The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Integra Type R? Come and chat here.
By bluntcap
As it looks I may be making a change to a DC5 in the future, as there isn't a massive choice out there being a rare enough car, and even less choice in N.Ireland, I was wondering what peoples thoughts on milage is with these cars.

Most for sale are 2001/2002 cars, so we are looking at a 10-11 year old car here, there is one I know of close buy, mint (I always say that holding my breath), with 83K miles, to me that seems very high, but in the grand scale of things it is less than 10K miles per year as it's a 2001 car, which as far as I'm aware is the average. Just not fussed on the idea of going from a 56K car to a 83K one.

I know it is said on here a lot of the time that these engines are good for 150K+ when well maintained.......but how much would high milage really bother you? I understand having detailed and up to date service stamps are a must, but would that milage on a car that age stop you buying, even if the rest of it looked awesome? Or am I just being to picky?
Last edited by bluntcap on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sammo303
Hmmm.... :think: .....if the interior is sweet, and the bodywork isn't too bad....and you'd consider replacing all the bushes, changing the gearbox oil, overhauling the brakes, replacing the engine if necessary....then I'd go for it! :thumbup:
By bonezzz
My cousin got a b16 vti civic with 126k on the clock, no service history after 60k or so because the guy who owned it before him serviced it himself. He's had it going on 3 years now with about 170k miles on it, never had a problem
By bluntcap
sammo303 wrote:Hmmm.... :think: .....if the interior is sweet, and the bodywork isn't too bad....and you'd consider replacing all the bushes, changing the gearbox oil, overhauling the brakes, replacing the engine if necessary....then I'd go for it! :thumbup:
Replace the engine :???: :eek: :shock:

mikeBONEZZZ wrote:If looked after with proof no not a problem for me. Dibs on your sc CTR when you sell, srs
Parts shall be transferred bro.....all I need is a JRSC DC5 manifold a few other bits :twisted:
By bluntcap
kingofdbrits wrote:The engine is the 1 bit that i wouldn't worry about, but a car that's over 10 years old is a bit risky and if you start modding it, it could become a money pit.
Yea good point actually, car just looks in such good condition, it's a shame but it always makes me a little :think: with high milage.
mikeBONEZZZ wrote:GM, mani, feels, kpro will all be transferred?
GM no
Mani Yes
FEELS no
KPro....yes and no, in the EP ECU no, but take the board out and get it put in my ECU is possible, or just sell it and get a new one put in.

Everything else would be stripped off the car for sure, no point selling it with it all on, also no one is paying good money for EP3s, not that I'd be looking unrealistic money, but to save the hassle I'd nearly give it to webuyanycar.com.......they offered the same as local used car place a bout a months ago :lol: Saves the hassle of idiots wasting my time and offering me £3K etc
By Edamski
98k now mine is on, needs the valves adjusting as its a little "tappety" apart from that she runs great :)

Got an advisory on my mot for rear drop links. No biggy really though.
By bornlucky1
bluntcap wrote:
bornlucky1 wrote:83k isnt high mileage
What would you consider high milage for a 2001 car mate?
varies so much, but on any modern car - say post mk1 focus/mk4 golf era i wouldn't be worried at all tbh until it reached 125k + miles if its been properly maintained, i'd base it more on car condition and history. Many 50k mile cars are thrashed and wrecked whereas a car with three times that mileage thats been well looked after could be spot on.
My ep3 is on ninety thousand almost now, its been thrashed for the passed 45k in my hands (seriously thrashed, in the first two years of ownership i notched up over thirty track days/sprints/driving days) and still drives great and pulled over 200hp at a recent dyno day with nothing more than a cat back and hondata modded airbox. It's also a previous insurance total loss (used to belong to MARK on here when someone rear ended him) yet you'd struggle to find any evidence of crash repairs.

My mates also got a mk2 golf on 186k that's won competitions at vag festivals. With any enthusiast car it really is down to the condition of the car and the way it's been cared for rather than miles.
By andy.h
Id love a dc5 after my ctr what would be a good price to pay for one as i see some for 6/7 grand and alot more for higher. With it being an import whats the insurance group?
By chris wheela
I think the main problem is buying a car with that mileage and (depending on how many miles you put on it within your ownership) it'll go past 100k making it very undesirable for buyers. That's the only thing that would put me off.
By bornlucky1
chris wheela wrote:I think the main problem is buying a car with that mileage and (depending on how many miles you put on it within your ownership) it'll go past 100k making it very undesirable for buyers. That's the only thing that would put me off.
You buy a car with higher miles you pay less, so when you sell it you sell it for less. Your not really losing out.
By rascal69
Should still buy mines lol
59k on the clock right now.
Have jap service book and folder for the car.
Jap s/h full uk s/h.
Bitma certificate so you know its not been messed about with.
Imported by torque gt. undersealed on import and redone whem i got it jan 2011.
Not used in winter by myself.
I always clean and seal arches.

Look at how clean they are

By bluntcap
mikeBONEZZZ wrote:I respect you bro but *mileage
Good looking out bro, I was half asleep last night, mistakes happen, and you told like only a bro should.....respect :salut:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]