The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Integra Type R? Come and chat here.
By HondaType
I bought a DC2 a couple of weeks ago having sold my Milano 30th Anniversary EP3.

I drove up from Surrey to Yorkshire to view the car which was a bit of a mission, but worth it in the end.

It's had 5 owners from new and has covered 53,700 miles. It's pretty much OEM apart from a JDM exhaust (manifold back).

By HondaType
ally138 wrote:Love this! It's a JDM 98 yeah?
Nope its a UK car. I personally prefer the UK front end and the insurance is nice and low too which is a nice touch.

I've done a few miles in it now and love it. I'm going to get it undersealed then SORN'd at the end of the month.
By martin1086
always liked these nice find [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By ally138
insurance is always good on uk models but personally prefer the JDM front end look. Still cool though! My civic's got the five stud conversion out a uk dc2. If I remember correctly, dc2 wheels are 15" and the 98 dc2s are 16"?

How are you finding it compared to the civic? any plans after you get it back on the road?
By HondaType
ally138 wrote:insurance is always good on uk models but personally prefer the JDM front end look. Still cool though! My civic's got the five stud conversion out a uk dc2. If I remember correctly, dc2 wheels are 15" and the 98 dc2s are 16"?

How are you finding it compared to the civic? any plans after you get it back on the road?
Both cars are brilliant but in different ways. As has been said hundreds of times the EP3 is more refined. I absolutely loved the K20 and it has loads of tuning potential. I noticed a lack of low down grunt in the B18 compared to the K20. As standard the B series is so aggresive on cam though! 

My EP3 had a Gruppe M induction kit and a Spoon N1 and b-pipe. It was loud but that was fine because I didn't cover many miles.  The gearbox in terms of the throw, and position were spot on - probably the best I've come across. My EP3 had Red Recaros like the JDM EP3, a big improvement on the standard CTR chairs, but they weren't as supportive as the DC2 Recaros.

I always heard people say the DC2 was a "raw" car and I thought that was a funny way to describe it. Now I own one, it's 100% accurate. The big let down in the EP3 was the lack of LSD and the numb steering.  As an every day car my EP3 never put a foot wrong, which is why I'm back in the Red H. I bought the DC2 As a weekend car

I went out in a mates Elise S2 and it had a similar kind of feeling to the DC2 in that you don't have lots of gadgets and toys. I love that. My only criticism is that after a recent trek across Europe, the car is crying out for a six speed box. Had I bought a cheaper,  battered example I'd be more inclined to K-swap it, but the engine and gearbox have covered less than 55k. That would be my ultimate Type-R.

I had TGM check over the car after I bought it and Tom took it out for a test drive. He was very complimentary about it, saying it's rare to see such a tidy car. He certainly seemed to enjoy it because we weren't hanging about

The tax expires tomorrow so it'll be SORN'd over the Winter months and re-taxed either in March or April. Until then it's plugged in at the wall.
By ally138
Wow thanks for the input! With K engines you will definitely get a bigger bang for buck than you would with a B engine. I've never driven a K powered motor but as I've converted my civic with the B16B, it was a really big jump for me from a 1.4. Apparently the most aggressive cam'd vtec engine too!

The s2000 is a fantastic car. My mate's one he used to own was amazing and it was quite raw compared to the feel i got in the other modern cars like the FN2. Even my mate with a 96 teg said mine was aggressive as hell haha! Ill need to go out n about in others' to compare

That's good man. Hopefully the snow won't be around for long!
By HondaType
I don't visit this site as much as I used to but thought I'd update this thread. I've still got the DC2 after a couple of thoughts of selling it to reclaim the space in the garage. It was SORN'd again at the end of last September on just over 56k miles.

Making time to go out for a drive is more challenging with a young family but I still really enjoy it compared to modern cars.

I had to replace the mid pipe and back box as there was a knocking noise and an annoying resonance/vibration which was getting worse. I sourced a replacement from a guy on the itr-dc2 forum who had sold his low mileage JDM Type RX but had replaced the OEM exhaust with an aftermarket system at around 55k miles. Based on the fact it had covered similar miles to my car, but more importantly he was local, I went round and collected it.

I cleaned it up and got it fitted and when the old mid pipe and back box were taken off they had clearly seen better days. The new exhaust is a big improvement with no more annoying noises. Well worth doing.

I want to do a couple of other jobs - replacing the front discs and bleeding the clutch and brakes and changing the coolant. Only a few more months and I'll tax it again.

By SeanEP3
looks great. I have a mad itch for a DC2. Ideally id want a 98 JDM, but they are holding their price very well at the moment!
By HondaType
Thanks. The car appears to has been owned by enthusiasts since new so has been on the ITR forum with a couple of the owners. Looking at their build threads was useful when I was looking to buy the car because they give you an idea of how it's been looked after. That and the fact that it has a history folder full of receipts as well as the adverts from autotrader where the new owners had cut them out or printed them off! Attention to detail like that appeals to me in an odd way!

I'm hoping to get the car out of the garage and taxed at the beginning of April, depending on finances and the weather, possibly May so not too long to wait.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]