The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Go go juice and lubrication.
By oilman
simons'civic wrote:i have just brought the total quartz 9000 synthetic oil 5w40 hope this is good stuff ?? its listed in the advert from oilman :scratch:
We used to sell it, but dropped it due to lack of demand, its fine :)
By garthoel
Nice article easily followed but the main question which i believe has alluded all is what is the best oil to use in a CTR !!!!

Am in a position of putting up all these variants to XRF analysis !!! The questions will always be the same quality, quantity and does it actually do the job !!!! : :scratch:
I am on my third Honda and all have been the same using the 5w30 oils thirsty understand yes they burn due to their nature but when did anyone want to put pop soda in their motor surely the big boys don't use this crap unless i am mistaken !!!!

Run a nitro-meth car for a strip on sherbert but what we want is an oil that can handle between services !!!!!

So hey guys may i suggest going back to the drawing board before i have to get sample data done on USN fish !!!!!!
By Newannaive
oiloman, is there any sense in changing from a pro-s 5w40 to a 10w40 as the engine reaches the later stages of it's life...100k+..???

tia
By culasse
Hey Guy, just a question about gear oil. Is it alright to use GM synchromesh friction modified MTF in my 2008 FN2? I looked at an American website and the yanks are frequently using this stuff in their Civic SI`s. Supposedly it has 0w30 viscosity, with some special additive mixed in. I don`t mind to change gear oil every year to keep the tranny alive.
What do you think.

Paul.
By PH47MF
i also have a noobie question again.

since i dont know what oil i have in my car (possibly something average or semi synthetic), if i start topping my car up with 0w40 castrol edge synthetic (which i just bought from opieoil), will this be seen as a waste? what will the grading become i.e. mixing 10w40 with 0w40 etc?

or should just go for an oil change and put the nice stuff in? :scratch:

thanks in advance oilman
By oilman
culasse wrote:Hey Guy, just a question about gear oil. Is it alright to use GM synchromesh friction modified MTF in my 2008 FN2? I looked at an American website and the yanks are frequently using this stuff in their Civic SI`s. Supposedly it has 0w30 viscosity, with some special additive mixed in. I don`t mind to change gear oil every year to keep the tranny alive.
What do you think.

Paul.
Paul,

I am not familiar with it but I am sure it will be fine :)

Cheers

Guy
By gringosteve
Hello oil dude!

I have a brand new CW Fn2...it has now done 1500 miles. Im not sure what oil the dealers put in it.

I want to buy some top up oil for it - for when/if it drinks prior to next service.

It has no mods. I do mainly country road driving - 70 mile round trip to work and back each day.

Which oil should i buy as top up?

Annnndddd...

At what point is the engine run in enough to do a full oil change..and when i do this which oil should i change too?

Ta

Steve
By m1ke
0w-40 or 5w-40 dude... both fine.

You won't need to change the oil until at least 10k. If you want to, then do it around 3k.

:thumbup:
By PH47MF
i'm sorry if this is the wrong place to submit this but i recently bought 5L of castrol 0w40 from opieoil and i noticed it is out of date by about 5 months. now i know oil is good for 3-4 years, is it the norm that online companies like opieoil still use these stocks? if it is then please excuse my ignorance. :vconf:
By oilman
If you got one that old its very odd as we turn our Castrol stock over on a weekly basis.

The oil will be fine but, if you're unhappy contact Guy or Tim and they sort it out for you.

The oldest we have seen is Ebay, 6 years :shock:

Cheers

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]