The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Hints and Tips for all things Track Day and 1/4 mile.
By pulpmelon_r
Really interested to find out what it takes to run a 12 second pass in a road legal EP!

It seems like a charged civic can even get into the 11's with drag slicks and a full strip out.

If you are one of the elite that can run 12.xx on the 1/4 it would be great to know roughly what your setup is!

many thanks :-D
By T180985
run a 13.1 on road tyres with my JRSC setup when i was pretty much at full weight, next time im at the pod and running slicks im hoping to be running around 12.2seconds and still completely road legal (if you dont count a decat)

edit: that will be with the JRSC and a little gas

im pretty sure Karl run an 11.9 off his jrsc
By T180985
Not 100% sure, It was at 1156kg with 3/4 tank of fuel but I've just had the aircon taken out and plastic rear windows fitted. With a little more of the interior removed and 1/4 tank of fuel I'm wanting to get down to 1070kg or less. Depends how brave I'm feeling lol :lol:
By tuf
T180985 wrote:Not 100% sure, It was at 1156kg with 3/4 tank of fuel but I've just had the aircon taken out and plastic rear windows fitted. With a little more of the interior removed and 1/4 tank of fuel I'm wanting to get down to 1070kg or less. Depends how brave I'm feeling lol :lol:
That is a serious diet for the car :cool: !
Is there no minimum weight requirements for competitions?
By T180985
tuf wrote:
T180985 wrote:Not 100% sure, It was at 1156kg with 3/4 tank of fuel but I've just had the aircon taken out and plastic rear windows fitted. With a little more of the interior removed and 1/4 tank of fuel I'm wanting to get down to 1070kg or less. Depends how brave I'm feeling lol :lol:
That is a serious diet for the car :cool: !
Is there no minimum weight requirements for competitions?
hoping should pick up the performance a little, then i think i will move onto aero mods

ermmm for the Jap Drag Series the weight limit for a car with 2 power adders is 1080Kg which includes the weight of the driver so im no where near that or likely to get to that sort of level

For the Trackday Trophy the Limit is 200whp/tonne which i will be slightly over, this will mean i can fit ballast to the car to get just within the limits :-D which gives me the added benefit of being able to change the weight distribution of the car :twisted:

i dont think theres much in the way of weight regs in Time Attack (not that ive really checked) i dont have the power or the driving skills to compete in time attack though :sad:

not sure about vtec challenge but if they allow forced induction into the tuner class i would love to have a crack at that :cooldude:
By tuf
Good info there matey, be good to see more of your car in action :salut: , the spec list is coming up very nicely, with the added weight loss should make things pretty interesting!

Back on topic,

IF there are 2 identicle (sp) ep3s, both pushing 250bhp aswell, one has the usual bolt-ons such as rbc,cat back etc etc, BUT, the other is cam'd or ITB'd, would there be a noticeable difference? even if both are still pushing 250 bhp?

Around a track i think it will be noticeable after a certain distance/laps due to the sharper throttle response on the cam'd or ITB's motor than the bolt-on ep3, but on drag strip would there be a difference?
By pulpmelon_r
Awesome!
tuf wrote:Good info there matey, be good to see more of your car in action :salut: , the spec list is coming up very nicely, with the added weight loss should make things pretty interesting!

Back on topic,

IF there are 2 identicle (sp) ep3s, both pushing 250bhp aswell, one has the usual bolt-ons such as rbc,cat back etc etc, BUT, the other is cam'd or ITB'd, would there be a noticeable difference? even if both are still pushing 250 bhp?

Around a track i think it will be noticeable after a certain distance/laps due to the sharper throttle response on the cam'd or ITB's motor than the bolt-on ep3, but on drag strip would there be a difference?
For a drag car, peak power is king. I've seen so many mediocre dyno results with 2k's worth of throttle bodies. You can make just as much power with one of these:

http://www.xcessivemanufacturing.com/on ... 233&step=4

Heres a question: How light does an ep3 with 270hp running semi slicks have to be to hit 12.9?
Has anyone ever hit 12's N/A (in the uk)?
By T180985
i reckon 1180kg inc the driver and fuel should be able to have a good crack at a 12.9 with 270bhp, my 13.1 was run weighing 1280Kg inc me with around 350bhp

although saying that very few n/a cars are in the 12s on the 1/4 mile league table
By pulpmelon_r
T180985 wrote:i reckon 1180kg inc the driver and fuel should be able to have a good crack at a 12.9 with 270bhp, my 13.1 was run weighing 1280Kg inc me with around 350bhp

although saying that very few n/a cars are in the 12s on the 1/4 mile league table
Sounds about right to me.
According the the 1/4 mile table - Mr Max did 13.18 with just bolt-ons & tune using 888's, I've PM'd him to see if the car was stripped much on that run.

Does he still frequent the forum much??
By tuf
That intake mani does look pretty nice, i might actually give one a go after doing a bit more research on it, as im already in the market looking for ITB's, i might just give that mani a go.

Mr.Max has another EP3 now which he has started to mod again, he does come on here now and again also started a new build thread.
By pulpmelon_r
Unless your porting the head right out and going for oversize valves etc, ITB's just dont provide a good enough return on investment IMO

This dudes hitting low 12's on a stock IM and thottle!

The fastest street legal full weight civic around just uses a skunk2 IM and throttle:

Sans skinnies and drag radials that would still be a quick track / road car

I'd spend the money on a k24 instead :twisted:
By pulpmelon_r
leetec wrote:My car weights 1180kgs with half tank ( not includin me). Best I can get at crail is 12.6 with slicks. At santa pod I get 11.7 with the same set up.
Thats due to the 4.8 million hp!!
By leetec
pulpmelon_r wrote:
leetec wrote:My car weights 1180kgs with half tank ( not includin me). Best I can get at crail is 12.6 with slicks. At santa pod I get 11.7 with the same set up.
Thats due to the 4.8 million hp!!
:roflmao:

Surface at crail has a lot to do with the 12 second run. Out of interest what does a stock ctr weigh?
By pulpmelon_r
T180985 wrote:with aircon and some fuel about 1240kg i think
I'm gunna have to become one hell of a 'stripper', I weigh 100kg on top :oops:
By T180985
pulpmelon_r wrote:
T180985 wrote:with aircon and some fuel about 1240kg i think
I'm gunna have to become one hell of a 'stripper', I weigh 100kg on top :oops:
i feel your pain mate, the christmas hols wernt to kind to me :lol: hence why im ripping my car to bits now to compensate for the weight lol

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]