The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Hints and Tips for all things Track Day and 1/4 mile.
By sammo303
Afternoon all.

I think this might be the year I finally try my first track day. I'm working out a list of things I need sorted on the car beforehand and, besides the usual servicing and checking fluid levels, etc. I'm thinking some decent pads (DS2500 or similar) and track day rubber would be worth the investment. This is not so I can push the car to the max, but to prevent fade and tyres going off whilst I'm busy concentrating on learning how to drive on the track.

I have a set of 16" Civic Sport alloys and I was thinking of using these as my track day wheels. This means tyres are much cheaper but I do have the following queries:

- Would I be ok only using track tyres on the front and standard OEM alloys and road tyres on the rear?
- As the 16" size tyre has a higher side profile (55 vs 45), will it flex more and result in a less than convincing performance?

Any input welcome. As a total track day newb I'm not looking for ultimate performance as such, but a relatively cost effective way of ensuring my car is reasonably sorted for it.

Sam
By haitch
Your best off not mixing road & semi slick tyres, aim for equal grip all round. I would choose a 45 profile, less flex.
A fast road tyre like the Yoko AD08 or Federal RSR is ok or pick a proper semi slick 888, V70a, depends on your budget, they will all be good for your first event.
By sammo303
Thanks gents, looks like 16" alloys with track tyres all-round is the way to do it. Much obliged. :salut:

Kipps, I've checked on Camskill and the 16" ones seem cheaper, although that's possibly down to the brands available in either size. Out of interest, what profile do you use on your 16s for track work?
By kipps
Im running 205 / 45 on the front and 205 /50 on the rear (They didnt have any 45's in stock when I needed to change the rears)

Im considering dropping to 195 / 45's next time around though - Purely as less grip = more fun for me :lol:
By Jmate
Just to add to this I have done 4 track days with the civic sport alloys, ns2r medium semi slicks and they have been excellent would recommend to anyone considering the set up coats less then £300.

Wear on the tyres are down to 4mm evenly. My lap times are eqivilent to civics running 17" semi slicks.

The way I would look at negating the side walls possibly is by getting slightly wider alloys off tyreleader. 7" would be fine.

Overall though I am very pleased.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]