The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Discuss your favourite Movie, TV Show or Music here.
By plasmaman
Great film, really good. Good use of cgi unlike the last 3, not too much, not too less. The princess leia character you could tell was fake, more false than jar jar, very disappointed with that. Second best after TESB.
By mjhamilton
The one player by the real person Carrie Fisher who participated in the making of the movie?!?
By jtc
Lol, Carrie Fisher was just sober for a change :lol:

Really enjoyed the film, I want to go and see it again to absorb the more nerdy bits. I just sat and enjoyed it as a film first time round.

I would say (and this is quite a leap) that it's my 3rd favourite Star Wars film.
By plasmaman
Yep Carrie Fisher was real but she looked more fake than most of the cgi :)

Nerd fact, max von sydow at the beginning of the film played ming the mercilous in flash gordon and that original character was who george lucas based the emperor on :) i love the nerd facts :)
By mjhamilton
Still confused by the fake comments - she just looked 35 years or so older which is sort or to be expected

Saw it today with my daughter and we were both most impressed - did a solid job of continuing the story and refreshing at the same time
By Adey
Yeah me too. Wasn't sure how she was going to pull it off considering she's as mad as a bag of frogs. She did a good job.

Great film. Just enough humour. CGI was amazing because it was hardly noticeable, apart from the new hologram emperor bloke. No stupid pinpoint accurate deflections of laser blasts off of lightsabers. And the lightsaber fights were much better, less showey.
By mjhamilton
Agree 100%

The prequels never really did it for me

However when this one kicked off I felt like I was in the cinema watching the originals with my grandad again

Maybe it was because I took my daughter and she was as excited as I had ever seen her (she only watched the previous films over the previous two weeks) or the fact that the intro words were fuzzy and dirty just like the original movies at the start
By richd7
Can't help but think I'd seen it before.. oh yeah, episode 4. Was it supposed to be a reboot then? I expected something new rather than just different characters and locations. The plot was the same. Some nice effects and the new girl is tasty.
By mjhamilton
Continuance of a story is always going to have common thread and similarity

It's a Sci Fi fairy tale if you went in expecting more then you went to the wrong movie
By richd7
mjhamilton wrote:Continuance of a story is always going to have common thread and similarity

It's a Sci Fi fairy tale if you went in expecting more then you went to the wrong movie
I'd be happy to agree with that but as many have pointed out, this is so close to A New Hope it is more a reboot. Obviously I won't list them here to avoid spoilers, but pop over to imdb and read the reviews or the many websites. Even from the very start when small droid was given super secret info the big bad guys want I thought it was far too close to Episode 4. Still enjoyed it, but they should've done more and differently.
By mjhamilton
My response to that is "so what?"

People trying to sound clever when picking holes in plots for films which are essentially fairy tales really need to get out more :)

But like nuggets who shout about which is better PS4 or XBone - switch off, go watch and enjoy
By richd7
Must be just one of those who expects more from a $200millon film rather than just pretty explosions and bad dialogue from bland one dimensional characters.

The original Star Wars was basic "rescue the princess from the castle" story telling but it came at a time when there was nothing like it. To remake that now and call it a "new" story is an insult to those that have waited 30 years for this film. But ho hum, lots of people like to see predictable stuff as long as its hyped enough. I mean Fast and Furious 7 made over a billion so it shows what advertising and hype can do. You clearly can polish a turd with the right amount of money.

Spoilers:

I mean seriously, third time some huge galatic empire has created a planet killing weapon in a moon sized structure and it still gets wiped out by a single x-wing during its first battle. Who's green lighting thesr things and paying the insurance? As failings go that's got to be up there with those aliens in ID4 travelling trillions of miles without some virus protection.
By plasmaman
There were lots of inspirations from A New Hope, a lot to say the least. But it felt like a Star Wars movie throughout and I wanted it to go on at the end. So its all plus for me and its not meant to be taken too seriously. They do need to rethink planning, implementing, testing and signing off these superweapons though :)
By richd7
plasmaman wrote:There were lots of inspirations from A New Hope, a lot to say the least. But it felt like a Star Wars movie throughout and I wanted it to go on at the end. So its all plus for me and its not meant to be taken too seriously. They do need to rethink planning, implementing, testing and signing off these superweapons though :)
Oh a definite star wars film and I loved that it didn't rely on cgi. Just wished it had gone another direction, maybe a darker ending for the first of this three for a change. Plus how did this First Order get so huge after RotJ? They're better financed than the empire and sith combined, and their troopers can aim!
By Adey
Meh. I didn't want a massive change of direction. The reason I loved it is because it was very star warsy. And I'm obviously not the only one because it scores 8.6 on IMDB.
I mean Fast and Furious 7 made over a billion so it shows what advertising and hype can do
I think it shows what a cast member death can do tbh.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]