The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a speeding ticket? We have Police Officers on the forum who can provide advice.
Basically I've spent the last 2 Weeks after work refurbing a set of rotas and they have turned out to be two different freaking shades..

I used halfrauds rattle cans. I called them today and they said unfortunately the colour I have used comes in 5 different shades even though they are in the same cans.

They have offered to give me four new cans which I seemed happy with until I have sat down and thought about it, I have spent hours rubbing back, priming, painting, laquering, over two Weeks on wheels that are without tyres, which I have booked to have the tyres fitted tomorrow.

Best case I needed to re-do 2 that may not match still or worst re-do all 4...

So have I got any rights allowing me to be refunded for my primer, paint, clear coat, wet n dry, Tyre removal, time or anything else? At the mo I feel they should pay to re-do my whole wheels as I worked feckin hard on them!

Thanks for reading :)
Ashman3000 wrote:Bob hope and no hope.
Glad I've read this though as I plan on doing my standard wheels in a funky colour. What colour did you use?
Ford Mercury Metallic, lovely colour (the darker 2 lol)

yella wrote:Nope, best off going to someone like partco and getting them to make up your paint there for you from same batch.
Yeah its just the thought of all that work again...
Sorry to hear your bad luck doing your wheels and I'd forget the place you bought it from tbh. Just write a letter to the Halfords head office here in the UK. You will probably get nowhere though but it's definately worth a try imo.
I've sent complaint letters to; Benson & Hedges, Cadburys, Nestle, Rizla and they all replied, compensating me in a fair way for faulty products. ...But a fire works company did not compensate me at all after one of there fireworks designed to go off in the air went off at ground level and that was bl**dy dangerous. Some companies will just ignore your crys unfortunately. :sad:

Also the problem is a lot of manufacturers in all industries when dealing with coloured products do whats called "batched lots". These lot's will all be the same colour but due to things beyond there control there will be colour shade differences from batch to batch (eg; batch number 201 black will not be the exact same shade as batch number 202 black etc even though they're both black).
My girlfriend does knitting and if shes doing a large piece she has to ensure that all the wool yarns have the same batch number/code on the label in order for the colour to match. It's the same with auto paints too unfortunately and probably rife in somewhere like Halfords where it's done on a large scale.

What I'd do if I was you to sort your wheels is go to a proper paint shop and get them to make you up 5 spray cans of the colour you want. This way you will be assured that each can contains exactly the same shade of colour. They can also make you a touch up paint pen aswell and supply you with anything else painting related you will need.
I use my local place (Autopaints, Ely, Cardiff) but unfortunately it's probably too far for you to use. :sad: :lol:
Maybe try a google maps search for local auto paints shops in your area. :salut: Hope that helps abit and good luck [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
GMballistic wrote:Sorry to hear your bad luck doing your wheels and I'd forget the place you bought it from tbh. Just write a letter to the Halfords head office here in the UK. You will probably get nowhere though but it's definately worth a try imo.
I've sent complaint letters to; Benson & Hedges, Cadburys, Nestle, Rizla and they all replied, compensating me in a fair way for faulty products. ...But a fire works company did not compensate me at all after one of there fireworks designed to go off in the air went off at ground level and that was bl**dy dangerous. Some companies will just ignore your crys unfortunately. :sad:

Also the problem is a lot of manufacturers in all industries when dealing with coloured products do whats called "batched lots". These lot's will all be the same colour but due to things beyond there control there will be colour shade differences from batch to batch (eg; batch number 201 black will not be the exact same shade as batch number 202 black etc even though they're both black).
My girlfriend does knitting and if shes doing a large piece she has to ensure that all the wool yarns have the same batch number/code on the label in order for the colour to match. It's the same with auto paints too unfortunately and probably rife in somewhere like Halfords where it's done on a large scale.

What I'd do if I was you to sort your wheels is go to a proper paint shop and get them to make you up 5 spray cans of the colour you want. This way you will be assured that each can contains exactly the same shade of colour. They can also make you a touch up paint pen aswell and supply you with anything else painting related you will need.
I use my local place (Autopaints, Ely, Cardiff) but unfortunately it's probably too far for you to use. :sad: :lol:
Maybe try a google maps search for local auto paints shops in your area. :salut: Hope that helps abit and good luck [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
Cheers mate, I'm from the 'Diff myself but live in Bridgend... I may use the offer of four new cans for primer and clear and get 4 new ones mixed like you say, I think Ive used autopaints myself before, is it down lansdown road? Cheers bud :)
How badly do the colours not match? Theres two one shade and two another right? If they were on the car you would only ever see a matching pair, you would never see all four at once.

Not perfect i know, but thats what i would do. :-D :wave:
RoBMX wrote:How badly do the colours not match? Theres two one shade and two another right? If they were on the car you would only ever see a matching pair, you would never see all four at once.

Not perfect i know, but thats what i would do. :-D :wave:
Yeah that's my short term plan its quite noticeable to me but then they are tyre free and in my conservatory atm so may seem worse.. Image
I see what you mean, that is annoying. On the plus side looks like you did a good job on them though! [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
RoBMX wrote:I see what you mean, that is annoying. On the plus side looks like you did a good job on them though! [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
Cheers I was impressed, I still need to flat and polish again but they are looking good... Maybe odd wheels either side could catch on :lol:
muz wrote: Cheers mate, I'm from the 'Diff myself but live in Bridgend... I may use the offer of four new cans for primer and clear and get 4 new ones mixed like you say, I think Ive used autopaints myself before, is it down lansdown road? Cheers bud :)
No problem. :wink:
The one I use is just off Heol Trelai in Ely. Heres there address; Unit 27-29 Ely Distribution Centre, Argyle Way, Ely, Cardiff CF5 5NJ
Telephone: 029 2059 6999.

I did a search for you and found this place in Bridgend though; Carpaints Plus Ltd‎, David St, Bridgend CF31 3SA
Telephone: 01656 667 822
Never used them but might be worth a call or look at. :salut:

The alloys do look noticable don't they. :roll: :sad: I'd have to re-do them if it was me tbh.
As you say I'd take Halfords up on there offer of four replacement cans of primer/clear lacquer and then get your paint from an Auto Paints shop to re-do your alloys. Goodluck and keep us updated. :bigthumb:
GMballistic wrote:
muz wrote: Cheers mate, I'm from the 'Diff myself but live in Bridgend... I may use the offer of four new cans for primer and clear and get 4 new ones mixed like you say, I think Ive used autopaints myself before, is it down lansdown road? Cheers bud :)
No problem. :wink:
The one I use is just off Heol Trelai in Ely. Heres there address; Unit 27-29 Ely Distribution Centre, Argyle Way, Ely, Cardiff CF5 5NJ
Telephone: 029 2059 6999.

I did a search for you and found this place in Bridgend though; Carpaints Plus Ltd‎, David St, Bridgend CF31 3SA
Telephone: 01656 667 822
Never used them but might be worth a call or look at. :salut:

The alloys do look noticable don't they. :roll: :sad: I'd have to re-do them if it was me tbh.
As you say I'd take Halfords up on there offer of four replacement cans of primer/clear lacquer and then get your paint from an Auto Paints shop to re-do your alloys. Goodluck and keep us updated. :bigthumb:
Cheers Mucker, at least I won't need to paint the insides again so will probably only use half the paint... :) massive thanks for the advice, hope to be matching by Japfest :)

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]