The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Fancy yourself as a pundit? Post your thoughts here!
By Aid1987
Me and some mates have been playing for a little while and I'm now thinking about upgrading to a better racket but I'm not sure what's best suited to me.

Carbon or titanium? Weight, head size?

Brands; Head, Wilson, Dunlop?

I'd say I'm an intermediate player and I'm looking to spend up to about £50.
By Gozza
Any of those will be absolutely fine, although I'm a bit of a prince fanboy when it comes to squash rackets (the make not the musician :-D).

As for material you'll get what you pay for. I bought my last racket over 6 years ago now and that was a part graphite/carbon composite and I got it half price at £70. Basically it is mostly graphite with carbon at top end of the head.

Anything with a large head with most of the weight there will give you a larger sweet-spot and decent power, which is great for what you'll need as an intermediate. Once you get serious do you then start looking for more control and different string tension.
By Aid1987
ShaunCTR wrote:http://www.sweatband.com/dunlop-biomime ... acket.html
That looks nice but it's a bit over budget.
Gozza wrote:Any of those will be absolutely fine, although I'm a bit of a prince fanboy when it comes to squash rackets (the make not the musician :-D).

As for material you'll get what you pay for. I bought my last racket over 6 years ago now and that was a part graphite/carbon composite and I got it half price at £70. Basically it is mostly graphite with carbon at top end of the head.

Anything with a large head with most of the weight there will give you a larger sweet-spot and decent power, which is great for what you'll need as an intermediate. Once you get serious do you then start looking for more control and different string tension.
Cool, that's some good info of what I need to look out for.

Just been looking at Prince Airo Bolt and Dunlop Blackstorm which seem good for intermediates but have read mixed reviews.
By Aid1987
ShaunCTR wrote:
Aid1987 wrote:
ShaunCTR wrote:http://www.sweatband.com/dunlop-biomime ... acket.html
That looks nice but it's a bit over budget.
Sorry bud didn't know your budget, what budget you got in mind?
£50 ideally. Seen a lot of rackets on sports direct for that price or less that have been reduced from £80-£100.
By epchop
Where abouts are you? I have a prince TT Sovereign that I don't use anymore, it's an excellent racket
By Aid1987
epchop wrote:Where abouts are you? I have a prince TT Sovereign that I don't use anymore, it's an excellent racket
Bishops Stortford. I'd like to see it in person first, had a quick look in sports direct this morning but the princes were way up high so couldn't hold them.

Held the Dunlop black storm venom and the prince Airo bolt which both seem very nice.
By Aid1987
NyseriA wrote:I am quite a Prince fan too, although I had a Wilson hammerhead stolen that I quite liked. Smashed two Head and a Dunlop and the Head ones weren't with much force :shock:

Got a Prince Rebel atm and despite the somewhat bright colours, I love it :D
I was talking to a colleague and he's given me his practically brand new Prince Bandit RT (?) for nothing because he stopped playing. I used it last night and loved it.

It's given me more control being only 155g and the string tension seems very good too. Still need to take some time getting used to it though.
By NyseriA
The lighter the better for me; I am predominantly a badminton player, so have a very loose wrist action (fnarr) that gets a great whip on the ball and some proper power into it, but also means it fatigues quickly with a heavier racquet.

The 135g unstrung weight of the Rebel is awesome as my badminton racquet (Carlton Kinesis X90) is 86g! My old badminton racquet was almost as much as my squash racquet, that's how much things have changed in a decade or two :lol:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]