The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Fancy yourself as a pundit? Post your thoughts here!
By TimEP3
Ryan1985 wrote: I'd like them to spend money to make money too but not going to happen.
In all reality, though, how would spending money make money for Celtic? They're never going to attract players of a high enough level to do any damage in Europe and they can walk the league with the crap that they've got.
By Stevo07
danneth wrote:To the guys up north, thoughts on Stevie May as a player? chance we could be signing him...
Big lump of a boy, works hard, decentish finisher, not my cup of tea.
By Stevo07
TimEP3 wrote:
Ryan1985 wrote: I'd like them to spend money to make money too but not going to happen.
In all reality, though, how would spending money make money for Celtic? They're never going to attract players of a high enough level to do any damage in Europe and they can walk the league with the crap that they've got.
Clearly we aren't going to do anything in Europe. It might stop the year on year decline in attendances for the last ten years though, attract better sponsorship, etc. Reaching the last 16 is a good achievement for a club with our resources, but we still ripped the guts out that team after turning a profit anyway. I gave up my season ticket 4 years ago after getting fed up supporting a club which is run to support the business and not the other way about. More and more are coming to the same conclusion.
By Stevo07
Harsh but thems the rules. Think they may have got off with a fine if he was just incorrectly registered as opposed to banned.
By EvoStu
BREAKING NEWS: Oscar Pistorius has sacked his legal team and hired Celtic's as he has heard you can lose both legs and still win.
By Ryan1985
TimEP3 wrote:In all reality, though, how would spending money make money for Celtic?
Are you genuinely retarded or just pretending to be?

We spend £5M on a couple of decent players who help the team qualify for the group stages which makes us £10M instantly. Going by my maths, we've just made a £5M profit therefore we've made money by spending money.
By EvoStu
Ryan1985 wrote:
TimEP3 wrote:In all reality, though, how would spending money make money for Celtic?

We spend £5M on a couple of decent players who help the team qualify for the group stages which makes us £10M instantly. Going by my maths, we've just made a £5M profit therefore we've made money by spending money.
If you attendance figures drop, tv income drops in Scotland, players salaries go up (generally), merchandise figures go down etc, then yes you'll lose money.

Scottish football is dying.
By Ryan1985
I don't think it'll get any worse, you'd imagine Rangers, Hearts and Hibs will be back soon so that'll spark some interest.

Forster away for £10M is very good business as he can't deal with crosses and seems glued to his line at times. I just hope Craig Gordon is as good as he used to be.
By Stevo07
Great business for who? Certainly not the fans or the team. Wouldn't make much difference if we got 10pence for him! :lol:
By TimEP3
Ryan1985 wrote:

You seem like an incredibly bright chap. I'm sure there's a future for you in explaining to the multi-millionaire businessmen who own football clubs, what the best ways are for them to make money. After all, you clearly have it sussed, and it's very simplistic. You wanna patent this idea, immediately.

After all, spending £5m on a couple of decent players GUARANTEES you get into the knockout rounds. There could be no possible reason why it'd be difficult to get a couple of decent players, for £5m, who'd be interested in playing in that Mickey Mouse league, who would GUARANTEE you'd get into the group stage. Those couple of decent players, in a sport of 11 v 11, would GUARANTEE you make the group stages, in which case you wouldn't be running any risk at all of losing your £5m investment, then possibly not being able to attract any better players the next year, then being left with the cost of the salary for these expensive players, then having other members of your team unhappy that their salaries are comparatively low, then they want increased salaries ... and so on.

Or maybe i'm just retarded, right.
By Ryan1985
I think another two players would GUARANTEE us getting to the group stages. We probably don't even need another two players to get to the group stages but that's another story for a different day. Anyway, if we did buy two players and got to the group stages, that'd pay for the two players we bought and pay their wages for 5 years.

If players want or demand bigger wages or want to leave for England we always sell them before their contract is up anyway. If they don't get a move for more wages they're obviously expendable so them leaving us is no problem. I think our highest paid player is Scott Brown on about £25k a week and I don't think any other player in the squad is near or worth that.

So can we afford £5M and would it make us more money? Easily. After making over £40M in the last 3 seasons, we must've only spent about £10M on players so that's spending money to make money.
By Wullie_trd
Ryan1985 wrote:We probably don't even need another two players to get to the group stages but that's another story for a different day.

That really made me laugh, glad you guys still have a sense of humour :roflmao:
By Ryan1985
Wullie_trd wrote:
Ryan1985 wrote:We probably don't even need another two players to get to the group stages but that's another story for a different day.
That really made me laugh, glad you guys still have a sense of humour :roflmao:
Obviously never seen the game today, demolished Dundee Utd 6-1 and should've been more.
By Stevo07
Mulgrew in midfield again, he's rotten there despite the result. Not sure about McGregor, lots of shooting and endeavour but lacks a lot. Berget has looked decent the past two matches. Denayer looks a tidy defender.
By Ryan1985
I've said from day one Mulgrew is murder in midfield but now he's Captain because Brown's out we need to find a place for him. McGregor has some way to go to convince me that he deserves a start. Berget does actually look pretty decent and should've had 3 today. Denayer looks top class. He'll start on Wednesday I'd imagine with Lustig coming back in and playing right back.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]