The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Go go juice and lubrication.
By fuzzylogic
Dealer has managed to overfill engine oil in my FN2 at recent service to the tune of 6mm above the top mark on the dippy. What should I do?? I didn't check it for two weeks, but, I shouldn't have to. Take it somewhere reputable for a service, and this happens. I'd have preferred they underfill it and tell me, rather than overfill it and say nowt.

I'm just plodding around in my car at the moment. Don't want to exert it too much in case it blows an oil seal somewhere.

mark
By Jktaylor87
It a VTEC therefore oil is king. Take it back and ask them to sort it! (See if they'll give you an FK as courtesy car for the trouble!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By parsimony
Too much is not good but what's done is done.
Just get it back to them to resolve the issue asap.
By dweezle
Is it 6mm over on an up to temp check or a cold check, it needs to be anywhere between min & max when up to temp.
A dealer overfilled mine by a whole litre once & it was about 2wks before I could clearly read the level, my local backstreet garage drained it & a different dealer gave it a complete once over & no damage was done, luckily it was during winter so my driving was slow
By Lewisgame
6mm above the dipstick is going to be a minimal amount of oil in this engine. It's fairly common with track guys to slightly over fill the engine with oil if they don't have a baffled sump to reduce the risk of oil starvation.
If it was over by say 15mm then you'd need to drain some out.
Personally I wouldn't worry. If anything, it'll be longer before you'll need to top up again.
By 15repyt
pulpmelon_r wrote:There's a huge chance of over-pressuring the Vtec solenoid with excess oil.

Symptoms include no Vtec in reverse for example.
:LOL:
By fuzzylogic
LOL

All sorted now. Took it back to the dealer. They drained the engine oil and re-filled it with the same stuff as it had only done 1400 miles.

It's never going back there!
By Lewisgame
fuzzylogic wrote:LOL

All sorted now. Took it back to the dealer. They drained the engine oil and re-filled it with the same stuff as it had only done 1400 miles.

Why not? I'm surprised they done that for you. In their eyes, you could of topped up the oil In 1400 miles and over filled it. They've given you a free oil change to resolve the issue that may have not been their fault.
By parsimony
Lewisgame wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:LOL

Why not? I'm surprised they done that for you. In their eyes, you could of topped up the oil In 1400 miles and over filled it. They've given you a free oil change to resolve the issue that may have not been their fault.
+1
Sounds like good service to me.
By Norv
This happens a lot on merc vans, we just drain the excess out and stick the bung back in! Don't fancy a full drain and refill, would take much longer!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
By fuzzylogic
Wasn't a free oil change! The work was free, but not an oil 'change' ie old for new. The oil that they took out was inspected and it was decided that nothing was wrong with it, so they poured or pumped it back into the engine. I was expecting them to have used brand new oil at their expense. Didn't even get an apology for their mistake.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]