The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Fancy yourself as a pundit? Post your thoughts here!
By gilberto
Any of you lads play golf? I've hung up my football boots for the summer and can't wait to get the clubs out.

Where do you lads play and what's your choice of clubs??
By Mark83
I play badly. I really should play more, one of my best mates is a PGA coach and his parents own a couple of golf clubs.
By Burty Bassett
Same here, football season finished a few weeks ago so started to get back into golf again for the summer. Only really a fair weather player! Footy starts again, clubs go away.

Play around twice a week after work at the moment, much prefer a spot of twilight golf when the course is a bit quieter. Generally play at one or two of the local public courses, can't justify a private membership for 4 months of the year!
By gilberto
I don't have a membership because I like playing different courses in my area. Usually hit the driving range around twice a week and try and get at least one round per week. Not the best golfer in the world but have improved considerably over the past couple of years.

Heading down to the Open on the 16th Jul, should be a good p1ss up!

Mark you should get lessons from your mate, he'll improve your game big time!
By gilberto
Burty Bassett wrote:Same here, football season finished a few weeks ago so started to get back into golf again for the summer. Only really a fair weather player! Footy starts again, clubs go away.

Play around twice a week after work at the moment, much prefer a spot of twilight golf when the course is a bit quieter. Generally play at one or two of the local public courses, can't justify a private membership for 4 months of the year!
What you play off mate?
By Mrs golfvr6
iv been to a drivin range twice only used a pitching wedge i send it around 100-110 yards with about 2 foot backswing it goes right to poo if i try to hit it at all lol
i did hit it 175 yards once my mate just stood there shaking his head telling me i shouldnt be able to do that
By ToonType-R
gilberto wrote:I don't have a membership because I like playing different courses in my area. Usually hit the driving range around twice a week and try and get at least one round per week. Not the best golfer in the world but have improved considerably over the past couple of years.

I am going to st Andrews myself, just the final 2 days though , can't wait, just found out that Tiger is definatly competing aswell, hope he makes the cut.
By Mark83
gilberto wrote:Mark you should get lessons from your mate, he'll improve your game big time!
He did improve my swing massively. It's just very frustrating playing with him as he pisses excellence and I dribble pure fail :sad:
By gilberto
ToonType-R wrote:
gilberto wrote:I don't have a membership because I like playing different courses in my area. Usually hit the driving range around twice a week and try and get at least one round per week. Not the best golfer in the world but have improved considerably over the past couple of years.

I am going to st Andrews myself, just the final 2 days though , can't wait, just found out that Tiger is definatly competing aswell, hope he makes the cut.
Glad Tiger will be there always makes it a better tournament when he's playing well.
Mark83 wrote:
gilberto wrote:Mark you should get lessons from your mate, he'll improve your game big time!
He did improve my swing massively. It's just very frustrating playing with him as he pisses excellence and I dribble pure fail :sad:
Know what you mean playing with low handicap golfers, even if you peach a shot they'll match it or better it. :lol:
By dazzaj25
i play fairy regularly, im a member at the local golf course!! more of a fair weather golfer though as i cant realy be arsed when its raining!! I managed to get tickets to teh ryder cup at celtic manor this year. Had to go in a ballot but managed to get 3 tickets for the final day!!!

play off 18 at the mo but had been down to 12 when i was younger around 14 -15 years old!! easier in the summer hols, had time to play every day!!
By bluntcap
Mrs golfvr6 wrote:iv been to a drivin range twice only used a pitching wedge i send it around 100-110 yards with about 2 foot backswing it goes right to poo if i try to hit it at all lol
i did hit it 175 yards once my mate just stood there shaking his head telling me i shouldnt be able to do that
Don't talk crap :lol: a 2 foot back swing....that's not even past your waist :lol:
By !ALEX!
I try to play atleast twice a week - hit the driving range regularly too.

Been doing this on and off for past year and a half - fair weather golfer me.

Unfortunately not very good though - my iron shots are a lot better than my wood shots - just have no control over them when full power applied (always shank it to the right... :roll: )
By bluntcap
!ALEX! wrote:I try to play atleast twice a week - hit the driving range regularly too.

Been doing this on and off for past year and a half - fair weather golfer me.

Unfortunately not very good though - my iron shots are a lot better than my wood shots - just have no control over them when full power applied (always shank it to the right... :roll: )
Stop trying to hit the ball harder with the woods........just let the club do the work. Continue an a nice paced swing as if there is no ball there......also keep in mind the front of the club needs to be square to the ball or it will go right....ot left.
By gilberto
I struggle with my woods too, try to avoid using them off the tee. My slice is terrible when using woods! :boxing:
By bluntcap
gilberto wrote:I struggle with my woods too, try to avoid using them off the tee. My slice is terrible when using woods! :boxing:
The woods are the best clubs to hit! I love them.
By gilberto
bluntcap wrote:
gilberto wrote:I struggle with my woods too, try to avoid using them off the tee. My slice is terrible when using woods! :boxing:
I should really take more lessons to sort that part of my game out! Anymore tips? What you playing off?
By bluntcap
gilberto wrote:
bluntcap wrote:
I should really take more lessons to sort that part of my game out! Anymore tips? What you playing off?
Lessons are a must in golf.....well my golfing past is a bit up and down :lol: Was told from age 6 I had a natural swing, was always good at the game, went 6 years without lifting a club from like 12-18 and when I went up to the range with my dad 99% of the shots were right down the middle and that's without lifting a club for 6 years :lol: Kinda like riding a bike for me I never forget, I've been told hundreds of times I could be playing off 2 or 3 if I just stuck at the game for a good year.........but I always loose intrest, takes up too much time tbh. Plus I don't want to pay silly money for a golf membership, my dad's a member of the best club in Belfast and always wants to get me in there :lol: He plays off 8 and when I play with him he hate's giving me any extra shots as I rarely need them. But as Ive never been a member I have no offical handicap.

As for tips lessons are the best place to start, getting into the complex parts of the swing can put alot of people off, a good consistant speed with your back swing and follow through are essential, most people try to hit the ball....never do that, just act as if the ball isn't there and let the club do the work.
By gilberto
You sound like a much better golfer than me, it's been a painful experience for me trying to get a decent iron shot, lost the rag on a number of occassions!. :lol:
By andrewfruity
do like a spot of golf now and then! usually hit between 18 and 26 over par, best i ever did was 14 over on the championship course in addington! one of my cousins plays off scratch and another cousin (female) plays off a 4 shes only 19!

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]