The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
I've got Sky Fibre set up but the Sky hub they provide is too put it frankly.... s**t
I found a way to use my Asus RT-AC66U with my BT open reach modem by extracting my Sky ID using wireshark and using the merlin firmware on my router.
Full guide here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/how-to ... e.1939217/

Now the recomented set up is A
They say you can use power line adapters like the setup in B
But I want to put my OpenReach modem by the BT socket then use a Powerline Adapter to go through to the front room and plug it into my Asus Router. C
"Is this possible" ?

I have a lot of other AV equipment to plug in to the router and the Sky + box only has an Ethernet socket anyway. There is no wifi dongle input unless you know a way to fit one ?
By conalmcn
You could get a data extension to where you need it or have nte relocated to that room if you have a phone point in that room. Power line adapters are sh-t imo and I wouldn't use them.
Definitely wouldn't recommend it. Speeds do suffer using standard cable. Part of the reason cat5 is used for extensions not the standard 4/6wire cable. The extra cable doesn't make any difference to the line, its just the quality and the fact its not twisted that impacts it.
conalmcn wrote:You could get a data extension to where you need it or have nte relocated to that room if you have a phone point in that room. Power line adapters are sh-t imo and I wouldn't use them.
I'd have to disagree with the comment regarding power line adaptors I know of a few Openreach engineers who use them (myself included)

You lose no speed with them as long as you don't connect the main adaptor to a mains supply running off an extension. Used them for years and have had consistent speeds (37down 8 up on a fttc connection circa 900m from the pcp) I use devolo plugs.
RSFN2GT wrote:
conalmcn wrote:You could get a data extension to where you need it or have nte relocated to that room if you have a phone point in that room. Power line adapters are sh-t imo and I wouldn't use them.
I'd have to disagree with the comment regarding power line adaptors I know of a few Openreach engineers who use them (myself included)

You lose no speed with them as long as you don't connect the main adaptor to a mains supply running off an extension. Used them for years and have had consistent speeds (37down 8 up on a fttc connection circa 900m from the pcp) I use devolo plugs.
I've found them unstable and often lose connection with each other, when they work correct they are a good job but I would not recommend them from what I have seen, i'd go wired every time. Probably a case of getting what you pay for aswell. The more expensive ones may be more stable than what I encountered.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]