The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
If you're having trouble joining online games eg. 'unable to communicate etc' you might want to check your NAT status. You may be 'Strict' or 'Moderate' whereas ideal is 'Open'.

To test this....on your xbox360 go to network settings and test your live connection. It will test your IP address/DNS/ICS etc and your NAT. If its not 'Open' have a read below...this is for my router so may not be exactly the same for you but should get you in the right direction.

Port settings you need to add to your router set up. I had to do this as mine was 'moderate' instead of 'open'.

3074 UDP & TCP
88 UDP

Now on my Belkin router its in the section 'Firewall\Application Gateway' and the fields you have to enter the info are as follows:

1) Trigger Port '3074' - Trigger Type 'UDP' - Public Port '3074' - Public Type 'UDP' - Enabled 'check box'
2) Trigger Port '88' - Trigger Type 'UDP' - Public Port '88' - Public Type 'UDP' - Enabled 'check box'
3) Trigger Port '3074' - Trigger Type 'TCP' - Public Port 3074 - Public Type 'TCP' - Enabled 'check box'

Hope that helps I spent quite a while on google sorting mine
By Harv
8) 8) 8) Cheers 8) 8)
By BIG ARG
http://www.portforward.com
This should help for those that don't know how to open ports on their router
By Ali
THanks dude. My NAT is Open and I still have problems on CoD2. It's as if I can always connect to a game first time, but not any other time that day? Is the server so busy that it uses a queuing system? Or is the code just fecked?
By Red
A few things to keep in mind here:-

When configuring your router to forward ports, some routers allow you to forward all chosen ports to any connected devices. This makes things easier.

On the other hand, a lot of routers require you to forward the chosen ports to a specific I.P. For this reason it's important in most cases to assign a static I.P to your xbox. The reason is that if your router dynamically assigns I.P's based on the order the devices connect in, you could end up forwarding the data coming in on the xbox related ports to your laptop, or PC, which won't do any damage but will mean xbox connection will be lame again. You can assign your xbox a static I.P from the xbox itself, in the connection settings bit spoken about above.

The simplest and most hassle free way to do all this is not even worry about forwarding specific ports and just stick your xbox in the DMZ (demilitarised zone). This basically allows you to assign a specific I.P (your xbox's I.P) to the DMZ and your router will allow all traffic on all ports, in and out. This way you don't have to worry about setting up port forwarding rules etc.
By TomA
Red wrote:A few things to keep in mind here:-

The simplest and most hassle free way to do all this is not even worry about forwarding specific ports and just stick your xbox in the DMZ (demilitarised zone). This basically allows you to assign a specific I.P (your xbox's I.P) to the DMZ and your router will allow all traffic on all ports, in and out. This way you don't have to worry about setting up port forwarding rules etc.
Thanks for this but how do I actually do it? I have a Netgear WGR614.
By Red
TomA wrote:
Red wrote:A few things to keep in mind here:-

Thanks for this but how do I actually do it? I have a Netgear WGR614.
First of all you need to assign your xbox a static I.P. If you've done this and you know the I.P this skip to point 2), otherwise start at 1).

1) First of all, find out your router's IP address. This is the what you type into your web browser when you want to get into the settings page (preceded by http://). For Netgear I'm pretty sure it's always 192.168.0.1.

Go into your xbox connection settings and chose "Manual Setup" or whatever it's called.

IF your routers I.P is infact 192.168.0.1 then enter the following:-

• IP Address : 192.168.0.2
• Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
• Default Gateway : 192.168.0.1
• DNS server (Primary): 192.168.0.1
• DNS server (Secondary): 192.168.0.1

The I.P address highlighted in bold will now be your Xbox's I.P address and it will never change. If you've already reserved 192.168.0.2 for another device then simply chose a higher number on the end. e.g 192.168.0.20 or something.

The I.P addresses which are underlined should be replaced by your routers's I.P (if different from 192.168.0.1).

2) Go into your router settings page. Click Advanced -> Security. In there you should be able to see a DMZ option, or "Default DMZ Server". The "Server I.P" you want to type in is the new I.P of your Xbox (192.168.0.2 in the example above). Click Apply or Save or whatever the option is.

Run the xbox connection test thingy and you should now see that your NAT is open. If not, come back here and ask and I'll try and help.

If it all goes wrong and you just want to get back on xbox live then simply set it back to automatic again.

Hope this helps!
By Red
so, errr... did I scare you off or did this work? :lol:
By TomA
Red wrote:so, errr... did I scare you off or did this work? :lol:
Sorry, meant to say thanks for your help. I will be doing all of the settings changes on Thursday night.

Will let you know. :wink: 8) Thanks again.
By TomA
Red wrote:so, errr... did I scare you off or did this work? :lol:
Mate - this worked for me! You rule. Thank you... I also upgraded the firmware for my router from the Netgear website...

My NAT is now officially 'OPEN'! 8)

Thanks again. :thumbup:
By slamduncan
Ok so i put in Ip address as the 192.168 etc that i use to access my router setup page except with .21 on the end instead of .1 to use as my xbox ip
Then for subnet i put 255.255 etc that is used and gateway u used my router setup address.

I also added the xbox ip as a DMZ on my router

Then when i click check connection it comes up IP address failed.

Any ideas where i'm going wrong?
By Red
I've never seen that error before but if it's as simple as it sounds then I think you must have typed in your router's IP wrong?

Unless your router's IP has a 1 in the 3rd segment? i.e 192.168.1.1?

It should be as simple as this :-

• IP Address : 192.168.0.21 (could be 192.168.1.21 depending on what your router's IP is)
• Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
• Default Gateway : Router's I.P
• DNS server (Primary): Router's I.P
• DNS server (Secondary): Router's I.P

If it still doesn't work then remove the DMZ changes you made to your router, just to make sure you can establish a connection to live first, then we can worry about the NAT setting afterwards.

Some people have problems when using DMZ and can't connect at all so they just port forward instead.
By Dyls
shouldn't it be .2 and not .21?

so if your router is

then exbox is

By Red
Dyls wrote:shouldn't it be .2 and not .21?

so if your router is

then exbox is

Not if you've already reserved .2 for another device :wink:

It can be anything you want. You can have .99 if you really want to.
By slamduncan
Ok, i sorted it and i can now get a connection running!

On the other hand my NAT has jumped from moderate to strict?!

I used my DNS on the router, and everything was entered correctly, why would it become strict?

EDIT: Now on moderate after altering my DNS to correct servers.
Still not getting why it hasnt changed, could it just be a wan* router?
By Red
slamduncan wrote:Ok, i sorted it and i can now get a connection running!

On the other hand my NAT has jumped from moderate to strict?!

I used my DNS on the router, and everything was entered correctly, why would it become strict?

EDIT: Now on moderate after altering my DNS to correct servers.
Still not getting why it hasnt changed, could it just be a wan* router?
Have you forwarded the correct ports to your xbox's I.P address?

You need to forward:-

* UDP 88
* UDP 3074
* TCP 3074

http://www.portforward.com has router specific guides on how to forward ports, although it does seem to quote the incorrect ports for live usage.

You need to use the ports I listed above.

What router do you have?

Anyway, once this is done correctly you should have "Open" NAT.
By slamduncan
I thought i had done that last night, but i forgot i changed the Xbox IP several times trying to make it work.

Created a new rule and bingo!

Now officially open NAT, now i can hopefully connect with my friends' game invites!

Red, you've been a star, thankyou very much!
By andyd
Red wrote:
Dyls wrote:shouldn't it be .2 and not .21?

so if your router is

then exbox is

Not if you've already reserved .2 for another device :wink:

It can be anything you want. You can have .99 if you really want to.
.254 :wink:

Andy
By Waddler
Red,

I owe you a beer. Been struggling with Live for ages on moderate or strict. Tried the DMZ trick and open pops up!!!

Cheers Mate!!
By fingery
I don't know if anything has changed but i'd not been on live for ages and when i went on last week i was suddenly on strict instead of the usual open.

Turned out i had to have uPnP enabled on my router. May be worth a go for you guys with NAT setup correctly but still not open.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]