The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Post your power charts here.
The Girthatron was a bit of a fail sadly :sad:

Today was not actually 'fair test' as no back to back was done, but here are the variables that had changed from the last dyno run @ TDi-N:

* Summer not winter, +10 degrees IAT on average per run (23 deg)
* Tesco 99 used, BP 97 used last time
* Less favourable humidity and air pressure

In Pauls experience over years and seasons, the environmental variables between today and the last dyno in January should account for around 7-9hp loss.

Never the less with the 3.5" Short intake we were struggling to get over 260hp (11hp or so down from last time) :bad-words:

In the back of my mind I was worried that this intake design might not be optimal for building velocity and stacking up the resonance correctly. So I took the liberty of bringing a 2.5ft length of spare 3.5" alu pipe with me. We chucked this on so it was sticking up in the air with a v-stack and ran it a few times for the sh*ts.

Boom... 265hp

Neil then chopped the pipe in half to around 18", we ran it and made a similar sort of number. Paul then moved the cam angles and fuelling around a bit and came up with a consistent 267 - 268hp

Running this longer setup in the cold of winter should put me back to where I was before + maybe 1 or 2 extra horse power.

SO what have we learnt?

* Around 28" of intake length works for my motor (similar length to the injen CAI funnily enough)
* An SRI doesn't do you any favours
* The jury is still out on 3" vs 3.5" for a 2L... I think there might only be a few hp in it. :think:

Thanks again to Team TDi.
1. Filter design is important. Something that enables straight path for airflow is certainly key with ideally built in velocity stack. The HKS power ones are ideal IMO.

2. Length is also very important. We found an optimum length but it still wasn't as good as a smaller diameter Injen as it lost a significant amount of midrange.

3. If bigger was better everyone would be sticking an open cone directly to their throttle body. ;)

4. A smaller diameter is actually better for midrange but does strangle flow at higher rpm with air hungry mods. Just look at the massive torque you see midrange with the ITG's and the intake is only about 2" diameter and the hose is crushed behind the battery box. Its also poor at high rpm.

Was really interesting having another play about really testing stuff to see what works and what doesn't.
Full credit to Phil for having a go. [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
pulpmelon_r wrote:
bluntcap wrote:So it's not the size that counts towards the performance.........many a man on here is happy to read that :lol:
Aye, make sure you've the length though!
That's it, just shoot me down again :lol:
bluntcap wrote:
pulpmelon_r wrote:
bluntcap wrote:So it's not the size that counts towards the performance.........many a man on here is happy to read that :lol:
Aye, make sure you've the length though!
That's it, just shoot me down again :lol:
:roflmao:
Would it be right to say that the shorter the intake the less smooth the air comes in at and the longer, the smoother it comes in but more drag,so maybe slower ideally need the length somewhere in between to get the right mix?

So its flowing nicely but at a good speed.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]