The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Integra Type R? Come and chat here.
By dp9901
mike and tristan at torque are top blokes. very helpful and they tend to deal in good cars when i first saw mine i had to have it.

miss it now!
By Grov24
Head over to the DC5 forum and check out Kingston's buying guide, it's very useful.
By Mouthwash
m1ke wrote:Can't wait to pic mine up this week.
After almost 2 months of ownership, I'm not that bowled over with it.. Wish I was.

I might have to start modifying it to be on par with my Civic.
By Grov24
Ian_M wrote:
After almost 2 months of ownership, I'm not that bowled over with it.. Wish I was.

What did the Civic have done?
By DANCTRs-o-t
I've discovered a problem with mine this weekend courtesy of a previous owner. The headlight bulbs were a different colour, I was told the bulb needed changing for an MOT, fair enough I thought, dropped the bumper off this weekend to put a new pair in. The Honda ballast is missing and there's a poo aftermarket one in it's place along with a butchered loom, so now I need a new ballast and also a connector to splice back onto the loom!

Not happy but nothing I can do about it, you don't exactly drop bumpers off a car when you go and look at it. Just need some money to actually sort it now.
By Grov24
Why do you need a new ballast? Just buy a new bulb.

My ballast went a few months ago, i bought an aftermarket one for 25quid, but i did wire it up properly just like thw OEM method, and it's fine.

A OEM ballast is well over 200quid, and to be honest, there quite crap, they let water in, thats why they tend to fail.
By Mouthwash
Grov24 wrote:
Ian_M wrote:

Had the standard stuff done to it, K100, RBC, Exhaust / Manifold, CAI, FRSU etc etc...

This currently has a FRSU, Spoon cat back and a Gruppe M... It's alright but other than styling I'd argue my Civic was better.. Hopefully I'll change that soon though.

Also, seeing that SC Satin Civic for sale in the other sub forum has tempted me to sell up already.
By Grov24
Ian_M wrote:
Grov24 wrote:
Ian_M wrote:

Had the standard stuff done to it, K100, RBC, Exhaust / Manifold, CAI, FRSU etc etc...

This currently has a FRSU, Spoon cat back and a Gruppe M... It's alright but other than styling I'd argue my Civic was better.. Hopefully I'll change that soon though.

Also, seeing that SC Satin Civic for sale in the other sub forum has tempted me to sell up already.
Well thats quite a modified CTR, it's going be faster than the DC5. If you went into the purchase expecting anything else your a bit daft. Saying that though it still has much better seats and steering, IMO it's nicer inside, the brakes are better, LSD, etc/ Pretty harsh comparing it to a CTR thats had 2-3k spent on it.
By DANCTRs-o-t
Grov24 wrote:Why do you need a new ballast? Just buy a new bulb.

My ballast went a few months ago, i bought an aftermarket one for 25quid, but i did wire it up properly just like thw OEM method, and it's fine.

A OEM ballast is well over 200quid, and to be honest, there quite crap, they let water in, thats why they tend to fail.
Like I said....
The Honda ballast is missing and there's a poo aftermarket one in it's place along with a butchered loom

And as the bottom of the HID bulb has been butchered to fit I'll fix it properly unlike some pikey f*cker could be bothered to do.
By DANCTRs-o-t
Grov24 wrote:Whats the loom mate? the wiring? lol.

Im using this ballast http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-ballas ... p-509.html Id try one of those and a new bulb, etc, before splashing at almost 250 on the Honda ballast.
I'll get a 2nd hand one anyway. The loom issue is a tiny one, he's chopped the connector for the ballast off the end and crimped the wires to the new ballast!

Part of me is tempted ro just get an aftermarket kit. What fitment did you use?
By Mouthwash
Grov24 wrote:
Ian_M wrote:
Grov24 wrote:
Ian_M wrote:

Well thats quite a modified CTR, it's going be faster than the DC5. If you went into the purchase expecting anything else your a bit daft. Saying that though it still has much better seats and steering, IMO it's nicer inside, the brakes are better, LSD, etc/ Pretty harsh comparing it to a CTR thats had 2-3k spent on it.
Aye, sorry I might be coming across wrong here. What I'm saying is that at the same level of modication I'm doubting I'll see the massive difference everyone banged on about (Hence why I said modifying it to be on par with my Civic).

Meh, I'm even thinking about chopping it in and having a 5k CTR with mods. At least I can say I've owned one which I've always wanted to do :-D
By Grov24
DANCTRs-o-t wrote:
Grov24 wrote:Whats the loom mate? the wiring? lol.

Im using this ballast http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-ballas ... p-509.html Id try one of those and a new bulb, etc, before splashing at almost 250 on the Honda ballast.
I'll get a 2nd hand one anyway. The loom issue is a tiny one, he's chopped the connector for the ballast off the end and crimped the wires to the new ballast!

Part of me is tempted ro just get an aftermarket kit. What fitment did you use?
Just popped that ballast where the OEM one fits, fed the wires through the headlight, and fit the bulb. Simple as that. None of mine was botched though. It's a easy swap if it's ok. I did have a bit of help feeding the wires through by a sparky.

CTR with mods is certainly the best option cost wise.
By DANCTRs-o-t
The only wires chopped are the ones before the ballast and I think the only chopped part is on the bulb not the holder. I'll do a bit of searching about.
By Grov24
Im a bit lost now, but i can't see why you'd need that. You get the same thing from the ballast, though i don't know exactly whats been done to your car, or have much clue when it comes to electronics lol.
By DANCTRs-o-t
Grov24 wrote:Im a bit lost now, but i can't see why you'd need that. You get the same thing from the ballast, though i don't know exactly whats been done to your car, or have much clue when it comes to electronics lol.
The ballast with it has a completely different fitment bulb so need an adaptor for the proper one.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]