The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Fancy yourself as a pundit? Post your thoughts here!
By Hooj
dutch wrote:
Hooj wrote:
dutch wrote:Will be a good fight :-D who is the champ at 185 that chael has fought? He has only fought silva once, i think.
He fought Silva twice... the first time he had beaten him, but gave him a submission right at the end of the 5th round. Was an absolute shocker. The second time he got his ass handed to him.

In other news:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-162-silva- ... -las-vegas

I'll be cheering on the Korean Zombie all the way, wanna see him get a title shot! Whole card is stacked though!

is the zombie fighting in the ufc now? i'm so out of touch atm
:lol: has been for years Dutch! ...One of my fav fighters. Now he's stopped using his face to block punches and massively improved his technique, he's a real title contender!
By Hooj
http://www.mmaweekly.com/the-ufc-suspen ... tory-tweet

What a load of crap, it's not like it's a performance enhancer! Quite the opposite in fact. I just don't understand the stigma that revolves around cannabis use when alcohol, arguably a more damaging drug, is freely available to all and sundry, despite it knowingly causing significant social & health problems.

Weed is like anything, in moderation it's really not a problem and in my opinion, when compared to alcohol, a better choice when considering all the negatives associated with the former.

...Oops went off topic a little there, but didn't go into full rant mode :lol:
By NyseriA
Hooj wrote:http://www.mmaweekly.com/the-ufc-suspen ... tory-tweet

What a load of crap, it's not like it's a performance enhancer! Quite the opposite in fact. I just don't understand the stigma that revolves around cannabis use when alcohol, arguably a more damaging drug, is freely available to all and sundry, despite it knowingly causing significant social & health problems.
Except that it's fkin illegal :lol:
Weed is like anything, in moderation it's really not a problem and in my opinion, when compared to alcohol, a better choice when considering all the negatives associated with the former.
You're off to a hiding to nothing if the best reason you can come up with for legalising cannabis is that it's less harmful than alcohol.
I'd keep it illegal if it means that either of the Diaz turds are suspended more :lol:
By Hooj
TRT much? :roll:

So perhaps you should stop banging on about God and Jesus

...but it was an outstanding spinning heel kick :cooldude:
Last edited by Hooj on Tue May 21, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hooj
NyseriA wrote:
Hooj wrote:http://www.mmaweekly.com/the-ufc-suspen ... tory-tweet

Except that it's fkin illegal :lol:
You're off to a hiding to nothing if the best reason you can come up with for legalising cannabis is that it's less harmful than alcohol.
I'd keep it illegal if it means that either of the Diaz turds are suspended more :lol:
Well it's been scientifically proven to be less harmful than alcohol and frankly it's my freedom of choice - why should someone dictate that I'm not allowed to use something which I find quite socially acceptable in moderation.

The main reason it's still illegal IMO is traditionalism and the fact that no politician is willing to grow a pair and speak contrary to the common view.... despite the fact the governments own advisers have provided solid scientific research to support that argument. Oh yeh but they fired that person shortly after he released his report and ignored it's contents :eh:
By Hooj
..ahem

Back to MMA, Souza is going to tear his weight division a new one! Looking forward to his next fight. Nick Lentz also looked impressive and consistent as ever :salut:
By NyseriA
Hooj wrote:Well it's been scientifically proven to be less harmful than alcohol and frankly it's my freedom of choice - why should someone dictate that I'm not allowed to use something which I find quite socially acceptable in moderation.
The science involved is relatively limited, in comparison to regular pharmaceuticals, but that's not the point I was making...

Why should someone dictate to you what you're allowed to use? That's called, "law" :lol:
The main reason it's still illegal IMO is traditionalism and the fact that no politician is willing to grow a pair and speak contrary to the common view.... despite the fact the governments own advisers have provided solid scientific research to support that argument. Oh yeh but they fired that person shortly after he released his report and ignored it's contents :eh:
The main reason it's illegal probably still is traditionalism and also the fact that nothing *good* comes from it. I am not even arsed that people want to cabbage themselves on any given drug, if their lives need spicing up (or down, as the case may be) then good luck with that, but trying to promote benefits just makes me lol. Almost every person I have ever sectioned has been a heavy cannabis user; which way around that relationship occurs is up for debate, but it's more than a statistical coincidence.

If we take a straw poll of all the endemic users of cannabis to see what type of people we have, who do you think it's likely to be? From my experience it's not the medical students, teachers, accountants, barristers, etc. It's the unemployed, the feckless youth and the media students. As you rightly said above, it's hardly a performance enhancing drug!

Also, anecdotally, good friend was a stoner all the way through school. Did sh-t. All the way through college. Did sh-t. Binned it off and cracked down to work, now has a good job and doesn't smoke at all. It can be as destructive as any other drug if overused. Do I think it should be banned? Only in the same way that I think that cigarettes should be banned; that is to say I am not particularly bothered either way but see the pros/cons of both arguments but tend to dislike things being banned ;)
By Hooj
Yup can be destructive - overuse as you stated, just like alcohol.. and cigarettes. Unfortunately, part of human nature seems to be an inability to use something which is addictive in moderation. Some can, many can't. Doesn't necessarily mean that the 'some' should be punished under a law created to protect the many :smile: But hey, I also see both points of view and realistically it's something that could only be used sporadically if you wanted to actually hold down a decent job where you have to apply intellect!
By Hooj
Back to MMA the main card for UFC 160 is stacked! Very much looking forward to Dos Santos vs Hunt and Bigfoot vs Velasquez... could put money on a knockout in either of those fights.

http://uk.ufc.com/
By Hooj
Well if you haven't seen it by now, you aren't really a fan of MMA, so no spoiler warnings at the top of this post :wink:

Anderson got far too cocky and got caught. Simple as that. I mean you can count the number of punches he threw the whole fight on one hand.

Granted he has held the belt for a long time and I'm sure he is tired of training every day to keep himself in the condition he needed to be to defend the title year after year. However, you can simply retire the champion - he didn't plan to give the fight to Chris Weidman.

Chris however, deserved it, he showed great patience and resilience to what is quite a disrespectful way to act towards another professional MMA fighter. His patience paid off and unfortunately Anderson went out clowning rather than fighting.

So the next thing to see is whether Anderson refuses the rematch that Dana will so obviously want. If Anderson sticks to his word, he won't take the fight. He's certainly not contractually obliged and I imagine he doesn't need the money any more! We shall see....
By Hooj
On another note, Cub Swanson... damn that kid looks good, no great. He is going places. Barboza looks unstoppable at the moment too, can't see anything happening other than him fighting his way to a title shot. Frankie looked as solid as ever, I swear if he was 6 inches taller he could have finished Oliviera. Nevertheless, Oliviera himself looked very good and I'm sure he will learn so much from that fight.

Anyway nevermind all this, I am HYPE for The Korean Zombie getting a title shot - I've been calling that for soooooo long! One of my favourite fighters and I'll be backing him all the way against Aldo.
By dnz 21
Hendricks was robbed, was a ridiculous decision. Lost me a bottle of winter JD in a bet as well :bad-words:
By Hooj
Well I've had this discussion with others, and sadly he didn't win :-| I'll explain:

Basically Hendricks dominated 2 Rounds, which were obviously Round 2 and 4 and inflicted a lot of damage. Conversely GSP ended up just edging the rounds he won - scoring with strikes, but inflicting no damage.... Rounds 1, 3 and 5. So it looks like Hendricks dominated overall as GSP although scoring, didn't even mark Hendricks. Round 1 was basically where the fight was lost, as his corner seemed convinced he took it and consequently he took his foot off the gas in Round 5 and cruised and I sorely wish he hadn't - he deserved the win.

I think the problem comes from the 10 point must win scoring system, it just isn't tailored to suit MMA. For example, judges almost always ensure a round ends 10-9 regardless of what occurred. This encourages fighters to take in easy in rounds and just try to win near the end with a quick flurry or two. Why waste all the time and energy dominating a round and possibly putting yourself in danger while doing so when the best you can get from total domination is 10-9, with maybe the rare 10-8 being awarded by just one judge.... If the fighter knows hes going to be down more in a round he's more likely to step up in the fight which would create more action.

So if you amended the scoring system to take into account and fairly score the different aspects of MMA, perhaps it would make each round and therefore the whole fight more competitive and fair.

For example;

1 point for a successful strike (body or head)
2 points for a power strike (or perhaps a strike that causes significant damage?)
3 points for a strike that clearly staggers the opponent
5 points for a knockdown

3 points for a takedown
2 points for a close submission attempt
1 point for reversing a position or a sweep
1 point for successfully defending a takedown
1 point for each minute in top position

I don't know - that's just a quick idea without putting much thought in, but you get the idea.

So as said above, what has caused the controversy in this fight is that Hendricks won 2 rounds convincingly, he was in effect quite dominant. GSP just won 2 rounds (although I still think the 1st Round was 50/50) and then easily won the 5th because Hendricks thought he'd done enough. If, however, you applied the (hastily made) system above it would perhaps provide a score line that is closer to what actually happened in the fight :)

Actual scorecard:

long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]