The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Hints and Tips for all things Track Day and 1/4 mile.
By Rickz
Hi all,

Finally getting my stuff together and want to start doing track days as a hobbie, around 1/2 a month around the UK. Only thing is I can't decide whether to use the civic or buy a cheap toy.

Ideally I'd love to get the R set up for track days but its cost me £5k and planting it into a wall would break me, I don't think I'd overdo it as I'm a cautious driver generally but there's always a chance of going off.

My other option is to get a cheaper car I'm thinking towards an MG ZS 2.5 V6 or a ZR160 had both previously and have decent power, but most importantly they're cheap to buy run crash and rebuild, plus I know them inside out.

Think I've answered my own question here reading it back but you lot might have some more input
By Mark83
Just track the Civic. I've never bothered with insurance in the past*. Big excesses on track and only covers rolling chassis.

*my current insurance includes free track cover.

If buying dedicated track car would you tow or MOT, tax and insure it. Either way increasing your costs.
By Rickz
I was thinking on track day insurance but haven't looked into it yet, simply because I assumed it would be extortionate,

If I'd buy a second car it would just be a stripped road go'er so would be MOT'd taxed insured, I did take that into consideration which is what made me consider tracking the R. As seeing some on the tack today on donnington left me begging to get on track!!
By D4Z3D
I insure my civic for 8k when i go on track - it works out at £84 from sky insurance. I talked to them on the phone and all mods are covered in the insured price. 10% excess so if i have a little bump ill be in for up to £800 to fix the car, if i write it off however ill get £7200 back. Which will be enough to get another civic or similar and prepare it to the same spec
By mickdj
Iv just had a quote from green light £85 for full comp cover but they didn't say any thing about the excess so im assuming its the same as my policy, but i think my car is only valued at £3500
I with Greenlight and with the current policy it has been £85 each of the last trackdays but the excess is £1000 :oand value insured £6000 or £7000 I think. Next policy change I will probably move to a different policy, but still Greenlight that is much cheaper for trackdays. I think £20-£30 each, and hopefully less excess.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]