The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Reviews, News & rumours relating to all things Honda.
By kingofdbrits
Stevo M81 wrote:2015 seems like a bit of a wait for a new type r though :wink:
Yeah, everyone else will have their next gen cars out by then too so i hope they're not aiming at competing with todays cars.
By CTR_martin
And if Honda want the new type-r to be the quickest FF car to lap the ring:
it’ll have to beat the 8m08s lap set by the Renaultsport Megane RS Trophy last year.
:shouldbeinteresting:
By yella
My local library has started filing the autoexpress magazine under fiction section.

autoexpress should be renamed as auto assumption.
By Stevo M81
kingofdbrits wrote:
Yeah, everyone else will have their next gen cars out by then too so i hope they're not aiming at competing with todays cars.
By that stage many of us will have moved on from the CTR having to wait that long for another new one that more than likely wont be as quick as the rest of the competition :wink:
By kingofdbrits
Stevo M81 wrote:
kingofdbrits wrote:
By that stage many of us will have moved on from the CTR having to wait that long for another new one that more than likely wont be as quick as the rest of the competition :wink:
I already have. Bought my first Type r in '04 but by the time i needed something that can take a family and still be fun to drive Honda didn't have anything even close. Accord type r would have been worth a look, maybe an FD2 if it was sorted for UK roads.

It now looks like they're going to produce a £25k+ bonkers fast track car that no body who can afford one will want and those who will want one won't be able to afford.
I don't think people are that bothered about how fast a car can go round the 'ring? Are they? Well, unless it's a 2nd/trackday car.
By dandemoraliser
This new civic will not doubt be toying with the lower group now though, clio's / fiestas / mini's etc.

Unless they can do a 1.6 with 250bhp minimum to keep up with focus/astra. :think:
By kingofdbrits
dandemoraliser wrote:This new civic will not doubt be toying with the lower group now though, clio's / fiestas / mini's etc.

Unless they can do a 1.6 with 250bhp minimum to keep up with focus/astra. :think:
250bhp won't be enough by 2015, mountune will have a ford approved upgrade on the ST and with the new FRS rumoured to be 350-380bhp Hondas plans to be the fastest fwd car round the ring seem a bit lol.
Renault are already over 260 as are VW & Mazda so with everyone else having next gen cars being designed for 300bhp+ a 1.6 Honda will just get blown away.

Hope i'm proved wrong though.
By dandemoraliser
yeah no doubt i was noting that they'd stumped for a 1.6 rather than 2.0.

Seems they are limiting their progression which is happening by other cars previously in their class.
By kingofdbrits
Considering this CO2 thinggie is going away and there's only 1 Country stupid enough thats still persueing unobtainable goals (the UK) they're going in the wrong direction again. I get the need for eco-box's but that doesn't mean every car in it's fleet has to be eco-friendly.
BMW have the mix just right, they do eco-box's but also M-cars.

I'd like Honda to make just 1 balls-out car that could compete with what every other car maker on the planet is doing, the engineers at Honda must be so utterly frustrated when they see what the likes of Renault are allowed to do as Honda have proven they can do better, they're just not allowed.
By kingofdbrits
Jules wrote:Power wont mean the RS will be the fastest round the nurburgring necessarily.
Not on it's own, power won't do it, but a Radical isn't a particularly good car to dive when it's hailing or snowing and i agree with what James May says about the nurburgring, if it's good round the ring it'll be horrid to live with.
By dandemoraliser
kingofdbrits wrote:Considering this CO2 thinggie is going away and there's only 1 Country stupid enough thats still persueing unobtainable goals (the UK) they're going in the wrong direction again. I get the need for eco-box's but that doesn't mean every car in it's fleet has to be eco-friendly.
note M cars going smaller units and turbo'ed and this in the press yesterday for their "eco boxes".

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=26365
By EvoStu
I'm not sure that having a greater power output is relevant if they can keep the weight down.

Based on that press release they're not going for a volume seller, so my guess is that it may be a balls out car, and as said earlier, probably awful as a daily driver.
By J
probably awful as a daily driver.
So the sort of car I like to drive and sends shivers down my Mrs spine. :lol:
By EvoStu
J wrote:
probably awful as a daily driver.
So the sort of car I like to drive and sends shivers down my Mrs spine. :lol:
Yup. :lol:

Also the reason I don't use the civic as a daily driver with the little un now because she couldn't sleep in it due to the suspension.
By kingofdbrits
dandemoraliser wrote:
kingofdbrits wrote:Considering this CO2 thinggie is going away and there's only 1 Country stupid enough thats still persueing unobtainable goals (the UK) they're going in the wrong direction again. I get the need for eco-box's but that doesn't mean every car in it's fleet has to be eco-friendly.
note M cars going smaller units and turbo'ed and this in the press yesterday for their "eco boxes".

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=26365
I have read in interview with the lead M-car designer and he described the use of smaller blown units to keep weight down while power & torque go up, the old V10 was too heavy.

It is a bit sad that the engine in the link you posted will be put in hair dressers cars and is similar to the best Honda can do in it's hottest car. Rather they try to copy the 135i than a Mini.
By yella
Looks like Nurburgring FTW is the target,

Bold statement to make against the megane in my opinion. its going to take more than just grunt to make this happen, but nothing less then 250bhp and some pretty epic chassis dynamics will be needed, but also will this translate to the EDM version, as we never get the best ones here do we.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/defau ... ryId=26394

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]