The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

BTCC, 4 wheels? 2 Wheels? On Water? How are the Honda teams doing?
By EvoStu
Tec wrote:
EvoStu wrote:
Tec wrote:Honda also said that they have until the end of January to find a buyer otherwise everyone is on the dole. We're almost half way through January now.

Personally I'd be amazed if anyone even remotely touches it. No one can justify Honda F1s overheads in the current climate. 700 staff.... Does anyone know if they've been working on the car since the Honda decision? If they haven't I presume the car will again be at the back of the grid.
The company is continuing to trade as money was given by Honda until the end of this month. Like they stated in the press release it was business as normal until then. Any company taking over will almost certainly cut the workforce in half though.

The car is apparently a top 3 ranking machine according to those in the know though so it may be worth an investment as the initial groundwork is done.

EvoStu.
How is someone in the know? No real 2009 testing has taken place yet so no one knows what the grid is going to look like or the relative performance of any of the cars yet. Winter testing always throws up potential challengers and then its as per normal come Australia, big boys on the front row. I expect it will be the same. Standard engineer/ team silly season hyperbole. Honda weren't the only team to develop next years car after all! I would be very surprised if it was ahead to McLaren, Ferrari and BMW. BMW could have come far closer last year if they hadn't diverted the effort from the 2008 car so early.
I think the point here is that Honda began developing their 2009 car approx 9 months before everyone else. Most of their annual budget was spent on the new car as opposed to the 2008 car. Even Ross Brawn said that he ditched the 2008 season when he arrived as the 2008 car was simply not good enough and was therefore concentrating on 2009. Brawn has been quoted as saying that he believes that the 2009 car is one of his best designs.

EvoStu.
By Alanok
The main problem as I see it is they have no engine and the only possible manufacturer, Ferrari, have pretty much ruled that idea out. Brawn has stated that they need at least 6 weeks to modify their car to an engine. So even if they get a buyer and an engine, pre-season testing is going to be very short to iron out any faults or hone aero or mechanical upgrades.
By Tec
Alanok wrote:The main problem as I see it is they have no engine and the only possible manufacturer, Ferrari, have pretty much ruled that idea out. Brawn has stated that they need at least 6 weeks to modify their car to an engine. So even if they get a buyer and an engine, pre-season testing is going to be very short to iron out any faults or hone aero or mechanical upgrades.
Exactly. The car will be at the back of the grid. Again. Testing post Jan 09 will be limited at best, if they find a buyer (and thats something I'm highly sceptical about).

Most of BMWs budget last year was on the 2009 car. McClaren and Ferrari just spend accordingly as they can. F1 has always had rules changes, but the big boys are always at the front of the grid. That said, Honda couldn't do any worse that the last few years.
By jtc
Tec wrote:
Alanok wrote:The main problem as I see it is they have no engine and the only possible manufacturer, Ferrari, have pretty much ruled that idea out. Brawn has stated that they need at least 6 weeks to modify their car to an engine. So even if they get a buyer and an engine, pre-season testing is going to be very short to iron out any faults or hone aero or mechanical upgrades.
Exactly. The car will be at the back of the grid. Again. Testing post Jan 09 will be limited at best, if they find a buyer (and thats something I'm highly sceptical about).

Most of BMWs budget last year was on the 2009 car. McClaren and Ferrari just spend accordingly as they can. F1 has always had rules changes, but the big boys are always at the front of the grid. That said, Honda couldn't do any worse that the last few years.
How times and opinions have changed since before the start of the season!

Looking forward to next weekend :thumbup:
By RickHondaR
evilowl wrote:I must admit I wasn't surprised at all. Given the fact that F1 costs them millions and millions every year, I don't think they wanted to face telling staff that they were being made redundant and at the same time pumping millions into Jenson coming in 15th (as usual)

It goes to show how good the Jenson is with the right equipment and people around him, makes you wonder how good MS would have been with no Ross Brawn.
By kingofdbrits
RickHondaR wrote:

It goes to show how good the Jenson is with the right equipment and people around him, makes you wonder how good MS would have been with no Ross Brawn.
Very good points.
By RickHondaR
Well what a difference 12months has made, JB the guy who a lot did not rate is now world champion and on his way to mclaren. I doubt he will have the raw pace of Lewis but do know 100% sure he will be a lot quicker than Hekki :thumbup:
By RickHondaR
Well again 12months on and Jenson to be fair did a very good job at keeping Lewis honest, Lets hope the new McLaren is more competitive this year to give both drivers a shot at the WDC.
By rossy t
jenson gave up F1. got in a special time machine that took 10 years off his life. grew his hair to look like a member of busted and came second in the snooker. fair play.
By jtc
So ... a lifetime at McLaren for JB, with Paddy Lowe saying he is "vital" to their future development ...

Nice kick in the teeth to Lewis there :lol:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]