The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a speeding ticket? We have Police Officers on the forum who can provide advice.
By tabblink
mjhamilton wrote: I would pay the £6k that I am liable for... Yes

Then I would fight to get the money back
Thanks for your advice on this situation.

Also please learn to use the quote command effectively
By t100ypr
It's the employers responsibility to ensure the van has adequate insurance and is your responsibility to ensure the weekly drivers checks are done and service manual is up to date.

You need to take the legal advice and be represented in court as you won't stand much of a chance on your own, they will chew you up and spit you out.

You followed the correct procedures as its the same for my workplace if I'm in an accident the relivent details are given by roadside and line manager is informed, the MIB should be investigating the company or person responsible at the time, tricky part being that the business has gone down the pan.

All the best buddy hope all gets sorted and you don't get stung.
By tabblink
Run into a solicitor from my local last night. He is a primarily a property lawyer but shed some light on the situation. He basically said there trying it on, hoping to use scare tactics to get me to pay up and threatening court proceedings. he said ignore it until they actually issue court proceedings, which he said is highly unlikely. Even then i have 14 days to reply to that.

Thanks for the help guys, ill keep you posted.

And i urge anyone who uses a company vehicle to use askMID now!
By devil84
tabblink wrote:Run into a solicitor from my local last night. He is a primarily a property lawyer but shed some light on the situation. He basically said there trying it on, hoping to use scare tactics to get me to pay up and threatening court proceedings. he said ignore it until they actually issue court proceedings, which he said is highly unlikely. Even then i have 14 days to reply to that.

Thanks for the help guys, ill keep you posted.

And i urge anyone who uses a company vehicle to use askMID now!
Can you complain to the authorities (if it exists)about the undue stress and time this has caused you?
By ben-111
This is stupid, I would never ring my supervisor up everymorning checking I'm insured, anyone in here who says otherwise are talking out their ar$e
By tabblink
ben-111 wrote:This is stupid, I would never ring my supervisor up everymorning checking I'm insured, anyone in here who says otherwise are talking out their ar$e
+1,000,000
By jreedy
Every time I go out in the works van I don't ring up to check that I'm insured to do so, the company I work for sort all that $hit out as its there responsibility,

It's down to me to check that the van is road worthy to drive etc!

In my opinion I can't believe there trying to put the blame on you the cheeky c.unts! I can't for the life of me see how they can if you had insurance via the company you worked for!

Hope you sort it out anyways mate (which I'm sure you will)

Don't listen to the stupid people on here dishing out there own bull sh!t advice that's about as helpul as :-(
By b0t13
pretty sure its the drivers responsibilty ALWAYS to check the van/car/tractor has insurance,

think of it this way..

if you took ur mates car for a drive everyday, whois responsible for sorting the insurance out/whois going get bummed if driving without it?

as far as i can see the company is only liable for letting u use the van without proper insurance (knowingly), the claim is still the drivers problem, the company (now bust) needs to be done seperetly for breaking a different law/rule.

AKA the money is something youll have to pay :S

its the drivers job to check its insured, not the owner :( whoever pays for it/sorts it out is irrelevant
By mjhamilton
ben-111 wrote:This is stupid, I would never ring my supervisor up everymorning checking I'm insured, anyone in here who says otherwise are talking out their ar$e
That's a dumb statement... Most people will keep insurance details in the glove box and a lot of companies will provide copies for employees to keep with them when using vehicles

Not quite the same but I travel a lot and always decline insurance from avis on my rental cars as the company covers me on this... As a precaution I keep a copy of the company policy and details with me at all times just in case
By mjhamilton
Also technically it is good practice to keep details of your own policy when you are driving your own car... This is needed when you swap details if you have an accident... Why would driving another vehicle not owned by you be any different
By kipps
tabblink wrote:

Being an arogant c0ck with people giving you good advice isn't the best way to deal with a situation is it :lol:

As you were the driver at the time of the accident, you are liable - End of.
By mjhamilton
tabblink wrote:

seeing as I wasn't quoting anyone and was simply supplying a rhetoical question on which I provided an answer I am not sure what you are refering to

Also.. I am not sure why you are getting shirty on this one.. you are asking for an opinion and opinions are being given... in your situation I would pay the money otherwise it will escalate and become a lot worse... once this is calm I would then pursue the employer for the money after the matter

Let us know how it goes when you don't pay for the accident you are liable for (by your own admission), ignore it and then wait for the world to fall into place around you and your prvious employer to come riding in like a knight on horseback and save your bacon.... this won't happen...

Here is what you want to hear - don't pay, I wouldn't as they are theiving scumbags, they wont chase you for the money and will give up in a few weeks so don't worry about it.. stick your head in the sand and it will just sort itself out without any stress or hassle

In all seriousness I do hope you get it sorted and the company pays out in time to cover so you can put this all behind you
By scot
No way would I pay 6 grand because I got a letter telling me to :lol: you've got far to much dollar lining your pocket if you are jumping at the chance to pay out that.

I've never once seen an insurance document from my employer for my work van. I'd like to know exactly who has out of all the people who have access to and it have their own works vehicle.
By kipps
scot wrote: I'd like to know exactly who has out of all the people who have access to and it have their own works vehicle.
Technically Im insured on ANY works registered vehicle Worldwide ( And thats aot of cars / lorries etc )
The insurance details can be found via fleet support page on the inhouse intranet [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By mjhamilton
scot wrote:No way would I pay 6 grand because I got a letter telling me to :lol: you've got far to much dollar lining your pocket if you are jumping at the chance to pay out that.

I've never once seen an insurance document from my employer for my work van. I'd like to know exactly who has out of all the people who have access to and it have their own works vehicle.

well obviously you would make some calls and check it is legit first.. this was implied and assumed based on the OP otherwise the whole thread is just pointless.....

... point being is that if someone is chasing you for £6k that you are legally liable for (let's be pedantic and assume this is all confirmed) ignorning and not paying is not a smart move

Just because you and I both know people who don't bother to check all the documentation before they drive a vehicle that doesn't belong to them - it doesn't make it right

I took my driving test 20 years ago and recall a section on your respnsibility before even turning the key... I bet it is still there today... MOT, Tax, Insurance and road worthyness were all there.. get pulled up on any one of them and you are liable.. not the person who should have been paying
By mjhamilton
mikeBONEZZZ wrote:Is there anything in your employment contract saying they are responsible for insurance etc?
His big issue is that his employer has gone bust which leaves him holding the shitty end of the stick
By tabblink
mjhamilton wrote:
That's a dumb statement... Most people will keep insurance details in the glove box and a lot of companies will provide copies for employees to keep with them when using vehicles

Not quite the same but I travel a lot and always decline insurance from avis on my rental cars as the company covers me on this... As a precaution I keep a copy of the company policy and details with me at all times just in case
So say I had been given all the relevent documentation. My boss did not keep up with installments and the insurance was cancelled. (after speaking with the company that were insuring them, i found out the policy was cancelled due to non payment 2 months before my accident) How am I to know any different? How can I be held liable for that? As far as I know I'm still insured? This brings me to my previous point of phoning said insurance company every day is the only sure way to know I'm insured on a company vehicle. Who does this? Anyone?
kipps wrote:
tabblink wrote:

Being an arogant c0ck with people giving you good advice isn't the best way to deal with a situation is it :lol:

As you were the driver at the time of the accident, you are liable - End of.
Sorry but I was a little peeved at the time of writing as I have just been told I owe 6k, when I strongly beleive I don't.

Apologies to mjhamilton.

In any case, I have spoken to a solicitor and his advice was to ignore it as its very unlikely that they would actually issue summons. Also that they are just trying to use scare tactics to get me to pay before court as they don't really have a case against me. They would have just taken me to court straight away if they knew they would win, as they would earn extra £££'s for me paying their costs of they won.
By mjhamilton
Solicitor is far more qualified than any of us

Still a risk but a calculated one.. Hope it pans out

And as I say above it is the drivers responsibility to make sure everything is in order before every journey... It's a laboured point but never the less it is a fact

Of course in the real world no one does this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]