The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Fancy yourself as a pundit? Post your thoughts here!
By TimEP3
Ha. Funny, that's exactly what i said after the Spurs game. Who'd have thought that midfielders in midfield and attacking players up front (not just a bunch of strikers) would work?! Also, it seems that if you have players in attack, who can run, that's of benefit to the team. Hopefully United go with this idea in the summer and buy some other players who can run. If they could get some who can run quite quickly, are good at kicking the ball and then play them in their actual position, maybe that might help overall.
By TimEP3
5 wins on the bounce. Who'd have seen that coming? Can go into the Manchester derby not dreading it, for the first time in a long time. City are playing terribly, so that no doubt means we'll get battered. The team seems to have got the idea of the LVG philosophy now, although we need to execute it better/faster than we did at the weekend, past. If we could get someone in the Fellaini role, who can play a bit, i think we'd be on the way to a half-decent team. Don't get me wrong, Fellaini has done well recently and proved effective in certain games, but his use is definitely limited. I think he's done enough to stay beyond the end of the season, mind. Even if it is only for a late plan B and aim for his head.
By EvoStu
Stevo07 wrote:Great game, United were really excellent at times.
Started really poorly but once they got going they were really great. The scoreline flattered City.
By Stevo07
Considering the injuries, crazy tactics and formations, shite football and having to use players like Young and Valencia regularly utd look set for a respectable finish. Mata looks a different player out wide and Herrera is showing the kind of form he did in Spain. If LVG hadn't fecked about so much you may have mounted a challenge.
By EvoStu
Stevo07 wrote:Considering the injuries, crazy tactics and formations, shite football and having to use players like Young and Valencia regularly utd look set for a respectable finish. Mata looks a different player out wide and Herrera is showing the kind of form he did in Spain. If LVG hadn't fecked about so much you may have mounted a challenge.
Trouble is for a new manager you have to find the right balance. I mean come on who'd have thought Fellaini would be playing like he is right now, after last season?
By Stevo07
EvoStu wrote:
Stevo07 wrote:Considering the injuries, crazy tactics and formations, shite football and having to use players like Young and Valencia regularly utd look set for a respectable finish. Mata looks a different player out wide and Herrera is showing the kind of form he did in Spain. If LVG hadn't fecked about so much you may have mounted a challenge.
Trouble is for a new manager you have to find the right balance. I mean come on who'd have thought Fellaini would be playing like he is right now, after last season?
I understand that Stu. By all means tinker with the line up but it was as clear as the nose on your face that 352 didn't suit the team/players just about every time it was used. Add to that playing Rooney in defensive midfield and Di Maria as a striker I genuinely thought LVG had lost the plot. Fellaini, for me, is like your Samara. :lol: I mean that in a good way, I loved big Sami at Celtic. He was a big nuisance and used his limited ability well. I think Fellaini tried too hard to be something he isn't last season.
By EvoStu
Either way, I'm chuffed the philosophy has finally started paying dividends. Fellaini though has been a revelation recently.
By TimEP3
What a horrible, deflating performance at the weekend. After the highs of wins against City, Spurs and Liverpool, that was something of a grounding at Everton. Quite clear there's still a lot of work required, and several changes in personnel. We've got to grips with what LVG wants in terms of his tactics and strategy, but we really need some players in. Valencia has done ok at right-back, but he's constantly at fault for goals. The opener against City, 2 against Everton (no fault in the 3rd, which was just farcical from the officials). Valencia is fine as a stop-gap, but he's never a right-back for a club like Man United. Same with Fellaini; he's been useful this season, but he's never a first XI player and hopefully some quality will be brought in for those positions. We also need to work on a replacement or cover for Carrick. 72% win ratio with him in the team, 35% win ratio without. I'm a Carrick fan, but there's no way he's so good a player that his presence should have that much of an impact.
By EvoStu
TimEP3 wrote:What a horrible, deflating performance at the weekend. After the highs of wins against City, Spurs and Liverpool, that was something of a grounding at Everton. Quite clear there's still a lot of work required, and several changes in personnel. We've got to grips with what LVG wants in terms of his tactics and strategy, but we really need some players in. Valencia has done ok at right-back, but he's constantly at fault for goals. The opener against City, 2 against Everton (no fault in the 3rd, which was just farcical from the officials). Valencia is fine as a stop-gap, but he's never a right-back for a club like Man United. Same with Fellaini; he's been useful this season, but he's never a first XI player and hopefully some quality will be brought in for those positions. We also need to work on a replacement or cover for Carrick. 72% win ratio with him in the team, 35% win ratio without. I'm a Carrick fan, but there's no way he's so good a player that his presence should have that much of an impact.
I agree on the Carrick comment. I can't understand why its concentrated on so much, especially as in the grand scheme of things there are better players in the team.
By TimEP3
Another game without Carrick, another defeat. Lol.

Almost feels like the players think they're home and hosed. It does look like they should be, but football doesn't always work that way.

Anyway, once again we really lacked a cutting edge at the weekend. 80% possession but i'd argue their keeper only really made 1 decent save.
By EvoStu
Signing one in the bag.

#mufc has reached an agreement with PSV Eindhoven & Memphis Depay for the player's transfer, subject to a medical.
By Stevo07
TimEP3 wrote:He'd certainly be on mine, for sure.

As would Memphis Depay have been, but we've just signed him so i can cross that one off now! Get in!
Good signing, lots of potential.

It was when watching PSG against Barca a couple weeks ago I thought Veratti was a class apart from anything else in a PSG shirt. Exactly the kind of player you've needed for a while. Wouldn't be signing Cavani though, he's scored a sh-t load of goals but I've never seen him put in a performance in a big game.
By TimEP3
I agree completely about Veratti's performance in that Champions League game. He really made his mark on the pitch that day.

Carrick now out for the rest of the season, btw. Memphis, i give you, THE EUROPA LEAGUE. Welcome to the big time!
By TimEP3
MANCHESTER UNITED DID A WIN!!!11!one!

Right, it's time to overhaul the squad now. A few signings in the right areas and this team could be totally different next season. Just got to hope for a good summer. Depay already sealed is a great start to things! De Gea signing a new deal would be the best move we could make, mind, but i'm not overly confident on that front.

Regardless, picture the team with a few very gettable signings:

--------------De Gea
Clyne Hummels Rojo Shaw
--------------Veratti
-------Herrera - Gundogan
Di Maria ---------------- Depay
-------------- Rooney

But i do this type of thing every year, and get let down by the signings, so i'll not get too carried away just yet!

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]