The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Go go juice and lubrication.
It appears that Honda are using 10w-40 for running in.

After the run-in period, these are the oils/fluids you should use as per the Manufacturers recommendations.

Lubricant report for:
Honda, Civic 2001, Civic 2.0 16V Type R, (2.0 Typ R VTEC),2001-
Manufacturer: Honda Motor Co. Ltd., Tokyo, Japan
Drive type: f.w.d.
Cilinder capacity: 1998 cc
Power output: 200 HP/147 kW at 7400 rpm

Engine, petrol, 4-stroke, water cooled, 4 valves/cyl.
Capacity 4.50 liter
Filter capacity: 0.20 liter
Change every 20000 km or 12 months
Check daily

OEM recommendation
Year-round API: SJ-EC SAE 0W-20
Year-round API: SJ-EC SAE 0W-30
Year-round API: SJ-EC SAE 0W-40
Year-round API: SJ-EC SAE 5W-30
Year-round API: SJ-EC SAE 5W-40

Component note
Under severe conditions change fluid every 10000km/6 months.

Transaxle, manual
Capacity 1.50 liter
Gears forward: 6
Gears reverse: 1
Check every 20000 km or 12 months
Change every 120000 km or 72 months
Check check for leaks

OEM recommendation
Year-round Special Honda MTF-II -

Lube group note
If Honda MTF-II is not available, in emergency cases a motor oil API: SG or SH with viscosity 10W-30 or 10W-40 may be used. This can lead to a heavy gear change and excessive wear.

Component note
When driving in extreme temp.(>32°C) or when driving with caravan or in the mountains, change fluid every 60000km/48 months.

Power steering
Special service: Top up only (filled for life).

OEM recommendation
Year-round Special power steering fluid, Honda -

Lube group note
Do not use other fluids!

Hydraulic brakes/clutch system, ABS
Capacity 0.60 liter
Change every 36 months
Check check for leaks

OEM recommendation
Year-round Brake fluid, DOT 3 -
Year-round Brake fluid, DOT 4 -

Cooling system
Capacity 5.30 liter
Change every 100000 km or 60 months
Check check for leaks
Special service: First change at 200000Km, or 120 Mths

Ensure that the API is either SJ or SL for the engine oil. The latest is SL and as these are backwardly compatible it's best to use the latest spec which is SL.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
Simon

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm
By type-RST
I,ve read your oil related posts and you confuse me. There are five oil
grades that you say are OEM recommended. Which ONE do you
recommend :?:
By oilman
type-RST wrote:I,ve read your oil related posts and you confuse me. There are five oil
grades that you say are OEM recommended. Which ONE do you
recommend :?:
For all year round use in the UK I would suggest the 5w-40 or 5w-30.

Cheers.
By Spykee
Oilman,

:idea: now knowing the best viscosity to chose are there any particular 'makes' that you would recommend or stear clear of? :scratch:

cheers,
By oilman
Spykee wrote:Oilman,

:idea: now knowing the best viscosity to chose are there any particular 'makes' that you would recommend or stear clear of? :scratch:

cheers,
I would recomend Silkolene, Mobil, Motul, Redline as my favorite top oils based in the tech data I have on them.

Cheers

Guy.
By Spykee
cheers Guy,

just bought myself some Mobil 1 so that should do it nicely 8)

i always knew that Mobil was one of the best but seeing as you are in the know i wanted a more informed choice really :wink:

can't find any Silkolene anywhere round here :cry:

after reading your massive but highly informative threads about the oils and whats put in them as well as the Castrol court case etc... i wasn't convinced with the Castrol SLX that Honda reccommends being the best stuff to use!

more likely to be best corporate deal that honda could get from the factory, which included they have to further reccommend Castrol as part of the contract, bit like the Bridgestone Potenza situation really!

cheers again anyway,
By oilman
Spykee wrote:cheers Guy,

just bought myself some Mobil 1 so that should do it nicely 8)

i always knew that Mobil was one of the best but seeing as you are in the know i wanted a more informed choice really :wink:

can't find any Silkolene anywhere round here :cry:

after reading your massive but highly informative threads about the oils and whats put in them as well as the Castrol court case etc... i wasn't convinced with the Castrol SLX that Honda reccommends being the best stuff to use!

more likely to be best corporate deal that honda could get from the factory, which included they have to further reccommend Castrol as part of the contract, bit like the Bridgestone Potenza situation really!

cheers again anyway,
Yep you are spot on, Castrol is recomended because they have probably signed a deal, the SLX is actually not a bad oil because they have to use a true synthetic to get down to the 0w viscosity rating.

Which grade of Mobil 1 are you using?

Cheers

Guy.
By Spykee
well i bought SuperSyn Mobil 1 fully synthetic, 0w-40 Protection Formula as i couldnt find 5w-30 of anything anywhere :?

it says that it is Tri-synthetic, especially engineered for high performance and turbocharged engines.

it also says it meets API SL/CF; ACEA A3/B3/B4....... if that means anything to you? :scratch:

cheers,
By oilman
Spykee wrote:well i bought SuperSyn Mobil 1 fully synthetic, 0w-40 Protection Formula as i couldnt find 5w-30 of anything anywhere :?

it says that it is Tri-synthetic, especially engineered for high performance and turbocharged engines.

it also says it meets API SL/CF; ACEA A3/B3/B4....... if that means anything to you? :scratch:

cheers,
The Mobil 1 0w-40 is actually a pretty good oil. Mobil pride themselves on making true PAO synthetic which is a good thing, still with a high revving engin an SA40 of good quality is not too thick and a true PAO or ester/PAO 0w-40 is a good choice. For what its worth I supply it and rate it.

How do you get on with it?

Cheers

Guy.
By Gunn79
Oilman,

I have 5L of Silkolene Pro s 5W-40 left from my 10L purchase from yourself, I originally bought the oil for a 2002 Saxo VTS, will I be able to use the remaining 5L in my CTR??

Also I purchased the oil from you approx 3 months ago, and I wont be using it for another approx 12months. Does it have a shelf life??

Cheers. :)
By oilman
Gunn79 wrote:Oilman,

I have 5L of Silkolene Pro s 5W-40 left from my 10L purchase from yourself, I originally bought the oil for a 2002 Saxo VTS, will I be able to use the remaining 5L in my CTR??

Also I purchased the oil from you approx 3 months ago, and I wont be using it for another approx 12months. Does it have a shelf life??

Cheers. :)
Gunn,

The Pro S 5w-40 is fine for the CTR, not problems, and as long as the oil is sealed it has a shelf life of around 4 years.

Cheers

Guy.
By Gunn79
Thanks,

The oil is new and un-opened, so should be fine then. :)
By numbnuts-uk
i heard that silkolene is recycled oil is this true?
By EvoStu
numbnuts-uk wrote:i heard that silkolene is recycled oil is this true?
I doubt one of the worlds largest oil resellers would sell recycled oil.

You might know them better over here as Fuchs!

Silkolene supply oil to most of the Indy teams and CART teams.

EvoStu.
By oilman
They actually make some of the best quality oils available anywhere in the world today.

The race proven PRO S and PRO R are proper ester/pao synthetics and are used in many race and rally cars all over the world.

Cheers
Simon
By paxman21
I have just had my 3rd year service at Grays Honda in Essex and they put in Esso 10w40 oil, oh and charged a bomb for it! :cry:
By oilman
paxman21 wrote:I have just had my 3rd year service at Grays Honda in Essex and they put in Esso 10w40 oil, oh and charged a bomb for it! :cry:
Next time give me a shout and get better for less.

Cheers

Simon. :wink:
By paxman21
Yeh will do cheers, I thought they'd put decent stuff in as its a type r? I knew they'd charge a lot cause services just do!

James

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]