The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Reviews, News & rumours relating to all things Honda.
Honda has announced the introduction of three all-new VTEC TURBO engines as part of its growing Earth Dreams Technology range. These new engines come in three capacities; 1 litre, 1.5 litre and 2 litre, and will deliver a dynamic performance, as well as class-leading output and fuel economy.

All three engines will be direct-injection petrol turbos, utilising variable valve motion technology such as Honda’s refined VTEC technology. Together with Honda’s 1.6 litre diesel engine and hybrid technology, these new turbo engines will be applied on a number of future global models, depending on local market requirements and vehicle characteristics.

Based on a completely new engine structure and utilising its newly developed turbo systems, Honda has downsized its engines and produced a highly efficient 1 litre direct-injection, 3-cyclinder turbo engine as well as a 1.5 litre direct injection, 4-cyclinder turbo engine. Both engines have low friction throughout and are able to achieve class-leading output and environmental performance.

The first VTEC TURBO set to come to Europe will be the high-output 2 litre, direct injection, 4-cyclinder turbo engine, which will appear in the forthcoming Civic Type R. A highly efficient and highly responsive engine, it will have an output in excess of 280ps and will be EURO 6 compliant.

1 Litre Turbo.

1.5 Litre Turbo.

2 Litre Turbo.
All very exciting! Will be nice to eventually get all R's on track and test them against the new one...and I dont mean an MPG test.

My money is on the EP3 round the track! ...anyone care to bet against me? :lol:
fotonas13 wrote:maybe there is more info on new CTR engine? Turbo? clutch? Compression ratio etc?
The first VTEC TURBO set to come to Europe will be the high-output 2 litre, direct injection, 4-cyclinder turbo engine, which will appear in the forthcoming Civic Type R. A highly efficient and highly responsive engine, it will have an output in excess of 280ps and will be EURO 6 compliant.
TimEP3 wrote:
This is not technical :) it marketing stuff. :)
who cares about anything other than the R engine? you don't have to pretend to be excited about run of the mill engines just because they're Hondas, 1 litres, wtf? :rotflmao:
karl wrote:who cares about anything other than the R engine? you don't have to pretend to be excited about run of the mill engines just because they're Hondas, 1 litres, wtf? :rotflmao:
That new Ford 1 litre ecoboost turbo is seriously impressive.
no it's not, it's a turbo engine with a specific output of 119bhp per litre, less than a n/a S2000, and on the road it's out of puff by 70mph, when it's diminutive capacity can't be masked with boost, imo, of course :salut:
karl wrote:no it's not, it's a turbo engine with a specific output of 119bhp per litre, less than a n/a S2000, and on the road it's out of puff by 70mph, when it's diminutive capacity can't be masked with boost, imo, of course :salut:
The 125PS engine is VERY good mate. Andy and I had a dabble with it at that Rockingham day, and honestly its a work of art for what it is.

Having driven it (in anger, plus being a passenger with Andy) its no slouch and isn't out of puff at 70mph.

The fact it'll also do over 65mpg and is free for road tax is an added bonus, and the reason these engines are so important for the market.

Anything that keeps money away from the DVLA is good in my book.
65mpg lol, that's the marketing spin, my brother in law struggles to get it above 36mpg in real world driving as you've to thrash the engine to its redline to get any performance, he's selling up for a TDi Octavia, which is faster and much more economical :salut:
karl wrote:65mpg lol, that's the marketing spin, my brother in law struggles to get it above 36mpg in real world driving as you've to thrash the engine to its redline to get any performance, he's selling up for a TDi Octavia, which is faster and much more economical :salut:
What Car recently tested one of the lower end models and got it to over 58mpg with ease. Not sure what your brother in law is doing. Just saying ;-)

The reality is these engines are the future for manufacturers. Even BMW and Mercedes are designing ultra small capacity engines. BMW even have a 2 cylinder in R&D at the moment.

Its something new and interesting. Just because you don''t find it interesting doesn't mean others agree with you on it.

The fact these are Honda turbo's in the article also makes it more interesting as they've only ever produced one other turbo before but never in Europe.
of course they're the future, they're the next mass produced boring car engine, hence the lack of enthusiasm for all but the R engine, jizzing over the rest is like fapping over a 4 pot derv from BMW/Mercedes/VW/Audi et al, they're just work horses, built to go from A to B, nothing to get excited over, imo, of course
integraleo wrote:1 litre turbo engines the future...........
Daihatsu charade gtti from 1980s.
99bhp fully forged engine capable of 150+bhp with mods.
New idea I think not.
And it was filthy as hell and did less than 20mpg. Your point?
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]