The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a speeding ticket? We have Police Officers on the forum who can provide advice.
By AdamB92
Hi everyone,

So basically a neighbour of mine reversed into my car this morning, car was parked and I wasn't even in it. She's happy to admit liability but I really don't want to go through the insurance as the rear quarter corner just under the rear light where the rear quarter ends has been bent inwords. I know insurance companies get funny as soon as you say about any damage to the rear quarter on cars and they want to write it off straight away which I really don't want.

Now question I have is, if she goes through her insurance admits liability and her insurance deal with my car, will they then get in contact with my insurance company? I guess they would as there is probably some legal stuff behind it, I just hope I don't get penalised when it comes to renewal? Reason I ask is that I've previously had another incident where I was hit and the rear quarter was damaged (dented) and even though it wasn't my fault for the accident my insurance premium still rocketed, I just don't see how this is fair through a non-fault incident.
Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks
Adam
By *nub*
AdamB92 wrote:Hi everyone,

So basically a neighbour of mine reversed into my car this morning, car was parked and I wasn't even in it. She's happy to admit liability but I really don't want to go through the insurance as the rear quarter corner just under the rear light where the rear quarter ends has been bent inwords. I know insurance companies get funny as soon as you say about any damage to the rear quarter on cars and they want to write it off straight away which I really don't want.

Now question I have is, if she goes through her insurance admits liability and her insurance deal with my car, will they then get in contact with my insurance company? I guess they would as there is probably some legal stuff behind it, I just hope I don't get penalised when it comes to renewal? Reason I ask is that I've previously had another incident where I was hit and the rear quarter was damaged (dented) and even though it wasn't my fault for the accident my insurance premium still rocketed, I just don't see how this is fair through a non-fault incident.
Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks
Adam
similar thing happened to me, very low speed like 1mph you could hardly define it as a "collision" but scraped a number of panels resulting including rear quarter resulting in over £2300 damage (well that was Honda quote lol). I spoke to the womans insurance and they gave me the option to use my own, but I declined and asked if they would be informing my insurance and as far as I remember they said it wasn't necessary to. Everything went through fine including courtesy car etc and this was years ago. and remember they can't force you to go through an approved bodywork repair place or whatever, you can go where you want
By AdamB92
Oh really, jeez well I best make sure I'm sat down when Honda give me the quote for this then

That sounds promising mate, one of the problems I have and I feel like im in a catch 22 situation is that she is only prepared to pay £200 for the repair because her insurance excess is only £150 thinking she can get my car and her car done for that excess price, however I don't want to be lumbered with a crap repair job and have to keep taking the car back and fourth till I'm satisfied with the result.
By *nub*
£200 doesnt go anywhere if respraying needs to be done. just go through he insurance and let her pay the excess.
By Jaymon
Go through your insurers!!!! Youll only regret it if the wench tuns around and fails to pay when the bill turns up and decides to change her mind. Take pics of her car and yours for reference!
By AdamB92
I'm going to get some quotes today, then I guess she'll be in contact with her insurers as she won't be willing to pay the quoted price no doubt, like nub said £200 she's willing to pay will probably just about cover the respray of the bumper. I'm just worried about getting penalised come renewal time even though I had no involvment with it what so ever.
By Jaymon
AdamB92 wrote:I'm going to get some quotes today, then I guess she'll be in contact with her insurers as she won't be willing to pay the quoted price no doubt, like nub said £200 she's willing to pay will probably just about cover the respray of the bumper. I'm just worried about getting penalised come renewal time even though I had no involvment with it what so ever.

I had a NFC myseld last year and it didnt effect my renewal, claim was around £700. You should inform your insurer as well and let them know what has happened and that its going through the other parties insurance. She'll soon think again when she see's the quote from Honda!
By jtc
She's obviously a crap driver.

Insurance is there to pay for this kind of stuff. Plus, having it recorded against her will mean that next time she does it, and that person claims, her premiums go up a bit more. Eventually she'll be too poor to drive, will sell her car and use the bus. One less idiot on the road ... :lol:

:shouldbeinteresting: :salut:
By Lewisgame
If it hasn't damaged the paint and you can get behind the dent. They might be able to push it out.
I doubt they'll write the car off. Type R ethos has made the Civic still worth a few quid.
Go through the insurance. If she's admitting liability then it should be fairly straight forward.
By *nub*
If you you claim through your own insurance it WILL increase premiums. Do what I said in first post IMO.
By b0t13
its only a non-fault claim if your in the car

so if she hit the car whilst it was parked then itll have no difference on your insurance as its not an accident if you wasnt there ;)
By AdamB92
Thanks for all your replies, I'm still waiting on a couple of quotes to come back to me including that from Honda, although my local Honda don't have a bodyshop at the moment they refered me to a local acident repair centre which is Honda approved.
I'm going to get her insurance and give them a call and try do it direct seeing as I wasn't in or around the vehicle at the time and hopefully it will be settled that way.

I have had a quote from another Honda approved centre and somewhere that I consider well worth going and they quoted me £1200 for the repair. So it will deffinately be going through insurance now, just can't wait to see their faces when I put the quote forward :-D
By *nub*
AdamB92 wrote:Thanks for all your replies, I'm still waiting on a couple of quotes to come back to me including that from Honda, although my local Honda don't have a bodyshop at the moment they refered me to a local acident repair centre which is Honda approved.
I'm going to get her insurance and give them a call and try do it direct seeing as I wasn't in or around the vehicle at the time and hopefully it will be settled that way.

I have had a quote from another Honda approved centre and somewhere that I consider well worth going and they quoted me £1200 for the repair. So it will deffinately be going through insurance now, just can't wait to see their faces when I put the quote forward :-D
haha £1200, I thought it would be higher than expected. Mine didn't look like £2300 either but of course I could get cheaper elsewhere and most importantly they knew it was a non fault claim for me so I don't give a flip about the price. but why should I not used Honda approved and get the door and everything blended in nicely? :smile: also what you can't see in the image is a scuff on the rear bumper and price includes refurbing an alloy which I didnt bother with

By JE_CTR
Did you claim via your own insurance for the first one? Reason I ask is if they paid for your repairs and tried to recover and they didn't get it closed in time for your renewal then that would effect your claims history. What I mean is all claims regardless of fault or not are considered fault claims until the money is recovered from the fault insurer(purely from an underwriting view). If you go through her insurance they won't need to inform your insurance, I think though it's in the terms of insurance that you report any accident (for notification only) so my advice would be to report it. In your case you would be making them aware that a non fault claim has occurred, it covers you say for instance if you don't agree with her engineer or she later denys fault. I work for an insurance broker in the claims department and you wouldn't believe how many claims are turned down for late notification!!!! If you need any advice drop me a message.
By JE_CTR
b0t13 wrote:its only a non-fault claim if your in the car

so if she hit the car whilst it was parked then itll have no difference on your insurance as its not an accident if you wasnt there ;)
Not true
By AdamB92
That wasn't even from Honda direct, I'm still waiting for that quote to come through. I know exactly what your saying, I also went to an independent sprayer today who only quoted £250 + VAT, although their work isn't bad, taking it to a Honda approved centre clearly has its advantages and warrants the extra cost knowing that it's going to be tip top when it comes back to you.
Yours really don't look that bad at all Nub, from your reciept though they decided to replace the quarter panel? Was there many dents in it then? Seems quite un-justifiable for the sake of some scratches unless they found it had been considerably weakened.

@JE_CTR
I never claimed on the first one (previous vehicle quite a few years ago) although I did notify the insurance with what happened, they sent an engineer out to assess the damage and decided they wanted to write the car off, but at the time it was my only car and hard up for cash so I wanted to keep it, they still classed it as a cat C though if I remember correctly.
So if I do notify my insurance company I am then liable to pay my own excess as well which will leave me out of pocket until the situation is resolved I take it.
I will be getting the remaining quotations back tomorrow for the work, I will then contact her insurance company and also mine just to inform them with the proceedings, but hopefully they won't take any action against me as I don't feel its fair I get penalised.

Appreciate the help, and if I think of any questions I'll drop you a message mate :)
By *nub*
lol up to you but if you listen to me then don't make the mistake of informing them! it's only cosmetic damage, some respray and fitting panels and you're done, I think it's unlikely there will be any problems beyond that. my rear quarter did need replacing... now i'm thinking I should have asked them to blend the roof as well :smile:
By b0t13
I meant non fault accident, claims and accidents are two different things so at least you won't have to declare it in the future as it's not a driving accident, like said above though they might drag it out and if near renewal it might cause issues

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]