The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a speeding ticket? We have Police Officers on the forum who can provide advice.
By TyJohnsonR
I purchased a 2007 FN2 Type R from a garage 2 hours away a week ago. It came with a years MOT, warranty, tax and service from the day I purchased it. Apparently no work needed doing...

Today I was doing 60 with my little brother and sister in the car on a dual carriageway and a car slammed his brakes on for no reason so I proceeded to slam mine on....little did I know the front brakes appeared to be pretty much non existent at mid/high speeds. I had to almost reach for the handbrake just to stop as I didn't think I'd actually stop!

I've taken it to 3 separate garages and all 3 have said they need changing as they are below the minimum requirements.

I just want to know where I stand from a legal prospective with regards to demanding that the garage change them for me? Or as it's a long drive if they should send me relevant funds to get them done my self. I've emailed the guilty party in a polite but slightly pissed off manor asking what they intend to do about it and how could their mechanics not pick up on the non visible front pads if you look through the alloy...

Please help...
They should have sold it to you in a safe condition. I'd get in touch with the garage you had it off and tell them you want them changed (it will most likely be through them, rather than them sending you funds). If they refuse, get in touch with Trading Standards, you would have a case as the car could potentially have caused harm.
By t100ypr
Tbh this is more like peeing into the wind you just don't know if they will cough up and do it, the warranty won't cover brake wear, as it can be caused after point of purchase, in not too much time in a performance car. If the discs are well worn below safe level that's where you stand a chance. Good luck pal
By TyJohnsonR
Thanks guys.

The dealer responded saying he will have a word with the service manager and get back to me. If they do nothing, I will seek legal advice. I'm not putting my lil bro and sis's life's at risk due to their shitty mechanics lol
By jreedy
NyseriA wrote:If nothing, you'd think they'd swap them over as a goodwill gesture? How much is a set of pads to a garage?
My thoughts exactly,

As a goodwill gesture you'd think that they'd foot the bill for some new discs and pads for the front which will cost them about £100..... Then fit them for you for free!

Warranty won't cover brake pads or discs but you'd think if they were badly worn they would be replaced before its sold etc.
By FireBIade2
Just don't expect perfect brakes with brand new pads and discs, let them wear in a bit.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]