The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Hints and Tips for all things Track Day and 1/4 mile.
By jdm97r
Has anyone ever tried driving an Ep3 with turbo on the track. Is it any good in the corners? My car is more 1/4 mile oriented with a full race turbo kit and gt37 turbo but would like to drive it on track. I think 460 Bhp will be a handful but with the right mods i think it can be possible.
By T180985
would imagine its not much different to driving any other turbo car on track and theres plenty of them about + come to the Silverstone day on the 5th :thumbup:
By jdm97r
Actually I live in Malta. I wish I live in the Uk with all the lovely tracks you have. we go to sicily for track days . there is a fast 5 mile track.
By T180985
jdm97r wrote:Actually I live in Malta. I wish I live in the Uk with all the lovely tracks you have. we go to sicily for track days . there is a fast 5 mile track.
im sure you get the nicer weather though mate :thumbup:
By SuperFLY
a few have/had supercharged CTRs on track perfectly fine.

with anything though, as long as you've got decent suspension/setup, LSD and brakes to go with your power then you'll be fine.

either way its a front wheel drive car so with that much power you're going have understeering issues just the same as any other high powered front wheel drive car would so thats nothing new.
By Ross_B
Can only imagine it'll be fun providing you have a driveable setup, and a gearbox suited to it :thumbup:

Don't know how a standard EP3 gearbox takes to 400hp regarding ratio's etc, but my friend built an EG with a turbo'd B18c4 engine, which was just shy of 400hp on a fairly low boost, driveable map. With a decent geometry setup, it was by far the most useable car i've been on a B-road in, with a standard MB6 vti gearbox. And in a straight line for that matter; beating a stripped out drag only RX7 that's now competing in the time attack series at pod, with a full interior, on T-1R's, the way it had been driven down from Scotland, and a noble M12 on the way home.

As long as the setup works together, from my experience of having a shot of driving it you can effectively drive it like any other car, just without the need for constantly mixing the gears, which fortunately Honda must have thought of when building the MB6 vti-s civic :lol:
By CPL Racing
We are currently building a 700hp turbo EP specifically for circuit use you will be fine if setup correctly.

One of our biggest areas of concentration is ensuring that the engine can stay cool under sustained use.
By hovblackctr
I don't think a 700hp fwd car is going to make a nice cicuit car tbh.

Will be great on the straights but coming out of slower twisty corners trying to put that power down and steer it! :shock:
By jesper k
CPL Racing wrote:Don't forget it will still have a throttle pedal.
Then hopefully this fellows feet will connect perfect with his brain :wink:

JK
By cressie
jesper k wrote:
CPL Racing wrote:Don't forget it will still have a throttle pedal.
Then hopefully this fellows feet will connect perfect with his brain :wink:

JK
Your not wrong Jesper, It'd be a real shame to see all that work dissapear into the tyre wall at the first corner :wink:
By seano
I'd worry more about the gearbox Guy! With big power for a sustained time, everything gets very hot in there and it gets difficult to get into and out of gear when you are are going for 1200 seconds rather than 10! The wheel spin and torque steer would be hilarious too with 700BHP!

Turbo Civic track cars have been done before - there was one in Time Attack few years ago. Got its @rse handed to it on a plate every round by Sieze2 who was making a lot less power with his Rotrex car.

The TDi North Rotrex car driven by Paul West split the two NA ex Halfords BTCC cars yesterday and was running about 140 BHP more than them in the TimeAttack final at Oulton Park. You know what Scott's car used to weigh and both Paul Jones and I have taken further weight out. There wasn't more than a few of bags of sugar weight between all 3 Civics yesterday - the BTCC cars are not as light as you think. Over the Easter weekend I'm going to take the wing mirror motors, the headliner and the passenger window motor out and mine will be the lightest.

Seano
By seano
Any sign of this much fabled track car Guy?

You must have plenty of time to be working on it given that you retired from the 1/4. There's a very close gang doing FWD forced induction in Time Attack that would enjoy the challenge of someone new with 700BHP showing us the way home.

Here's Romain

And Gerry

Bo's ready

And Dave will have a crack too even if he is a few hundred BHP down

Have to say it seems a bit of vapour ware to me - we've already dropped our lowest score and have a fair few points on the boards. Still you have about 4 weekends to get it together before what should be your home double header event at Brands

Bring it on - we're calling you out on the track and drag front.

Seano
By bornlucky1
Best speak to leetec on here , his cars running nigh on 500 hp and he does track days with his :thumbup:

Its not slow either, and i'll vouch for that :-D
By seano
Lets see it then.

Has to be said 500 is a little lower than Guy was claiming - best tell him to register and set the car up on Pirellis on 18"

Seano
Last edited by seano on Sun May 29, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]