra ... se-racing/
Horses die on the racetrack all the time. Eight horses have died at Aintree in the past two years. Four died at Cheltenham this year. Their deaths were traumatic and frightening, a stomach-churning mess of tangled limbs, fractured bones and broken spines.

Jockeys see horses as “replaceable”. Jockey Ruby Walsh caused a scandal with his comment on the death of Our Conor at Cheltenham: “You can replace a horse“. But his callous remark served only to highlight the widespread attitude within an industry that treats horses as commodities, not as sensitive, sentient animals.

Horses are often on drugs. Drugs, both legal and illegal, are as ubiquitous at the racetrack as silly-looking hats are at Ascot. Horses are often drugged to mask their pain and keep them running when they should be resting or receiving treatment. Last year, trainer Mahmood al-Zarooni was banned from racing for eight years after he doped horses with prohibited steroids at one of the world’s leading racing operations.

Former race horses are “retired” to the slaughterhouse. According to Animal Aid, around 1,000 horses from the racing industry are killed in slaughterhouses in Britain every year, to be turned into dog food or horsemeat. Other horses may face horrific live export to Europe.

Aintree is one of the most deadly courses in the world. The infamous Becher’s Brook is known as the world’s most dangerous jump and has racked up many fatalities, yet authorities refuse to remove it. Racing 40 skittish horses at a time makes accidents still more likely, while the minor so-called “improvements” to the course are simply token gestures. It’s the very dangerousness of the race that draws in crowds and lines bookies’ pockets – while horses pay with their lives.

Horses are made to race when they’re too young. Making horses risk their lives on the racecourse is wrong at any age. But it’s especially heartbreaking to learn that these animals may begin to race when they’re barely more than babies and their bones are not up to the pounding and stress of the track. It’s hardly surprising, then, that injuries, lameness and exhaustion are common afflictions.

Horses are whipped to the finish line. To hurt an animal deliberately is illegal in most other circumstances, but riders at the Grand National are actually required to carry whips – despite the RSPCA’s verdict that “sing whips can cause pain and suffering to the horses” and often makes them run beyond their usual capability, increasing the likelihood of accidents. Frequently, jockeys violate the already watered-down whipping regulations, which dictate how often and where they hit horses.

It’s all about the money. Owners of horses in the Grand National often mistake their love of money and glory for a love of the horses, but the facts make it clear what the industry is really worth.
By J
So after reading that you still bet?

You really are strange.

I haven't bet on the GN since it was explained to me, so thats about 29 years ago.
By danneth
J wrote:So after reading that you still bet?

You really are strange.

I haven't bet on the GN since it was explained to me, so thats about 29 years ago.
I don't need to read that to know about Horse Racing, I've been around the betting industry since I was old enough, but yes I still do bet on it, If you don't want to bet on it that's fine.
By J
A horse will run till its heart explodes. :sad:

It will die quicker if its being whipped.
By Superman001
I don't agree with it and never put bets on, to be honest I wouldn't have a clue how to bet on same as I don't know how a fruit machine works.

I just see it as something chavs do and on the whole I see horse racing as cruelty to animals.
By Lewisgame
We've been treating horses like cars for hundreds of years.
Hippies have already ruined traditional English sports like fox hunting. I hope they don't wreck horse racing.
By J
Lewisgame wrote:We've been treating horses like cars for hundreds of years.
Hippies have already ruined traditional English sports like fox hunting. I hope they don't wreck horse racing.
And along arrives the first idiot. :lol:
By Superman001
J wrote:
Lewisgame wrote:We've been treating horses like cars for hundreds of years.
And along arrives the first idiot. :lol:

Theres always one.

So apparently if your not into animal cruelty it makes you a hippy :lol:
By J
If a horse goes down then they should shoot the jockey as well.
By Magic-R
J wrote:So after reading that you still bet?

You really are strange.

Yes, considering a lot of that quote is bollox, horses on drugs? Made to race when young? Rubbish. Both my aunts are horse trainers and I've never heard anything like some of the stuff in that quote. Although I agree about the jockeys attitude towards horses, some of them are right coonts.

Today's winner was a prime example of horse racing/training done properly, a deserved winner from a small but professional team.

I had that 5th place donkey.
By Daz W
The average thoroughbred racehorse probably leads a better life than most people, at the end of the day you can't make a horse do something it doesn't want to do. I had a bet and a good win too. You'll be wanting motorcycle racing banned next because riders die on the track
By Superman001
Daz W wrote:The average thoroughbred racehorse probably leads a better life than most people, at the end of the day you can't make a horse do something it doesn't want to do. I had a bet and a good win too. You'll be wanting motorcycle racing banned next because riders die on the track

Stupid statement considering motorcycle racing is optional and horses don't really have a say in the matter.
By Daz W
As I say it's in a horses nature to run do you really think a person to force a creature the size and weight of a horse to do something it doesn't want to do. Also many horses are saved from injury by the jockeys knowing that something is wrong with their horse
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]