The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

BTCC, 4 wheels? 2 Wheels? On Water? How are the Honda teams doing?
By Mad-Dog
We all know or should know of his exploits in the WRC, he's practically a living legend. But it seems he's now turning his hand to more circuit biased racing, primarily the WTCC.

If he wins races and championships at that level, what's to stop him moving higher up into more single seat racing other than age.

Is he possibly THE greatest driver ever?
Probably the best rally driver ever, but pretty much impossible to go any further than that as motor racing is so diverse.

You can't really compare the skills of a rally driver to an F1 driver as they're so different.
Kimi R proved that no matter how good you are in you chosen discipline it doesn't mean you will still be as good in others

These drivers hone their skills throughout their entire careers to suit what they are doing
ben-111 wrote:Kimi R proved that no matter how good you are in you chosen discipline it doesn't mean you will still be as good in others

These drivers hone their skills throughout their entire careers to suit what they are doing
This is what the race of champions was setup to prove. Multiple disciplines across the event, and Loeb has won it 3 times overall.
Not to diminish his exploits in any way, because he is an amazing driver regardless, but don't you think WRC became a bit stale during his dominance? Few factory teams, less variety of vehicles, few new drivers?

Made me laugh how Loeb just popped across to compete in the rallyX in the X-games and just won. Lol :lol:
That's a very good point Nys, however it's not as if he hasn't had decent competition withing the sport though. He probably had the best works team granted but Ford had some very good drivers. As for being the master on only one discipline, you need only look at the track racing he's done (gt3 and gt racing) to see that he's also picked up wins on Tarmac in a competitive field.

I'd like to see him get a drive in a top F1 car just to see if his prowess is as good as people think, however for me he's currently the best driver out there imho
Mad-Dog wrote:That's a very good point Nys, however it's not as if he hasn't had decent competition withing the sport though. He probably had the best works team granted but Ford had some very good drivers. As for being the master on only one discipline, you need only look at the track racing he's done (gt3 and gt racing) to see that he's also picked up wins on Tarmac in a competitive field.

I'd like to see him get a drive in a top F1 car just to see if his prowess is as good as people think, however for me he's currently the best driver out there imho
Cough. Race of Champions. Cough.
By EvoStu
Dixy1987 wrote:The current race of champions winner is Romain Grosjean, so it hardly provides the answer to the greatest driver.
Its across multiple race disciplines, and he beat all the others in there, so yeah it does prove he's the best overall driver.
EvoStu wrote:
Dixy1987 wrote:The current race of champions winner is Romain Grosjean, so it hardly provides the answer to the greatest driver.
Its across multiple race disciplines, and he beat all the others in there, so yeah it does prove he's the best overall driver.
Yeah, ask anyone in motorsport who they think is the best driver. I highly doubt anyone will tell you Grosjean.
Last years cars were:

ROC Car buggy
KTM X-Bow
Audi R8 LMS
Gallardo ST
VW 'rocco R Cup
Euro Racecar

A nice selection, but not really going to prove that Loeb (a WRC driver, mostly) is better than Vettel (an F1 Driver) other than at those cars. I'd go out on a limb to suggest that they're all more closely related to a WRC car than an F1 car and that Vettel would do better at rally cross than Loeb would at F1, but who knows.

I do know that a few laps head to head in the same car doesn't equate to 50 laps of Silverstone, or a number of stages across Kielder :shock:

It is an interesting and entertaining spectacle, but as for saying who the best driver is - not that clear, for sure :)
By EvoStu
Dixy1987 wrote:
EvoStu wrote:
Yeah, ask anyone in motorsport who they think is the best driver. I highly doubt anyone will tell you Grosjean.
You miss the point obviously.

@ Nys, ROC is setup to find the best performing driver across the event in different vehicles.

Its like anything, some will be good at one thing, others another, but this is interested in overall times.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]