The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Reviews, News & rumours relating to all things Honda.
By FireBIade2
Please don't ask for a stripped out track car. I want a hot hatch that has mod cons and is still fast, if you want a stripped car stip it yourself!
By EvoStu
smartie wrote:
dandemoraliser wrote:I'd be surprised if they use the 2 litre unit with the work on aluminium block for the 1.6 diesel and emissions etc. Obviously need to work on timing for laggyness etc. though with smaller capacity.

My only concern is they've gott hit appro 300hp otherwise its going down a group as said before and fighting with clio's rather than focus' etc.
Could potentially lighten it but then that would be the total opposite direction they took the FN2.
There's no reason they can't have both the luxury elements and high power and handling. The RS 265 Megane is hardly a featherweight at 1374Kg (dry weight) and has more toys on board than
the FN2 which has been weighed on Civinfo on a weighbridge (with a 10Kg error margin) at 1320kg with a full tank of fuel).

There is a fine line between what sells and what doesn't. How many hot hatches are stripped out?

There is also no reason it can't be reasonably high revving as they already have the K32A1 which revs to 7k under full load and thats not a high performance variant.

The issue is down to what they will have in terms of usable power. If they find out that the peak power is mid 5k's and the peak torque is low 3k's like the Megane its pointless going for a turbo with a high revving vtec unit as it will only increase the emissions.

Having driven a few charged K20's and also the latest turbo unit from TDI, I can honestly say its a great experience having the available power in the turbo. Yes you could argue the purity from the NA engine is killed off but everything else is so much better, plus you still have the Honda noise.
By EvoStu
smartie wrote:Never mentioned stripped out. :smile: Just that it doesn't necessarily have to have 300 bhp.
My guess is in the region of 270(ish).
By EvoStu
djtopa wrote:A lot of fans dont like turbo route but Honda must do it but if they loose VTEC kick and sound of that+ hi revs its going be as any other hot HB now.IMO Honda has huge fan numbers becouse of VTEC and they better dont loose them.There will be always faster cars...
VTEC won't die, it will just evolve into something else. The VTEC "kick" or loss of power as its commonly known is engineered in remember, and all those people running Hondata don't have it as the changeover is smoothed out, but they don't complain.
By bluntcap
But when you look at it properly VTEC is kinda :sleeping:

Ok it's fun when you 1st get a Type R but soon you are waiting for VTEC to kick in Y0! Here it comes.......here it comes.......here it comes........ :roll:

So if Honda deliver a turbo unit minus the VTEC I personally don't see the car losing anything. As long as the car handles as well as the previous car's then it makes the extra power on offer even more accessible and liveable being a turbo.
By Stevo M81
bluntcap wrote:But when you look at it properly VTEC is kinda :sleeping:

Ok it's fun when you 1st get a Type R but soon you are waiting for VTEC to kick in Y0! Here it comes.......here it comes.......here it comes........ :roll:

So if Honda deliver a turbo unit minus the VTEC I personally don't see the car losing anything. As long as the car handles as well as the previous car's then it makes the extra power on offer even more accessible and liveable being a turbo.
+1 I tend to agree. A turbo type r will be better as it will have usable power where you need it on day to day driving.
By EvoStu
djtopa wrote:You dont have to wait just change the gears right:-)
So no lightweight no real VTEC.Thats not Type R I would like:)
What do you mean no lightweight? Are you saying the EP3 was lightweight? :rotflmao:
By yella
EvoStu wrote:
What do you mean no lightweight? Are you saying the EP3 was lightweight? :rotflmao:
comparatively it was
By EvoStu
yella wrote:
EvoStu wrote:
comparatively it was
To what exactly?

Its rivals at the time of launch.

Ford Focus ST 170: 1260kg (Kerb Weight)
Vauxhall Astra GSI: 1272kg (Kerb Weight)
Clio 172: 1110kg (dry weight)
Civic EP3 (Kerb weight [non AC version]): 1246Kg

So its hardly a featherweight itself.

The hot hatch class has always been mighty close in the weight stakes mainly due to the increased safety kit that the new cars have to carry.
By bluntcap
Well you do have to wait as VTEC is so high up the rev range. Turbo spool at lower rpms means an easier day to day car to live with.
By pulpmelon_r
bluntcap wrote:
Well you do have to wait as VTEC is so high up the rev range. Turbo spool at lower rpms means an easier day to day car to live with.
I hear the new R is getting t-tec, with an extra 3psi at 6000 rpm to complete the ethos
By EvoStu
Jules wrote:Weight is very important to me when purchasing a car.
Near the top of the list for me, right next to how many airbags it doesn't have.
By Jules
pulpmelon_r wrote:
Jules wrote:Weight is very important to me when chatting up scuttlers.
:think:
This is now true, though more to do with their friends weight.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]