The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a speeding ticket? We have Police Officers on the forum who can provide advice.
By Lewisgame
Welshy81 wrote:So what if a car has been taken by a male person for arguments sake and the vehicle is also registered to a male, this approach clearly wouldn't work!!!
Well obviously not. But you'd think the car would of been reported stolen and that'll flash up.
If the car has yet to be reported then there's no hope really. The police don't have time to pull over every car and check ownership and all other legalities. They'll pick up things like if the sex of the driver matches the name of ownership, suspicious driving or any other slip up.
By EvoStu
TypeRorS3 wrote:Just spoken to my insurer and they have verified that I am able to drive other cars 3rd party.
That does not and has never meant ALL cars. :wink:
By baddohc
Well the first issue is it being a bmw. That's why you got stopped, they are getting stolen daily due to the security flaw in them that enables criminals to plug in a key copier to the obd port and steal it. These cars are glowing red at the moment in the Midlands. My brothers e90 saloon was stolen like this and fortunately police stopped two guys in it randomly as it was stolen at night and not noticed that it wS gone from the drive.
By mc36155
Wasn't bmw on watchdog for this security issue a month or so back. Again it was mentioned that bmw had said that they fixed the issue for cars built after year x but the watchdog expert still managed to break into it and drive it in minutes.. Also I don't think bmw actually told all owners of the affected vehicles of the issue even after watchdogs first findings a few years earlier... Think it was bmw.. Might be wrong..
By Omni
The problem is the EU (stick with me on this) because manufacturers would like nothing more than to lock up their diagnostic ports tighter than a ducks arse and have you go back to them for all work you want carried out, but the good ol EU says oh no you can't do that, you must leave it wide open so that independent garages can access them and customers aren't forced to use main dealers. The downside of their meddling is that not only can independent garages access your cars ECU/immobiliser and program their own keys, so can just about anybody with a £10 box off of eBay.

The issue with BMW's was that key blanks could be reprogrammed without an original key present, that's changed now so to 'cut' a new key you need a working original key, so you're back to the risk of them breaking into your house to get it, which is a risk with ALL cars.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]