The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Reviews, News & rumours relating to all things Honda.
I reckon it'll be a hybrid of some sort or feature some form of electrical assistance. There are organisations out there who are developing integrated electric superchargers which not only boost power, but they use motors to eliminate turbo lag lower in the rpm range. One system even has the ability to start the engine and act as an alternator so they also save a fair amount of weight. The best bit though - KERS. :twisted:
By EvoStu
skinnyman9000 wrote:Why are they aiming a 2015 car at a 2011 bench mark? Surely that'll be irrelevant by the time the civic arrives?

Price will be VERY important for them
Because they don't expect the time to change that much from its current record.
Que Renault to release a 300hp clio... :lol:

I hope they do break the record tbh. Its about time they injected some legitimate performance back into the type-r brand and stop just relying on it as a marketing tool.
By Mart
300bhp meaning it would surely have LSD and good brakes. I'm sold
skinnyman9000 wrote:Why are they aiming a 2015 car at a 2011 bench mark? Surely that'll be irrelevant by the time the civic arrives?
You can only use something that exists as a benchmark. :lol:
The fact they are going straight in with the fastest FWD car, and claiming their next car will be quicker than it is FTW
Pretty sure Renault would have used the old R26.R as the benchmark when their RS265 smashed it.
Evostance wrote:
*nub* wrote:lol how does rear wheel steering work anyway like how would i drive around corners and sh-t i dont even? :scratch:
I'd imagine it's a very tight turning circle :Lol:
refer back to the original prelude, that was rear steer as well, reduces oversteer, and as said benefits turning circle. :cool:

Guessing it won't be as pronounced as this though!

By Gozza
dandemoraliser wrote:
Evostance wrote:
*nub* wrote:lol how does rear wheel steering work anyway like how would i drive around corners and sh-t i dont even? :scratch:
I'd imagine it's a very tight turning circle :Lol:
refer back to the original prelude, that was rear steer as well, reduces oversteer, and as said benefits turning circle. :cool:

Guessing it won't be as pronounced as this though!

Two systems exist, hydraulic and electric. I've only worked on hydraulic rear steering systems and essentially it's for low speed manouverbility. As the vid shows the rears usually turn oppsite to the fronts. There is a division factor going on so, for example, the rears will turn at an angle of 50% of the total front steer angle, or in a PAS car a lot less, maybe 1-5%. At high speed >15-20mph the system either switches off and locks the wheels straight, or changes so that the rears turn with the fronts to aid lane changing (crabbing).

I think most PAS cars use an electric system. I know the skyline GTR's HICAS is an electric system that works at high speed. 300ZX's came with rear steer as well, but I don't know if it was the earlier hydraulic HICAS system, most 300ZX's I've seen have been deactivated and the wheels locked at a set toe angle.

Issues are that it increases rear tyre wear and is another system to go wrong. It requires a rear steering angle sensor, a rear steer ECU and careful calibration. The system I worked on required about a years worth of calibration and can be very dangerous if it goes wrong at high speed, therefore any issues with the system should put the vehicle in a limp home state.
By EvoStu
dandemoraliser wrote:
EvoStu wrote:I was there last night for this "chat". :lol:
:shouldbeinteresting: :crazy:
Journalists don't half extrapolate from things they've been told though. It just gets ridiculous when something meant as a passing comment is taken as gospel. It's like Chinese whispers at the moment.
EvoStu wrote:
dandemoraliser wrote:
Journalists don't half extrapolate from things they've been told though. It just gets ridiculous when something meant as a passing comment is taken as gospel. It's like Chinese whispers at the moment.
that surprises me, i wouldn't have taken you as a lover of Gospel. :eek:
By EvoStu
dandemoraliser wrote:
EvoStu wrote:
dandemoraliser wrote:
that surprises me, i wouldn't have taken you as a lover of Gospel. :eek:
Love it mate. Just like a blues brother. I haz seen the light.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]