The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Go go juice and lubrication.
By MonkeyNuts
Mr Oilman,

Quick one, Just brought my 05 Type R. What are your thoughts on Mobil 1 New Life 0W/40? Is this a good oil for me to use in the Type R? I know you highly recommend the Fuch's Silkolene butt I have always had a thing about Mobil 1. It seems to me they are going through a slight branding change and I'm slightly unsure about the "New life" tag?

Your thoughts would be hugely appreciate.

Thanks

Kev :-D
By MonkeyNuts
oilman wrote:Hi Kev

It's a good oil and fine to use, although as it's a PAO oil, it's a step down from the ester based oils in quality terms.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks for your reply. When you say PAO oil what do you mean? May be a stupid question and if so I apologise! :oops:
By oilman
Hi

Sorry, meant to explain that, but got distracted. PAO oils are proper, lab made synthetics, so very good, but not quite as good as the ester based oils, which have the advantages of sticking to metals, being more stable at higher temps, offering the best lubrication and they can often help the car to run smoother.

Cheers

Tim
By MonkeyNuts
oilman wrote:Hi

Sorry, meant to explain that, but got distracted. PAO oils are proper, lab made synthetics, so very good, but not quite as good as the ester based oils, which have the advantages of sticking to metals, being more stable at higher temps, offering the best lubrication and they can often help the car to run smoother.

Cheers

Tim
Oh I see, we'll thanks for that info as its very helpful. The only thing that has kind of put me off the silkolene is the mention of it being race or rally oil, obviously want to be sure it will be ok for just normal use in the CTR. The occasional "Vtechin" but generally normal driving is how its used.

Thanks
By MonkeyNuts
oilman wrote:Many of the race oils carry approvals for road use, so there is no is no issue in using them on the road. If you want the best protection, go for one of those.

Cheers

Tim
Thanks for your help Tim

[smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By redep3
Looking to buy some oil I normally use 5w40 Fuchs I'm going to keep using this can I buy in bulk ? Also I have been hearing a lot about millers lately , your thoughts ? And 10w60 is perfect for track is that correct ?

Thanks
By oilman
Hi

If you use the code BLOWOUT before the end of the month, there is 20% off our site prices, so it's an ideal time to stock up on the Fuchs. Millers make some great oils, their CFS is similar to the Fuchs Pro S and then there is the CFS Nanodrive http://www.millersoils.co.uk/nanodrive.asp 10w-60 is not the right grade for track use in a Civic though, generally you'd want a 5w-40.

Cheers

Tim
By redep3
I've spoke to 3 big company's that tune/race ep3s and dc5 and they all say 10w 60 :/

And ok great whats the nano drive all about ?

Thanks will get some ordered :) cheers buddy
By oilman
I don't really get why certain tuning companies are keen to give out incorrect information on oils, I often have the feeling that they say 10w-60 so the engine doesn't last too long and they have to come back for a rebuild. There is also the old fashioned way of thinking in that with older oils, you have to use the thickest thing available in a performance engine as the oil would break down quickly to a more suitable grade. Modern oils are very stable, so if you put in a 10w-60, it should come out as a 10w-60. Unless the oil temp is getting over 125-130C, there is no need for anything thicker than a 5w/10w-40, but a quality one.

If they could explain why a 10w-60 is the best option for a Civic, I'd like to hear it (if their reason is basically along the lines of 'we've always done it and it's been fine' or 'you need a thick oil for these engines', that's just them not knowing about oil).

If you follow the link I posted about the Nanodrive, it explains why it's different to other oils and how it can give a potential power increase.

Cheers

Tim
By oilman
Hi

You need an MTF for the gearbox and I would go with the Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-670-75w-80-75w-85-mtfs.aspx

The best fluids for the brakes and clutch are the Castrol SRF, Motul RBF660 and Gulf RF1000. The Motul RBF600, Gulf RF1000, Millers 300 Plus and Fuchs Pro Race are close to those, but don't have quite as high boiling points. The next step down (in performance terms), but still an upgrade over standard are the Gulf Racing 5.1, Motul DOT 5.1 and Castrol React Performance. Any of the other DOT4 fluids we have are fine to use as a standard choice.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-450-brake-f ... fluid.aspx

Cheers

Tim
By theturkv
Hi, i have recently ordered Silkolene PRO S 5W-40 Ester Synthetic Oil for my ep3 (looking to purchase a 1ltr bottle just for top ups) however i also noticed Fuchs TITAN SUPERSYN 5W-40 High Performance, Fully Synthetic, Engine Oil. What is the difference between these two oils other than the price?

I do drive the car hard sometimes....or most of the time, only on proper roads which are hard to find these days with so many pot holes. However im not planning to track the car at any point so would the choice in oil matter??

thanks for the help.

**Ps, i was ment to reply to this post but ended up creating a new post....can that be deleted??? apologies for the inconveniance**
By oilman
Feel free to contact us here for any oil recommendations or any oil related questions you may have.

Alternatively complete our oil recommendation form and we will get back to you asap. You can also give us a call on 01209 202949 Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm or just drop us an email to [email protected]

Cheers

oilman
By oilman
If your need of any oil advice/recommendations then just ask us here and we will be happy to help.

Alternatively complete our oil recommendation form. You can also give us a call on 01209 202949 Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm or just drop us an email to [email protected]

Cheers

oilman

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]