The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Integra Type R? Come and chat here.
By Mart
Mk2 FRS or DC2... Tough choice that...
I bet of all the reviewers that own FWD cars none of them own a DC2... Why is that if it's touted as the greatest FWD car ever? :lol: :wink:

PS. FD2 > DC2.
By HondaType
If they thought it was dog shite they would probably say so. Evo are consistant in their praise.

'Back in issue 095, we brought together the 15 greatest front-drive cars of recent times. The Integra was the overall winner. As Meaden concluded, ‘It’s a car as sweet and all-consuming as any I’ve experienced at any price, and as pure and focused in its own way as any Porsche RS. Forget the accolade of greatest front-wheel-drive car. The Integra Type-R ranks as one of the truly great drivers’ cars of any kind.’ 

Catchpole compared it to the E30 a few months back and loved it. I'm sure the FD2 is brilliant and I'd have one over a mk2 RS without hesitation.

By uknowiama
Had a DC2 and an FD2.

Why do these cars command more money. Supply and demand.

Supply - There are very few of these cars around (compared to more mainstream models). Very few FD2s were imported into the country before the exchange rate went belly up. DC2 was a uk car as well as grey imports. Originally more to choose from. However, over time cars have been written off, broken for parts, fallen into disrepair, just less and less of clean looked after examples about. When cars get to a certain age, they need more and more money spent on them to keep them tip top. There are only a few people (enthusiasts) willing to do so.

Demand - Each car is sought after by those in the know and like what either has to offer. Those that don't, either cos they aren't in the know, or are in the know, yet don't like what each car has too offer don't form part of the demand. The demand is there from those that are looking for either car as they are acclaimed cars, motoring journalists / critics have rated them highly. If either car was rubbish to all people, it wouldn't matter that there was limited numbers, they would be difficult to sell and the prices would reflect this accordingly.

When I owned the DC2 and I was just pooterling around driving back and forth to work, I would occasioally think I could have got a much newer car, more comfortable, more toys for similar money. When I took it out on track or gave it some beans the car made more sense and better value for money.

When I owned the FD2, was a cracking car, had a bit more everday refinement (once sorted out the ride with some adjustable rear dampers) and lots of performance. But I still found myself looking at what I could also of got for £15k, something newer? bigger engine? More toys? A nice BMW? But again once I got it on track or took it for a spirited drive it seemed like better value for money.

So either car commands more money than cars of a similar age (and to the majority of people seem over priced) but they do take longer to sell when you are finished with them as there are less like minded people (as anyone that choses to own these cars) who will be looking to by it off you.

I now own a 2003 CL7 Accord Euro R, 220bhp K20A that's worth £8k to £9k. An Accord Type S is £3k to £5k? Pretty sure the majority of people, given that as a comparison, will think it is over priced? What else could I have bought for similar money? When I am done with it (intending to keep this for a few years) what will it be worth?
By davey j
Mr Anderson wrote:
zero7 wrote:Old 911s also fetch a fr penny - some time old technology is just the ticket, much prefer the LSD in the dc2 than the mre aggressive dc5, also prefer the character of the b18 over the more powerful but refined k20.

Horses for course but using age as a marker for valuing special cars like these is nonsensical, see first sentence.
Lol it's not a f*cking 911 though is it! That is nonsensical!
This isn't meant to nitpick at you personally, although I am quoting a point you've made.

His analogy of the 911 isn't that nonsensical really, if anything it is bang on. If you are going to compare prices of an older (DC2) Integra to a newer (DC5) varient and say that the older technology shouldn't fetch a premium over the newer, then the same should and can apply to an older shape 911 when compared to a newer shape version of the same car. The same could be said of E30 M3s and their E46 counterparts......but look at the prices of those. They're all backwards, the latter example partly being fuelled by genuine homologation credentials for touring car racing, initial rarity (where the Evo 1, 2 and Sport models are concerned) upon release and subsequent rarity from those examples having been stacked or rusted away............that, and like you've said, die hard fans with deep pockets. I'd rather have a newer varient than pay £40K over the odds to turn a few heads at a trackday or whatever, but then that's just me.

I agree with your point about that it being daft spending top dollar on an old car that should be technologically inferior to the newer version, but unfortunately it just doesn't work that way with used iconic performance cars, especially not with those that have the backing of every motoring journal. As soon as you get the likes of Octane or Evo magazine praising the life out of something, you can guarantee at some point those cars will bottom out on price and steadily climb up to something perceived as silly by the masses.
By Mr Anderson
Its like i said, a concours dc2 could fetch a better price than a shabby dc5, as there are many who feel the dc2 to be superior because it has less modern updates i.e. airbags, aircon and the inevitable bloating that goes with that.

I didnt actually say that, but i was a bad tempered little c*nt, trying to stop smoking.

End of the day a car, once of a certain age, it's worth is not its material value, but it's appreciation and the lengths people will pay for that appreciation.
By eg6-b18c6
Prices for good dc2's are only going to go one way. Same thing is true for ep3's except it's in the opposite direction. If you don't 'get' dc2's that's no problem, just means the price is going to increase more slowly than it would if everyone knew how great they are.

I currently have an EP3 premier, and compared to most hot hatches it's great. Compared to DC2's its severely lacking in feel and fun factor.

Best car I've ever owned was my k20 dc2, other cars I've had that aren't quite as good include. S2000, 2 x ep3, Mazda 3 MPS, 3 x pulsar GTiR, various EG's, 400bhp Evo 9, and last but not least Porsche 996 turbo..... Next car will be a DC2 I think.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]