The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Post your power charts here.
All the data has been scrutinised and I am clear to proceed.

Solid line is the base configuration:
- 2.5” Mandrel bent exhaust (two mufflers)
- 2.5”, 200 Cell Sports catalytic converter
- 4-2-1 header with 2.5” collector
- Stock head & block
- Plastic Intake manifold gasket
- Aftermarket Inlet manifold
- 70mm Throttle Body
- 76mm Cold Air Intake
- Piggy Back ECU

Dotted line is the addition of a velocity Stack and k&n cone filter

Copy of the Abstract:

Simple bolt-on modifications are widely known to produce excellent results on Honda’s K-series automotive power plants. Extensive testing from race teams, component vendors and independent tuners around the globe have shown that significant performance advantages are obtainable from revisions to the factory intake tract.
There is much debate on the street, at the drag strip, race circuit or even pub - what works and what doesn’t? This paper aims to look at a small piece of the puzzle and cut through some of the marketing hype with real data. The main question this paper hopes to address is: can additional efficiency be produced from an off the shelf aftermarket cold air intake?
The Honda aftermarket is one of the most ‘cost effectiveness’ concerned automotive markets today. As a result the BPI velocity stack was chosen as a test piece, due to its low cost and simplicity.
The rolling road used for testing belongs to TDi north Warrington, and the subject vehicle is the popular EP3 Civic Type R built in Swindon.
The difference between the baseline figure and final figure was 7.1BHP, impressive when considered certain headers or exhausts provide less benefit at much higher cost.
Results provide conclusive evidence of the advantages offered using the BPI stack; however questions are raised regarding the nature of direct air flow around forward facing cone filters with capped tops.
By Jazzy
Impressive results for such a simple mod - would be interesting to see how much difference it makes it the real world compared to say a GM with the scoop. Blowing cold air onto the K&N without a bumper has got to be better than with it stuck behind it on the move. Would be worth looking at making a intake hole in the bumper you reckon?
A velocity stack is like fitting a big funnel onto the scoop and quite simply forces more air in than a conventional intake would. I think the best solution would be to have a filter that doesnt have a closed end, like the HKS mushroom one with the stack underneath.

I did a trial on the Mugen intake on the FN2 which has a replacement scoop in place of the foglight and it made a 4bhp gain right across the whole rev range so direct air feed definatly is best option. :thumbup:
tuf wrote:What is it you who was there when i was over to have my driveshaft changed????
Yarp, sure was - hope you got home okay in the snow!
Jazzy wrote:Impressive results for such a simple mod - would be interesting to see how much difference it makes it the real world compared to say a GM with the scoop. Blowing cold air onto the K&N without a bumper has got to be better than with it stuck behind it on the move. Would be worth looking at making a intake hole in the bumper you reckon?
Crazy as it sounds, putting a regular cone filter in direct air flow might even be counter productive (with the sealed cap facing the direction of travel). I'm willing to bet it makes the same if not more behind the bumper.

Unless as Paul states, the filter meduim is open ended and air can pass right through.

If your interested I can send you a copy of the write up (think its a bit long for the dyno section)

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]