The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a speeding ticket? We have Police Officers on the forum who can provide advice.
By galps
Right, I'm after a bit of advice.

First of all, i know this is no excuse for speeding. im not trying to get out of the fact that I was going too fast, but more about the principles.

Was travelling through a small village with 30mph speed restriction. The village sits on quite a steep bank, the kind of one that you gain around 10mph from top to bottom of the bank without even touching the accelerator.

Anyway, as I came over the top of the brow of the bank, down the hil,l i saw a guy in black with a tripod facing back up the road. It was the kind of tripod that the surveyors use (but black instead of yellow). I didnt think anything of it but as i got about 20 ft away i noticed a small speed camera sign at the bottom of the tripod.

ALot of villages in the area have the "speed awareness comminity" flourescent signs on entry to the village, but no sign of any van?

I knew that i was going too fast (camera clocked me at 37).

It was only a few hours later when i drove back up the hill, at the bottom, on a turn off, i saw the van. The van was not visable from the top of the hill, untill you have gone past the tripod camera, and looked over your shoulder, back down the road.

Now, as mentioned before, I'm not trying to get out of the fact that i was speeding. I have been offered the place on a speed awareness course and a £80 fine (which pays for the course), but surely a little tripod and tiny sign isnt sufficient signage??

Cheers
By Omni
There is no legal requirement for there to be any signage, they were just ACP guidelines which forces had to comply with if they wanted to keep the revenue. Since all revenue now goes to the treasure anyway I doubt they give too much of a crap.

They can wrap them up in camouflage and hide them in bushes if they so desire.

Good job you're not trying to get out of the fact you were speeding cos this would be a non starter :wink:
By PH47MF
In where I come from, you won’t see any speed cameras sign or any obvious yellow fluorescent camera box with lines on the road sort of thing to warn you, I think UK is pretty lenient in that respect.
By galps
Thanks for the replies.

Seems fair enough. I have never seen them before like that, so was more of an enquiry.
I've only ever need the yellow boxes or the vans with the big white and black speed camera on the side.

Someone told me taht you can go online and find the picture??? dont know if thats true either?

Will have to see how the course goes. Ive head that they are actually pretty informative.

Cheers

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]