The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Reviews, News & rumours relating to all things Honda.
By danneth
Grov24 wrote:
danneth wrote:
Grov24 wrote:If the new Focus RS is totally awesome, and doesn't limit power in early gears, and sounds as good as the Mk2, and doesn't wheelspin and is much quicker than the Mk2 ill come back to this thread and talk my usual balldocks based on youtube and/or assumption.
:salut:
So it doesn't wheelspin? and FWD is perfect for 300bhp+?

I have no doubt if you want to get it to wheelspin then yes it will do, i dont see your point??

i have already showed you the 400bhp jamsport FRS with hardly any spin at all or did you forget this, is FWD perfect with 300bhp in the right setup yes why wouldn't it be...
By jask20
still prefer a ariel atom. looks better, cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and more reliable ohh and you cant use either of them in the wet :wink:
By EvoStu
jask20 wrote:still prefer a ariel atom. looks better, cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and more reliable ohh and you cant use either of them in the wet :wink:
How can you compare a Focus RS to an Atom? :lol:
By kingofdbrits
Interestingly the new FST uses Mazda's MZR tech, now the new Focus RS will be using a 2.3l engine to generate the rumoured 350bhp.
This wasn't talked about, but the more likely option is a 2.3-litre version of the Ecoboost rumoured to be under development in the States and capable of around 350hp. What is 99 per cent certain is that the next RS will be a five-door only, for the very good reason Ford hasn't got a three-door version of this generation Focus.
Similar to rumours of the Mk3 MPS, 5 doors, 2.3l, well over 300bhp. Sounds like they'll be just about the same car.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... generation
By dbwinter
V-TEC wrote:Will it be as good as a Mondeo Titanium x Sport though? thats the question. :shouldbeinteresting:
Hmmmm.

I never said that the Mondeo TXS 2.2 TDCi was as good as a Focus RS mk2 did I?

In fact quite the opposite and in practice, the characterless diesel engine has worn me down.

The Focus RS mk2 was the only sub £25k car on the market today that would and has persuaded me to change.

I have owned one for 1 month and it is quite different to the Mondeo TXS in many ways.

However, top kudos to the Mondeo TXS - it is a high quality, brilliantly rounded drivers car but was never going to satisfy a petrol head with a diesel engine. Diesels give good MPG and can be quite quick but it could have had 350 BHP but it would still be a characterless diesel.

I've gone from 41.6MPG to 29.2MPG but with one, if not the most characterful engine ever placed in a hot hatch, it certainly has more smiles per gallon. :WOOT
By dbwinter
danneth wrote:You finally got something decent?
The Mondeo TXS was great. If the Focus RS mk2 didn't exist I wouldn't have changed for a few years.

The RS mk2 is outstanding but I can see that it isn't for everyone. Its suspension is pretty firm for one - great for most people on here but again, it is an acquired taste.
By danneth
dbwinter wrote:
The Mondeo TXS was great. If the Focus RS mk2 didn't exist I wouldn't have changed for a few years.

The RS mk2 is outstanding but I can see that it isn't for everyone. Its suspension is pretty firm for one - great for most people on here but again, it is an acquired taste.
I drove my friends quite often when they first came out, loved everything about it and really wanted one, just wasn't prepared to finance money for one :lol:
By dbwinter
danneth wrote:
dbwinter wrote:

I drove my friends quite often when they first came out, loved everything about it and really wanted one, just wasn't prepared to finance money for one :lol:
No car is worth getting finance for - a depreciating asset with finance sounds like a recipe for disaster.
By dbwinter
sammo303 wrote:What's the steering setup on the Focus RS like?
Very good (hydraulic set up) but its not as good as the Mondeo in this respect.
By Grov24
dbwinter wrote:
:lol:

What colour?

I like them Mondeo Titanuim X's, love the interior, and there nippy enough for a diesel, i just don't need a car that big lol.
By dbwinter
Grov24 wrote:
dbwinter wrote:

What colour?

I like them Mondeo Titanuim X's, love the interior, and there nippy enough for a diesel, i just don't need a car that big lol.
The Mondeo TXS that I sold is Panther Black - it had ever option box ticked including sat nav and the DVD multimedia/LCD screen pack.

The Focus RS mk2 that we purchased is Ultimate Green - there wasn't very much to discuss with this one as both my wife and I preferred the colour that sets out its original intention.
By Jtizzle
Best colour dbwinter [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

As for the steering have you tried the other options? The sport mode really weightens it up nicely. Feels mega different to the standard setting.

Also you stock? Needs a map to bring it to life :twisted:
By smartie
dbwinter wrote:
Grov24 wrote:
dbwinter wrote:

What colour?

The Mondeo TXS that I sold is Panther Black - it had ever option box ticked including sat nav and the DVD multimedia/LCD screen pack.

The Focus RS mk2 that we purchased is Ultimate Green - there wasn't very much to discuss with this one as both my wife and I preferred the colour that sets out its original intention.
Why did you downgrade?
By dbwinter
Jtizzle wrote:Best colour dbwinter [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

As for the steering have you tried the other options? The sport mode really weightens it up nicely. Feels mega different to the standard setting.

Also you stock? Needs a map to bring it to life :twisted:
It was set up on sports from when we picked it up from the dealer and it is pretty weighty. Having tried the 3 steering settings, we have settled for the normal as it seems to be the most natural.

I am an option whore, so it came with everything (Lux packs 1 and 2), USB/Bluetooth and the leather seat upgrade - it is completely standard and it took a little bit of time to find the right one.

Coming from the Mondeo TXS, which had the same touchscreen sat nav fitted, there is one major issue with the RS - the sound quality is not is the same ball park, so will upgrade these with some Focals at Christmas time. The interior is also not in the same league but hey, you can't have everything!

How are you finding the RS?
By dbwinter
smartie wrote:
dbwinter wrote:
Grov24 wrote:
dbwinter wrote:

What colour?

Why did you downgrade?
Its not really an upgrade or downgrade as both of them have achieved excellent reviews but we thought long and hard about what the future entails. We have one 10 month old at the moment, the future fun practical cars will neither be high revving, 5 cylinder or otherwise - cars are becoming centralised around being greener, losing character and driver satisfaction (steering feel - ref new Focus ST has electric steering). You only live once and as we are fortunate enough to purchase without finance, the RS is a low depreciating asset that will cost a similar amount to run as the Mondeo TXS over 3 years.

Whilst the Focus RS mk2 (especially in Ultimate Green) may look as mad as a hatter, it is actually a sensible choice.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]