The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Post your power charts here.
By pdapaul
Had a mega day yesterday, the guys at Tdi have done me proud !!

After the base map was set we started with the nos. With a 50bhp straight shot it got 297 straight away and the power curve was crazy!! When the nitrous kicked in the curve literally went vertical up approx 40bhp and then continued to climb, looked really strange.

As we moved up the power with the nitrous we used my controller to bring the nitrous in progressively. As can be seen by the graph above the curve on nitrous is really smooth. We used the controller to bring in the nitrous starting at 40% and then increasing in 20% increments over 1.5 secs and then full power from there.

We found that when we went on gas on the higher power it really leaned off, so Paul added fuel through the kpro on the nitrous map to compensate, and the results were perfect. Constant AFR throughout the run and immense power and torque.

The car straight n/a is blistering, the power delivery is smooth and the pull especially in the midrange is amazing. I must be honest I've not tried it on full gas yet as I'm a little :ymca: and roads have been rotten...

Next stage is to see if I can find out why Afr fluctuated so badly, need to do some fuel pressure testing and check flow rates through the Nos. once that's sorted I can fit the next pulsoid up which are rated at 280bhp!!! If we can keep the fuel pressure stable we should hit approx 450bhp :eek:

All this from a car that actually rolled over onto 180,000 miles on the dyno ON NOS!!
Once again massive thanks to the guys at TDi, great job, really impressed.

Watch this space :-D
Last edited by pdapaul on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By T180985
pdapaul wrote:Cheers bud, be even better in a few weeks when I've fitted my 250bhp pulsoids!!

What system do you run?
i use an old WON kit, what pulsoids are you running now? i thought the standard ones were good for 150bhp!!
By pdapaul
They are, but ive just upgraded to the new X10 250's which are good for up to 280bhp!!! The further in I get though the more complicated it becomes. I'm now going to be pushing that much nitrous that I have to use steel piping to the D blocks. The fuel side(direct port) has each port(4 of) jetted individually. Costs me a bloody fortune in jets. Should be good when all done, the only downside is that the minimum bhp I can now run on Nos is 125bhp shot :eek:
By T180985
pdapaul wrote:They are, but ive just upgraded to the new X10 250's which are good for up to 280bhp!!! The further in I get though the more complicated it becomes. I'm now going to be pushing that much nitrous that I have to use steel piping to the D blocks. The fuel side(direct port) has each port(4 of) jetted individually. Costs me a bloody fortune in jets. Should be good when all done, the only downside is that the minimum bhp I can now run on Nos is 125bhp shot :eek:
hmmm ok is this something WoN advised you to do then, with the steel pipes etc? well should be interesting to see the results atleast, what upgrades have you made to the ignition system to cope with that much nitrous?
By pdapaul
Yes definately required. I have braided hose from the pulsoid and then I've upgraded up to 5mm outlets for the fuel and nitrous on the pulsoid. 5mm nylon not ideal for that much nitrous, and also with the 5mm elbows into the D block, its impossible to put restrictor into them to even flow out. So they've manufactured a steel pipe that has a kink in it to replicate the restrictor and even the flow into D block. The issue with fuel is that with 5mm outputs they step up to a larger jet and the minimum jet size is 250. So to accommodate this we've had to jet each of the crossfires individually, so that they accept 4mm jets which obviously start lower. So for 250 nitrous jet I install fuel jets at 1/2 value divided by 4. So for 250 nitrous I have 4x30 jets on fuel (giving 120) a smidge lean but not an issue. Also as I'm jetting at the crossfire the pulsoid is jetless, so there is no restriction in either pulsoid or D block, so fuel gets to crossfire a lot quicker and at a greater pressure. We've tested the ignition and we believe that it should be fine. Again turbo & SC boys are running 450bhp no probs on standard ignition. In process of testing fuel pressure though and may need to upgrade that to full return system with new rail and regulator.
By T180985
hmmm ok interesting stuff, ive heard of people starting to run into ignition issues when starting to go above 100bhp of nitrous but will be good to see how yours runs once its done

its worth remembering that most of the power being created by the turbo/sc cars is from the boost rather than the aditional nitrous
By pdapaul
Yes will be interesting to see how far I can go. We have already run a 150bhp shot with no issues so I do feel that the system is capable of much more. Even with the sc and turbo boys surely the premise is exactly the same as nitrous just with a different method of delivery. We are not igniting the nitrous we are just using it as a vehicle for delivering more oxygen into the combustion cycle? Whatever a vehicle is capable of using a s/c it us capable of doing under gas. Sometimes even further as the intake temps as significantly listed by the nos. similar to a charge cooling effect which again is just a method of delivery for a more dense air intake into the engine.
By T180985
the key difference is the temps though mate, with a boosted setup the intake temps are still going to be reasonable normal but when using nitrous in large amounts like you are (100bhp+) you drop the temp so much the spark plugs can run into issues/stop firing etc

anyway as i say would be good to see the car running sometime if your planning on going over to santa pod etc
By pdapaul
T180985 wrote:the key difference is the temps though mate, with a boosted setup the intake temps are still going to be reasonable normal but when using nitrous in large amounts like you are (100bhp+) you drop the temp so much the spark plugs can run into issues/stop firing etc

anyway as i say would be good to see the car running sometime if your planning on going over to santa pod etc

Not sure if we are at cross purposes or if I have misconstrued your comment but it appears fundamentally flawed. Yes the intake temps are reduced but this is beneficial and essential to the working of the nitrous kit. I've never heard of cooler temps causing spark plug failures, in fact the complete opposite. When I'm running the larger volumes of gas the combustion temps are so significantly raised that I actually drop one or 2 grades cooler on the plug, and also retard the ignition. The ignition temps are so aggressive on nitrous that if not correctly adjusted, then it has been known for the earth strap of plugs to actually melt???

Just a few more things to sort on car and then ready hit first outing in January at pod. I'm running in the FWD series next year, so hopefully everything will go we'll with testing.

[smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By T180985
Yes i know that but because of the large amounts of nitrous you are suddenly injecting you can cause the plug to cool down suddenly and fail to fire if it falls bellow its workable heat range etc which can happen if the kit isnt progressively controlled

theres a reason people with big power run after market ignition systems
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]