The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a speeding ticket? We have Police Officers on the forum who can provide advice.
By Eric_Sn@il
b0t13 wrote:its only a non-fault claim if your in the car

so if she hit the car whilst it was parked then itll have no difference on your insurance as its not an accident if you wasnt there ;)
Wrong, made a 33% difference to my premium (increase) between declaring and un-declaring a non-fault claim.
By AdamB92
Well I've been to her insurance company now and they are happy to deal with the repairs no matter the cost so thats good news :) Just need to wait now for the broker to get in contact about booking in for the repairs.
By b0t13
Eric_Sn@il wrote:
b0t13 wrote:its only a non-fault claim if your in the car

so if she hit the car whilst it was parked then itll have no difference on your insurance as its not an accident if you wasnt there ;)
Wrong, made a 33% difference to my premium (increase) between declaring and un-declaring a non-fault claim.
ok key words here...

ACCIDENT
CLAIM

both are different things, an accident involves you in the car and someone hitting you etc..

a claim is anything and also covers accidents, if they ask if youve had a NON-FAULT-ACCIDENT, you havent...
By Eric_Sn@il
My thoughts too. So didnt say anything when quoting. But when I went to take the policy out they checked a database (not sure what he called it) and he could see there was a claim/accident logged against me. Regardless off fault it still had to be notified to them. And that put my premium up.

Try it online. Get a quote on anything. Then add a non fault claim of less than 500 quid. Makes a huge difference
By AdamB92
Eric_Sn@il wrote:My thoughts too. So didnt say anything when quoting. But when I went to take the policy out they checked a database (not sure what he called it) and he could see there was a claim/accident logged against me. Regardless off fault it still had to be notified to them. And that put my premium up.

Try it online. Get a quote on anything. Then add a non fault claim of less than 500 quid. Makes a huge difference
That's exactly the problem I had before, I only notified my insurance company of the incident, no monies were ever sent/given to me for the repair of my car and no claim was ever made it just just notification and the premium still went up. This was around 3 years ago or so now, I think it gets dropped after 3 years I believe or may be 5 years depending on the insurance company.
By sa08
A guy reversed into my car over a year ago and did a runner (left his car, took the keys and ran off!) whilst I was on the phone to the police telling them I believed he had been drinking. As I had my kids in the car, I couldn't go after him. Police told me to tell my insurers which I did. They eventually caught the guy a couple of days later. He apologised and accepted full responsibility but the police could not charge him with driving whilst under the influence of alcohol. I asked my insurers if my premium would go up and they said not if ALL costs were recovered from the other party. As he wasn't even insured, I expected the worst but he actually came good and paid for all the costs including the cost of the E-class Merc I had as my courtesy car for 2 weeks. I checked with my insurers to make sure all was good a month after they had been paid and they confirmed all was okay. No increase to my premium upon renewal earlier this year. :salut:

I actually liaised with the other guy (via the police) during my car repair and asked my insurer to give me the full details of all their costs in writing - which they did. I then forwarded this to the guy along with details of my excess and a day's loss of earnings. He agreed to pay the full amount the following day.

I guess that as long as your insurer recovers all their costs (plus their admin costs), you should not receive an increase to your premium. It makes sense as when obtaining insurance quotes, you are asked how much the cost of the claim was and whether all costs were recovered.
By JE_CTR
sa08 wrote:A guy reversed into my car over a year ago and did a runner (left his car, took the keys and ran off!) whilst I was on the phone to the police telling them I believed he had been drinking. As I had my kids in the car, I couldn't go after him. Police told me to tell my insurers which I did. They eventually caught the guy a couple of days later. He apologised and accepted full responsibility but the police could not charge him with driving whilst under the influence of alcohol. I asked my insurers if my premium would go up and they said not if ALL costs were recovered from the other party. As he wasn't even insured, I expected the worst but he actually came good and paid for all the costs including the cost of the E-class Merc I had as my courtesy car for 2 weeks. I checked with my insurers to make sure all was good a month after they had been paid and they confirmed all was okay. No increase to my premium upon renewal earlier this year. :salut:

I actually liaised with the other guy (via the police) during my car repair and asked my insurer to give me the full details of all their costs in writing - which they did. I then forwarded this to the guy along with details of my excess and a day's loss of earnings. He agreed to pay the full amount the following day.

I guess that as long as your insurer recovers all their costs (plus their admin costs), you should not receive an increase to your premium. It makes sense as when obtaining insurance quotes, you are asked how much the cost of the claim was and whether all costs were recovered.
This is 100% correct
By mtailor
I had to make a claim 2 years ago to this day. The car was written off. It was deemed as a fault claim, as I didn't have anyone to claim against. To cut a long story short, flood damage when the river burst its banks.

My following years premium was actually the same as the previous year. I phoned around some of the brokers from here and got it down even further.

Sometimes even when you claim, it doesn't affect you by that much, if any at all.

I didn't want to go through the insurance for the same reason of .... My insurance premium will go up, but sometimes it's the most cost effective route. Either the OP is going to be out of pocket by £1000 as the third party only wants to pay £250. Or you let the insurance company deal with it. You will have to declare it, as it will appear on the database.
By parsimony
It comes down to statistics which show, unfortunately, that someone involved in an "event", regardless of fault, is more likely to be involved in another in the near future than someone with a clean history.
It increases your risk profile so may increase your premium depending on insurer.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]