The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Fancy yourself as a pundit? Post your thoughts here!
By Moxy1980
Superman001 wrote:The amount of deaths per 1000 horses is 6 so they have a 0.6 % chance of dying every time they compete.
Very basic statistical approach there.
By Daz W
Ok just say you ban horse racing, what do you do with the thousands of horses that now suddenly serve no purpose and that people now can't afford to keep because they've lost their income from racing? There'd be an awful lot getting put to sleep then
By JenCTR
if you were up to date with your animal rights you would know PETA are a hysterical organistation :rolls eyes: and I wouldn't listen to a word they write.

I work with horses, I've had my own, I've grown up around racing yards. These animals are bred to run and run they will. They are treated like kings whilst in training, and organisations like TRC etc do excellent jobs of rehoming horses after racing, a lot to competition homes. My other halfs sister has an ex racer, and a friend competes at Grand Prix (Olympic Level) with hers. Kauto Star and Denman have been re-homed to do new competitive disciplines- so they are valued a lot more than people seem to think.

The National is a NOTORIOUSLY dangerous race. But what some people don't realise is so much work has been done since 2012 to improve the course.

Last year, all horses came home safe, and again this year too- for the first time.

The horses can of course 'execute their right not to run' one did yesterday :lol:

I bet, I love the national, but racing has been instilled in me and I love thoroughbreds- my next horse will come from a racing career.

And I won with Pineau De Re and came third with Oh Seven. :lol:
Last edited by JenCTR on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JenCTR
Superman001 wrote:
Magic-R wrote:
Superman001 wrote:Yeah but theres no telling some people on here, they just believe the what they want so they feel less guilty about watching the racing and making bets on what is essentially animal cruelty and nothing else.
Ooooookaayyy princess :laughabove:

I don't think I've ever been to a race event where a horse has died, I've seen plenty of jockeys carted off in ambulances. (I've never been to the GN)
What about all the flat racing? A race horse has it in his blood to run.....
Its easy to to make some statement like your some kind of animal hero without going into any detail....

Look how many horses died yesterday.........none.
Im supprised that none died yesterday. So you think horses love to run, well theres been about 7 that have died in a 10 year period out of just over 400 that have run.

So in a 10 year period of humans competing in running events at the olympics or commonwealth games how many have died?

And the amount of humans that have run in a ten year period will will a lot more than 400 and you think the its not bad for the horses that are meant to run.

Totally irrelevant comparison.

What would be though, is compare the amount of horses dying in racing, to the amount who die running about the fields like arseholes and then skidding/ breaking a leg/ neck/ going through fences.

Fecking THOUSANDS. Happens every day.

Horses run. Sometimes they run fine, other times they are complete idiots and hurt themselves, and die.
By JenCTR
Daz W wrote:Ok just say you ban horse racing, what do you do with the thousands of horses that now suddenly serve no purpose and that people now can't afford to keep because they've lost their income from racing? There'd be an awful lot getting put to sleep then
And here's another arguement- is humanely destroying an animal actually a bad ending? Or is letting them fall into the wrong hands...

I know where my arguement is with putting to sleep, and its backing it all the way if you can't secure an animals future.
By dutch
Daz W wrote:Ok just say you ban horse racing, what do you do with the thousands of horses that now suddenly serve no purpose and that people now can't afford to keep because they've lost their income from racing? There'd be an awful lot getting put to sleep then

Easy, you eat them.
By jtc
Numerous valid points from Jen above :salut:

I also came away £20 up from the National, so I'm all for it.
By J
Jen murders foxes so her view is invalid.
By irmy
JenCTR wrote:if you were up to date with your animal rights you would know PETA are a hysterical organistation :rolls eyes: and I wouldn't listen to a word they write.

By JenCTR
dutch wrote:

Easy, you eat them.
Can't eat them.

for horses to be suitable for human consumption they must have been raised without given any sort of medicinal painkiller or treatment. They then must be slaughtered by captive bolt (which is very common so not so much a problem) They cannot be put to sleep by injection.

You cannot even sell your horse to the hunt for dogmeat unless a vet certifies it hasn't been destroyed by injection or been prescribed drugs for a certain amount of time.

Many racehorses in training will at some point have received a mild painkiller for a knock or a bump, or had a cream or gel applied to an area which is absorbed into the bloodstream- so basically they will all not be fit for consumption. So basically eating them isn't an option I'm afraid.

And so what if I participate in the odd fox chase. Can't even chase them anymore anyway!!!!

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]