The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Fancy yourself as a pundit? Post your thoughts here!
By soulburn
love iniesta... this vid on his 2010 world cup performance is :cool:

By th3sundanc3kid
soulburn wrote:love iniesta... this vid on his 2010 world cup performance is :cool:

Love the bundle when he scores the winner in the final, the whole squad running down to the corner.
By devil84
PH47MF wrote:in terms of goals and assists in one of the best leagues of the world, yes, the best in the world. but i wouldn't compare him to Maradona or Pele like some newspapers just yet simply because he hasn't achieved anything with the national team yet.
Do you really need to achieve something with the national team to be considered the best player in the world ever?

Lets say he was playing 4 Oman, would we expect him to win the World Cup 1st b4 we put him in the all time greats list - i think not...

my F button is not working.
By smartie
Mostly sums up the vs Maradona arguments. :smile:

"The only qualification to Lionel Messi's claim to be regarded as the best player of all time is his 'failure' to win the World Cup - or, to be more precise, win it for Argentina in the manner of Diego Maradona. Yet Messi now possesses three European Cup winners medals to Maradona's none and, at the age of 23, has already far eclipsed the total of club honours - eight - that his countryman won during his turbulent career. Is that reason to state that Messi is actually the better player? No, far from it. It's simply another way of fretting about the difficulty of comparing players from different generations. Different times, different games, different priorities, different measurements: club for Messi v country for Maradona. They can't be compared."
By devil84
smartie wrote:Mostly sums up the vs Maradona arguments. :smile:

"The only qualification to Lionel Messi's claim to be regarded as the best player of all time is his 'failure' to win the World Cup - or, to be more precise, win it for Argentina in the manner of Diego Maradona. Yet Messi now possesses three European Cup winners medals to Maradona's none and, at the age of 23, has already far eclipsed the total of club honours - eight - that his countryman won during his turbulent career. Is that reason to state that Messi is actually the better player? No, far from it. It's simply another way of fretting about the difficulty of comparing players from different generations. Different times, different games, different priorities, different measurements: club for Messi v country for Maradona. They can't be compared."
I agree with Different times, but same game (still kicking a round ball last time I checked?), same priorities (trophies), different measurements (what other measurements?).
By Ryan1985
99% on this thread agree that Messi is better than Ronaldo apart from m1ke who supports Man Utd, it seems he can't get over last nights result.

Also, there's a few people in this thread that think Messi has reached his peak, has he? Nobody knows.
By Sam.
Ryan1985 wrote:99% on this thread agree that Messi is better than Ronaldo apart from m1ke who supports Man Utd, it seems he can't get over last nights result.

Also, there's a few people in this thread that think Messi has reached his peak, has he? Nobody knows.
Similarly theres plenty in this thread who refuse to acknowledge Ronaldos talent because he used to play for United.
By Stevo07
Ryan1985 wrote:99% on this thread agree that Messi is better than Ronaldo apart from m1ke who supports Man Utd, it seems he can't get over last nights result.

99% of the world knows Messi is best. Ronaldo is unfortunate to exist at the same time as he is top quality also.
By fowler
Everybody loves to jump on the bandwagon re Messi. Yes, he is the best in the world at present but commentators and fans alike always go over the top. Plenty of times I have wathed a la liga match where he has been distinctly average yet the commentaors w@nk over him even though Xavi has just bossed the game from start to finish.

Of course he is top dollar and with each generation, footballers get better and better. For me, Messi is definatley a better and more complete player than Maradona was.

Re Messi and Ronaldo, it is a lot closer than everyone says. Yes Messi has the incredible ball control, dribbling skills and able change direction like a speedboat (saw some sort of racing boat on eurosport the other day, was mental!). Nobody can touch him here but Ronaldo isn't too bad himself. His touch is just as good, as are his dribbling skills but he probbaly doesn't jink in and out like Messi or have that low centre of gravity. However, although Messi is fast, Ronaldo is quicker. Ronaldo can also hit a ball better and is pretty much perfectly 2 footed. Ronaldo is also brilliant in the air, strong and a goalscoring machine.
Messi edges it with his incredible ball skill but as said Ronaldo is not far behind in that department and is ahead re shooting, pace, power / athletisim and miles ahead when it comes to heading.
As someone said previously, he has d*cked all over the prem and now has just become la liga's all time higest goalscorer.

His selfishness is what lets him down and thats what probably lets Messi pip him at present. However, because Messi looks like a little troll and seems a gentleman, the every day man can relate to him. Ronaldo has all Messi's footballing class but is also stacked and good looking hence why hes an arrogent f*cker. Rather g@y sentance but thats why he has so many haters.

For me, if you were to analyse each others game, Ronaldo is the more complete player. He probably has to become more of a team player but if this was top trumps, Ronaldo would have higher stats. Waiting for the barrage of abuse but nothing I have said isn't true. Would love to see what Messi would be like in the prem where you can make a tackle. He wouldn't be half as good. Messi may have the talent but he doesn't he isn't the complete finished product Ronaldo is.
By Stevo07
I don't agree that Ronaldo can dribble as such. Knocking a ball past someone and showing a clean set of heels or doing 10 million step overs on the spot is not dribbling. Not many players do dribble these days.

It's funny that people think Messi couldn't compete in the Prem league even though he continues to destroy their best in the CL. :roll:
By m1ke
A raised foot in the CL is a free kick, a karate kick in the EPL is okay, that's the difference...
By Stevo07
m1ke wrote:A raised foot in the CL is a free kick, a karate kick in the EPL is okay, that's the difference...
Far lesser players have been great in the EPL so of course it would make sense the greatest of our generation would struggle :-|

Saying that there wasn't any need for 'protection' given that your defence couldn't get near him last week :lol:
Last edited by Stevo07 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By fowler
It's funny that people think Messi couldn't compete in the Prem league even though he continues to destroy their best in the CL. :roll:
European refs / Premier league refs, theres the differance. Crunching (but fair) tackle in the c/l, Messi rolls over in agony, Barca crowd the ref, the matey gets sent off. Same tackle in the prem, its play on (however english football is starting to slide towards the "no hard tackles allowed" which is worrying).

Don't get me wrong, Messi would be very good in the prem, I'm scepital he would be awesome like Ronaldo though. Accept your point re Ronaldo's dribbling though, but is is almost as effective.
By Stevo07
fowler wrote:
European refs / Premier league refs, theres the differance. Crunching (but fair) tackle in the c/l, Messi rolls over in agony, Barca crowd the ref, the matey gets sent off. Same tackle in the prem, its play on (however english football is starting to slide towards the "no hard tackles allowed" which is worrying).

Don't get me wrong, Messi would be very good in the prem, I'm scepital he would be awesome like Ronaldo though. Accept your point re Ronaldo's dribbling though, but is is almost as effective.
Shite mate, you will rarely see Messi do more than get up and get on with it. Watch any La Liga game with Barca playing, he gets kicked up and down the park.
By fowler
La liga / champs league is not as combative or aggresive as the prem, lets not even go there
By Stevo07
fowler wrote:La liga / champs league is not as combative or aggresive as the prem, lets not even go there
I didn't say that. I said Messi gets kicked about, fact. Ergo he could hand the prem I feel with no issues. He doesn't roll about like a fanny ala Ronaldo, Biscuits, et al.
By J4Y
Stevo07 wrote:[
Saying that there wasn't any need for 'protection' given that your defence couldn't get near him last week :lol:
their isnt a defence out there that would be able to get near him.

Nani is the single biggest pansy in english football and does alright , ive seen messi take some right kickings before and he still carried on, its fiar to say ability will show through regardless how hard you are kicked, i mean i wouldn't have thought Arshavin or Modric were built for the premier league but those midgets do ok.
By fowler

Granted Del Horno misses the ball here and it is a foul but watch Messi. Not hurt at all, has a look up, rolls around and feigns injury. Hes on the floor for ages. Pathetic.

And the european clown they call a referee produces a red card. Utterely :oops: :oops:
Granted Ronaldo is just as bad but shows the differance between the cl and the prem. Champs league football has been ruined by joke referee's and la liga is no different hence why the prem is by far the best league in the world. Messi needs to prove himself in it which he will never do because of the protection he gets.
By Stevo07
fowler wrote:

Granted Del Horno misses the ball here and it is a foul but watch Messi. Not hurt at all, has a look up, rolls around and feigns injury. Hes on the floor for ages. Pathetic.

And the european clown they call a referee produces a red card. Utterely :oops: :oops:
Granted Ronaldo is just as bad but shows the differance between the cl and the prem. Champs league football has been ruined by joke referee's and la liga is no different hence why the prem is by far the best league in the world. Messi needs to prove himself in it which he will never do because of the protection he gets.
Oh you found one, wonderful. He must be a cheat and doesn't deserve all the credit he gets for just getting on with it.

Are you telling me red cards haven't been dished out in the EPL for similar? My Youtube skills aren't great but I bet it wouldn't take me long to find a few examples.

Again you go on about protection but fail to acknowledge how much this guy gets kicked about and just gets on with it. You kinda defeat your own argument as well because sissy boy Ronaldo done well even though he is the worst diver in the game.
By J4Y
Can we please stop calling it the English premier league ( EPL ) the farcical inclusion of the Welsh team has put pave to that , might as well invite rangers
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]