The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Reviews, News & rumours relating to all things Honda.
By EvoStu
WOW! How dull looking? :sad: Performance is undeniable though.

Volkswagen Golf R has been unleashed. It will be VW's fastest-ever hatch and the all-new four-wheel-drive Golf R will debut at next month’s Frankfurt Motor Show.

Its realease date will be early 2014 with its expected to start from less than £30,000.

he Golf R is powered by the EA888 2.0-litre TSI turbo petrol engine as used in the Golf GTI, but a new cylinder head, pistons and turbo have boosted power to 296bhp – 30bhp more than the old Golf R, and 69bhp more than a GTI with the Performance Package. Torque is up 30Nm to 380Nm, too – the same figure as the Golf GTD.

The clutch has been upraded n the Golf R, and buyers will get a choice of short-shift six-speed manual or six-speed DSG gearboxes. Manual models sprint from 0-62mph in 5.3 seconds, while the DSG cuts this to 4.9 seconds. Top speed is limited to 155mph.

Despite the increase in pace, fuel efficiency is up 18 per cent compared to the last Golf R, with the manual returning 39.8mpg and emitting 165g/km and the DSG 40.9mpg and 159g/km.

The Golf R uses VW’s latest Haldex 5 four-wheel drive system that can send almost 100 per cent of drive to the rear axle when required.

Like the GTI, the Golf R features XDS+ torque vectoring by braking, although it has been retuned to suit the four-wheel drive system, while, unlike any other Golf, the R’s stability control can be completely deactivated.

Opt for DCC chassis control and you get a new, stiffer Race mode for track driving. Like the GTI, the Golf R has progressive steering that reduces the amount of steering lock you need to apply. The R only needs 2.1 turns lock-to-lock, rather than 2.75 for a regular Golf.

The brakes have been upgraded, and feature 340mm front and 310mm rear discs, while the calipers are painted black and feature an R badge.

Three or five-door models are available on the new Golf R. All get special 18-inch alloys – 19-inch rims are optional – and retuned sports suspension that's 20mm lower than a standard Golf and 5mm lower than a GTI.

The Golf R also gets a unique bodykit, redesigned lights and quad exhausts. Buyers will have the choice of eight exterior colours, with the Lapis Blue Metallic in the pictures being made specially for the car.

The interior features sports seats upholstered in cloth and Alcantara, blue lighting and there are plenty of R badges scattered around the cabin. As it’s the range-topper, the Golf R gets the full suite of driver assistance systems as the regular Golf.
By Superman001
There's no denying on paper it sounds great with good performance figures but 30k for a souless 4 pot turbo :eek:
By yella
still never understood why VW killed the GTi brand like they did. Understood it when the R was a v6 lump etc, but not now.

Surprised they didn't go for the 7 speed DSG, Pretty impressive figures though, be mad not go DSG by looks of it.
By Omni
My mate has the last Golf R, and it is pretty epic to be fair

Whats the sh-t with Quad exhausts these days though, 4 is too many, fine if its a Ferrari or some other hyper car (hell even the Veyron only has 3...) but a VW Golf does not need 4 exhausts.
By yella
Omni wrote:My mate has the last Golf R, and it is pretty epic to be fair

Whats the sh-t with Quad exhausts these days though, 4 is too many, fine if its a Ferrari or some other hyper car (hell even the Veyron only has 3...) but a VW Golf does not need 4 exhausts.

i reckon VW want to turn R into M who have had 4 exhaust tips for donkeys now.
By yella
double post whhhhhhat
Last edited by yella on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Superman001
yella wrote:still never understood why VW killed the GTi brand like they did. Understood it when the R was a v6 lump etc, but not now.

Surprised they didn't go for the 7 speed DSG, Pretty impressive figures though, be mad not go DSG by looks of it.
Yeah its like they have watered down the GTI brand, at least the R32 had a nice sounding engine but now its just a Golf GTI with 4 motion and a more powerful version of the 2.0 lump.
By Mart
If you took the 'R' badge off it and said it was a 1.6 no one would think you're lying it's that dull
By J@mes
Looks like the new ugly golf that's been to exhaust uk for a tasteless exhaust system and halfords for some wolf race alloys.
By karl
the previous one was £39k+ when spec'd up decently, so will be interesting to hear how much this one is :salut:
By danneth
Cockpiss Analfist wrote:
Omni wrote:My mate has the last Golf R, and it is pretty epic to be fair.

Dat you danneth?

olwais had a sopht spot for these.
Loads of mates about today have a read about, I'm keeping quiet though... :lol:
By Stevo M81
The performance figures sound great and as yella said it would have to have the DSG box [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By bluntcap
Stevo M81 wrote:The performance figures sound great and as yella said it would have to have the DSG box [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
Get it bought Stevo :twisted:
By Mad-Dog
Could have so much better, why did they feel the need to steal the previous leon cupra-r lower bumper design is beyond me.

Bland fast hatch.......remind you of anything :think: :wink:
By dandemoraliser
karl wrote:the previous one was £39k+ when spec'd up decently, so will be interesting to hear how much this one is :salut:
agree if they can bring it in under 30k with some proper standard kit then good.

Don't give us a car though that you have to pay extra for carpets and bloody xenon/led headlights though

IT'S THE TOP MODEL IN THE RANGE, IT SHOULD BE STANDARD!
By Mart
Mad-Dog wrote:Could have so much better, why did they feel the need to steal the previous leon cupra-r lower bumper design is beyond me.

Bland fast hatch.......remind you of anything :think: :wink:
Yea all the other Golf's from at least the last decade :lol:
By Superman001
Andy-type r wrote:Performance plus that mpg, helps with the dullness. I say well done vw.
39mpg for the manual, BMW 135i 3.0 straight 6 turbo does 38mpg.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]