The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Reviews, News & rumours relating to all things Honda.
By yella
either way, we all know that the next type R is just going to be like the new megane, whcih is like the new ST which is like the new VXR whch is like the new Gol f Gti which is like the new Cupra , whcih is like the new Corsa VXr which is liek the new BMW 125i............and so on, a turbo 4 pot whether it be in 1.6 or 2.0 guise. It will have good emissions and it will have great MPG figures as well as massive torque etc etc. Nice and all that.

but will it be as involving to drive as an NA k20, of course not, face it the days of Vtec and NA motors are gone, its all over.

If i could put up with my Ep3 daily i would but i know i will be replacing mine with a Championship edition FN2 in the new year as thats the last of the K20 equipped good cars.

We always talk on this site about Ek9 being rawer and better than EP3 and that being better than the fat FN2 and then the DC2 being better than all those combined but we forgot about the FD2, etc etc however in 2014 when this new civic type R hits our sures it truly will be the odd one out, Type R is the above all put together, an NA engine of modest outputs with a characterful nature. I'm fine with that and i can honestly say i doubt i will buy one as my choice will be larger and i could go for any of the other hothatches with the same ingredients already.

Anyone who owns a Type R now what ever model designation it is, has to agree that 80% of the attraction to the car is the engine. If Honda fail to relaise that ( which i think they do) then they will have to make up for it in another way. i believe the tripe about a Nurburgring time was part of this strategy. However i think that may backfire as if you go an have a drive in a Megane R26.r you will realise how amazing that car drives, the civic is a long way from that let alone the new Megaine RS which is in another league when compared to the R26r and 11 seconds quicker. Honda really do not have a hope in hells chance of achieving this , especially as the first of the modded Meganes is expected out next year as we could be seeing an RB model and i would hazard a guess at a Megane being first through the 8 minute barrier.

When you look at that Rs265 time you realise that its 2 seconds faster than an NSX-R,31 seconds faster than a standard NSX and 32 seconds faster than an S2000 and even more telling is 40 seconds faster than an Ep3. So you tell me how Honda expects to trump that in one fowl swoop, the scary thing is bar race cars Honda have never had any of their cars including sportscar and supercars beat it. so i think they should shut up now with the silly stories, develop the car then show us what it can do,
By Gozza
dandemoraliser wrote:didn't renault/citroen have a "passive" less invasive/obvious version on one of their cars a while ago?

Keep thinking megane coupe :scratch:
Not sure mate, the only passive systems I am aware of are through the use of toe control bushings on a twist beam rear suspension, a Watts link on a live axle setup or just by altering the rubber bushes on a multi link setup. I think most cars have some passive compliance engineered in but it's not really recognised, or touted, as 'rear steer' as such.
EvoStu wrote:
dandemoraliser wrote:
EvoStu wrote:I was there last night for this "chat". :lol:
:shouldbeinteresting: :crazy:
Journalists don't half extrapolate from things they've been told though. It just gets ridiculous when something meant as a passing comment is taken as gospel. It's like Chinese whispers at the moment.
Tell me about it, I've seen some outrageous comments journo's have made about a vehicle I worked on. Just because an ex-Ralliart employee worked on it, suddenly it contains 'rally technology taken from the current cars' :lol:.
By Mart
yella wrote:When you look at that Rs265 time you realise that its 2 seconds faster than an NSX-R,31 seconds faster than a standard NSX and 32 seconds faster than an S2000 and even more telling is 40 seconds faster than an Ep3. So you tell me how Honda expects to trump that in one fowl swoop, the scary thing is bar race cars Honda have never had any of their cars including sportscar and supercars beat it. so i think they should shut up now with the silly stories, develop the car then show us what it can do,
1 second faster than the NA1 NSX which is 20yr old.
10 seconds slower than the NA2 NSX which is still a 10yr old car

7:56.73 Honda NSX-R (NA2)
8:07.97 Renault Megane RS Trophy
8:09 Honda NSX-R
:lol:
By Just Dirk
EvoStu wrote:
dandemoraliser wrote:
EvoStu wrote:I was there last night for this "chat". :lol:
:shouldbeinteresting: :crazy:
Journalists don't half extrapolate from things they've been told though. It just gets ridiculous when something meant as a passing comment is taken as gospel. It's like Chinese whispers at the moment.
There you have it people, Stu headed the press conference and has ok'd the rear wheel steer version :)
By EvoStu
yella wrote:still setting themselves up for a fail with that ring time
So you're saying its not possible to beat the time set by Renault?
By yella
EvoStu wrote:
yella wrote:still setting themselves up for a fail with that ring time
So you're saying its not possible to beat the time set by Renault?
no i'm not saying the record is not breakable, but i am saying it won;t be broken by honda yes. Because Renault will be beating it themselves by then. They want the 8min record and the last attempt still had a few seconds in it.

Also because so many other people have said they were going for the record, ie mini with the latest GP Failed, OPC with the Astra FAILED and Now Honda.

8min7 is still bloody quick in fwd
I'd be surprised if they use the 2 litre unit with the work on aluminium block for the 1.6 diesel and emissions etc. Obviously need to work on timing for laggyness etc. though with smaller capacity.

My only concern is they've gott hit appro 300hp otherwise its going down a group as said before and fighting with clio's rather than focus' etc.
By bluntcap
Honda has confirmed that the car will have between 265 and 300bhp, suggesting power for the new Civic Type R will come from a turbocharged 2.0-litre engine.

If this happens I shall be impressed.
By smartie
dandemoraliser wrote:I'd be surprised if they use the 2 litre unit with the work on aluminium block for the 1.6 diesel and emissions etc. Obviously need to work on timing for laggyness etc. though with smaller capacity.

My only concern is they've gott hit appro 300hp otherwise its going down a group as said before and fighting with clio's rather than focus' etc.
Could potentially lighten it but then that would be the total opposite direction they took the FN2.
Aspiration doesn't really bother me, Turbo is going to take better to a remap etc.

I just hope hope hope that its got a circa 9000rpm Rev limit and a proper vtec system and it makes a good noise and weighs under 1350kg. To me Type R's are about a raw driving experience. I hope they dont lose that.

Im holding out for the new model, my EP3 still has a good few years left in it.

As Yella said, i just want them to bloody get on with it and stop spouting all this 'ring crap to try impress people.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]